PDA

View Full Version : Fork Upgrade - Worthwhile?

krazygl00
08-26-2011, 02:00 PM
I have a year 2000 Serotta Classique with the Serotta F1 carbon fork. I've toyed with the possibility of going to a threadless stem for a variety of reasons; I'm wondering how this fork stacks up to modern carbon forks.

Not looking for huge weight savings, but that would not be a bad side effect, but how would handling and ride quality change? I believe Easton makes a fork with a 1" steerer.

Ken Robb
08-26-2011, 02:51 PM
I had a threaded F1 on my CSi and I loved the ride and handling. My only complaint was that I could barely fit a 700x25 tire in due to limited clearance from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fork.
If you aren't trying to save a little weight and 25mm tires are big enough I don't think you can improve on the performance of an F1 especially if you're a bigger rider.

Pete Serotta
08-26-2011, 03:14 PM
I still have an F1 used regularly on my ti. I could not agree more with what Ken has experienced.

A F3 or S 3 from SEROTTA has same fork rake and ride for me

It is threadless as are other new carbon mft forks so different stack height and also different stem and headset needed.,

Newer ones would allow a 25mm tire and are also somewhat lighter (but I do not notice a ride difference for me between F1 and F3. Yes the S3 and F3 are lighter and handling is excellent and I like the F1 equally Yes I have been accused of being biased

PETE

sg8357
08-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Waterford threadless steel, it looks better than plastic forks.

biker72
08-26-2011, 05:19 PM
I had a threaded F1 on my CSi and I loved the ride and handling. My only complaint was that I could barely fit a 700x25 tire in due to limited clearance from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fork.
If you aren't trying to save a little weight and 25mm tires are big enough I don't think you can improve on the performance of an F1 especially if you're a bigger rider.
700x25's are a little tight for sure. I'm running 700x23 tires on my Titanium Serotta with a threaded F1. Outstanding ride.