PDA

View Full Version : Ave time to manufacture/deliver new Ottrott?

laupsi
08-26-2011, 05:49 AM
Question: Ordered a custom Ottrott SE and was informed it would be about 12 weeks before the frame would ship. In June Serotta boasted new frames can be available in under 5 weeks w/increase carbon/steel capacity, what gives?

Jason E
08-26-2011, 06:05 AM
Though you'd have to ask Serotta, it could be a number of items. When you shorten your lead times, you remove the cushion when things happen. I prefer they would have well enough alone at longer lead times. It avoids this type of sentiment. Not calling you wrong, but if they said 12-16 weeks, you still would have bought it, so why rush.

What did your builder TELL you it would be? That is the real update, not a program laid out on a website.

You are going to love your bike. I am 4 years into my Ottrott and just hung new Record on it after taking some time off from her. I love my Atlanta, too. Both Serottas are long term, and if I was out one for a month, eh, there is always more riding.

Also, keep in mind a guy in NY is MAKING it, not a machine. The quality is ridiculous.

Also, some custom builders are 4 years wait, though the majority are probably 6-12 months.

You'll be fine, enjoy and post pics.

laupsi
08-26-2011, 06:16 AM
No ill will Jason E, & I understand the manufacturing process pretty well after much research. Just chomping for it & considering the claim, Serotta's own mind you, I just wanted an explanation or at the very least, other's experience w/regard to a custom frame.

Having never done this before don't know what to expect.

Jason E
08-26-2011, 06:49 AM
Mine was ordered off season, and was about 8/10 wks iirc.

Your guy told you the wait time, so, I do not know what to tell you. It is in line with custom bikes. As it relates to your bike, ask your fitter to call. Everything else is just nonsense on a website forum.

SPOKE
08-26-2011, 07:43 AM
The paint department is the area that can "backup" pretty quickly. Even though your paint scheme may be relatively simple some orders ahead of you may be very complicated. It's extremely difficult to manage the flow thru the paint shop.
Serotta folks do a great job of making sure they take the time to do it right.

laupsi
08-26-2011, 09:45 AM
seems like the issue of quality and lead time is sort of sacred. ie., it just takes a long time to do custom, accept it bonehead. this is fine, really. I only want to know why it would be advertised differently?

on the hand I heard/read(?) it takes longer to do a custom Serotta than it does a Mercedes. opposed to this is the less than 5 week delivery statement issued in June by Serotta.

I am fine w/the wait, I really am. heck I waited 20 years for this bike and unlike some this will be a once in a lifetime ride for me, w/no intentions what so ever of selling.

it is just a question I am posing on the forum because I think an answer is justfied by the general idea that it takes a long time and this newer idea that hey, we can turn things around in under 5 weeks. :confused:

93legendti
08-26-2011, 10:09 AM
In '07, I had 3 custom bikes built for me. The quoted wait times turned out to be optimistic. I think it's the nature of the beast. I am not sure it is possible to be accurate on a quoted wait time.

laupsi
08-26-2011, 10:26 AM
10/4. for information purposes, my frame will not be painted. it will however have tinted carbon and polished ti. don't know whether this set up is time consuming or not.

Charles M
08-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Not June.

A1CKot
08-26-2011, 01:50 PM
I thought I remember reading that Serotta has increased carbon fiber frame production so the lead times were much less. Maybe you saw that but even still it better than them telling you 5 weeks and delivering in 10.

laupsi
08-26-2011, 02:15 PM
I think it would be appropriate to remove any preconceived notions about 5 weeks if more than twice that is the norm.

cmg
08-26-2011, 03:56 PM
that comment about delivering in 5 weeks is still in their news/events page. guess they should add "some models may vary" to the statement. it takes as long as it takes. in june they were reminding potential customers that if they ordered before June 10 they could save approx. 10% against cost increases. so maybe there doing all the new orders. enjoy the Ottrott you'll going to dig it.

Pete Serotta
08-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Name, address, dealer from, when ordered and I will check into it.

I have never seen an OTTROTT in 5 weeks...(not even the one I have from 2 years go,)
a

I will track down your info and personally get back to you. Also if ordered in JUNE, you were already in the BUSY season for everything and 5 weeks was mis quoted to you for an OTTROTT or MOST frames>

Please feel free to contact me and I will track down the hold up. PETE

and also provide RED wine :beer:

The tinted carbon will look VERY NICE but is still painted in the same shop..

I think it would be appropriate to remove any preconceived notions about 5 weeks if more than twice that is the norm.

rugbysecondrow
08-26-2011, 04:50 PM
The release reads:

Save up to 10% before June 10!.....
Thursday, June 2nd 2011
Only 9 days left before prices go up!

