PDA

View Full Version : BB Creak Question - BB30

bikerboy337
08-26-2011, 01:49 PM
So.... I've finially got my 2010 Caad9 built up... full campy record... except the cranks... i wanted to use a bb30 crankset since the frame was designed for it, so i opted for a set of Cannondale branded SRAM Red cranks (2010).

I recall when I was doing research that people had issues with creaks on BB30 cranks. I have finially decided that the creak is truly indeed coming from the BB (first thought it was chain rub from the FD, nope, then checked seatpost/seat, relubes, torqued, ran without the post up the block, creak still there.. etc.)

I torqued the crankset to the proper torque and followed all instructions, used phils for lube...

anyone have any advice on trying to fix this thing? I'm going to pull it apart this weekedn and re-install, relube, etc... but wondering if anyone has had this issue and what success they've had....

thanks in advance... this will be my work during the hurricane as long as the mrs. doesnt go into labor...

:beer:

dave thompson
08-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Teflon tape on the threads-in addtion to-well greased and properly torqued seems to keep all my bottom brackets quiet.

Cat3roadracer
08-26-2011, 02:29 PM
I use Ti Prep on all of my BB's regardless of whether or not they are spinning into Ti. No creaks at all.

bikerboy337
08-26-2011, 02:40 PM
only issue is with a bb30 there are no threads.... i guess i could try teflon on the self-extracting crank bolt... those are the only threads though... the bearings are pressed into the frame... so no threads there (unlike my other set up which is a steel ted wojcik with campy ultra-torque)...

FastVegan
08-26-2011, 05:20 PM
I had the same issue, I cleaned the bearings and bb shell and used blue locktight on the bearing/frame mating surface. I installed new bearings at the same time(mine were rough) noise gone.

I think the bb30 design allows a little to much clearance b/w the bearing and bb shell and under load the bearring can move a little causing the noise. There is also a lot of room for error when pressing the bb into the frame, makesure you are in enough but not too much to deform the c-clips that the bb bottoms out on.

Good luck!
Dave

Tim
08-26-2011, 07:05 PM
These BBs require maintenance. A liberal greasing and care full assembly should fix the problem.

rice rocket
08-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Blue loctite works, but they make something specific for this application called bearing retaining compound. It's yellow.

http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Retaining-Compound-PRICE-BOTTLE/dp/B000NZZZ7A

http://www.bettymills.com/store/images/product/442-21458.eps.jpg

Lovetoclimb
08-26-2011, 10:17 PM
While BB30 cranks and BBs are notorious for creaking, I have had two mystery creaks that I originally diagnosed as the BB and it turned out to be chainring bolts. One on a Campy Athena crankset, the other on a Cdale Hollowgram. Awfully annoying I recall, best of luck sorting yours.

laupsi
08-27-2011, 06:57 AM
purchased a new supersix 2 years ago w/sram red, had the same problem but w/cannondale hollowgram cranks and the bb30 that came w/the frame. had to take the bike back to the shop where purchased twice before they got the noise to subside

my lingering issue w/this bike still is the head set; nothing like the days of good old steel and chris king!

oldpotatoe
08-27-2011, 08:01 AM
So.... I've finially got my 2010 Caad9 built up... full campy record... except the cranks... i wanted to use a bb30 crankset since the frame was designed for it, so i opted for a set of Cannondale branded SRAM Red cranks (2010).

I recall when I was doing research that people had issues with creaks on BB30 cranks. I have finially decided that the creak is truly indeed coming from the BB (first thought it was chain rub from the FD, nope, then checked seatpost/seat, relubes, torqued, ran without the post up the block, creak still there.. etc.)

I torqued the crankset to the proper torque and followed all instructions, used phils for lube...

anyone have any advice on trying to fix this thing? I'm going to pull it apart this weekedn and re-install, relube, etc... but wondering if anyone has had this issue and what success they've had....

thanks in advance... this will be my work during the hurricane as long as the mrs. doesnt go into labor...

:beer:

Grease is the key along with better than standard bearings(not ceramic). Wheels manufacturing makes some US made ones. Pry off the bearing seals, grease in there, seals back on. Lots in the shell, around the clips, around the spindle, ETC. They don't call it 'BB Creaky' for nothing.

oldpotatoe
08-27-2011, 08:01 AM
Teflon tape on the threads-in addtion to-well greased and properly torqued seems to keep all my bottom brackets quiet.

BB30-no threads.