Over the past eight months we’ve incurred numerous cost increases- shipping costs, raw materials and components, in some cases as high as 20%.

We’ve just released our new pricing to dealerships with increases across the board ranging from 5-10% depending on the frame model and component selection. We are honoring the 2011 posted prices on any order placed before the close of business June 10, 2011…so if you’ve been thinking about a new Serotta…now is the time!

We’ve increased our carbon and steel capacity with deliveries of your new Serotta in under 5 weeks!

Not to split hairs, but your Ottrott is TI and Carbon, a bit of a difference from what was noted in the press release. 12 weeks is reasonable and it seems if they told you upfront, you have an opportunity to accept or not accept those terms. Not terribly complicated, although I fully understand the excitement that surrounds getting a custom frame.

Charles M
08-26-2011, 06:08 PM
If one waits till after the deal deadline to order a product that wasn't included in the deal... I think it fair that the terms can be different.

happycampyer
08-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Fwiw, I ordered a MeiVici this past spring when the turn-around promo was first introduced, and I think it took about 4 - 5 weeks from final sign-off to delivery, including custom paint. At the time, I was on the fence between a MeiVici and an Ottrott (having owned both), I recall that the lead time of the Ottrott was longer than the MeiVici then, too. Not that it made a difference to me—I would gladly wait 10 weeks for an Ottrott, if that had been my choice (maybe next year...).

My custom RSL took Moots 10 - 12 weeks as well, so it's not necessarily unique to Serotta.

laupsi
08-26-2011, 06:28 PM
wow, guess I opened up the proverbial can of worms. let me be clear, I was never promised the frame/fork in 5 weeks from anyone, in fact I was told a week after placing the order that it would take 12 weeks. in fact I remember stating that Serotta is doing pretty well despite this awful economy given the lead times. I am also very happy w/the service I have received from Lutherville Bike Shop. Eric is a complete professional and has handled me w/kid gloves and w/much attention, especially during the fit phase of my purchase.

I did not order the frame/fork in June, I just ordered at the beginning of August. The advertisment I saw was dated June 10th.

finally I really am very excited about this new f/f and far from being at all peeved. I simply thought there was some advertising that didn't ring true to my experience and was asking what the normal wait was for others. my personal opinion, I don't think the ad ties the price increase together w/the 5 week wait period either. there are other retailers of Serotta who have a 6 week claim on their web sites, check out "road worx" web site, but do not mention anything about the price increase, they must be reading it the same as me. does the retailer road worx get special treatment?

enough from me already. I will enjoy my new Ottrott when she arrives and promise to share many fine pics on the forum for all to enjoy! :hello:

rugbysecondrow
08-26-2011, 06:35 PM
wow, guess I opened up the proverbial can of worms. let me be clear, I was never promised the frame/fork in 5 weeks from anyone, in fact I was told a week after placing the order that it would take 12 weeks. in fact I remember stating that Serotta is doing pretty well despite this awful economy given the lead times. I am also very happy w/the service I have received from Lutherville Bike Shop. Eric is a complete professional and has handled me w/kid gloves and w/much attention, especially during the fit phase of my purchase.

I did not order the frame/fork in June, I just ordered at the beginning of August. The advertisment I saw was dated June 10th.

finally I really am very excited about this new f/f and far from being at all peeved. I simply thought there was some advertising that didn't ring true to my experience and was asking what the normal wait was for others. my personal opinion, I don't think the ad ties the price increase together w/the 5 week wait period either. there are other retailers of Serotta who have a 6 week claim on their web sites, check out "road worx" web site, but do not mention anything about the price increase, they must be reading it the same as me. does the retailer road worx get special treatment?

enough from me already. I will enjoy my new Ottrott when she arrives and promise to share many fine pics on the forum for all to enjoy! :hello:

I would love to see your Ottrott when it comes it, give me a shout and maybe we can hook up for a ride this fall (can't believe I just typed fall).

Cheers

Paul

PaMtbRider
08-26-2011, 06:55 PM
I would love to see your Ottrott when it comes it, give me a shout and maybe we can hook up for a ride this fall (can't believe I just typed fall).

Cheers

Paul
Could this be the start of a Serotta forum Baltimore DC area weekend ride?

laupsi
08-26-2011, 07:29 PM
yes, could very well be :beer:

rugbysecondrow
08-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Some of us gather occasionally in Ellicott City and ride. If you Holyoke it, they will come.

Mabe we need a mid Atlantic/Baltimore/DC fall ride?

dhoff
08-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Congratulations on the Ottrott to come. I was at the factory this week and got to see a new Ottrott in final polishing. what an incredibly beautiful frame.

John H.
08-26-2011, 10:32 PM
I got a custom Legend in less than 2 weeks in 2004- but it was all ti and unpainted.