PDA

View Full Version : Going Minimalist

BobbyJones
08-25-2011, 10:58 PM
Some recent "I've got too much crap" thoughts while preparing for an upcoming move got me thinking:

DUMP IT ALL AND START OVER!

So I'm doing it. Getting rid of the 6 pair of cycling shorts i never wear but may need "just in case". Same with the 3rd extra pair of Cannondale Neoprene booties so old the cutout is for a cleat. You get the idea.

Keeping a few favorite recent purchases, but I'm asking the group: If you were starting over and want to keep your gear minimalist, what would your list look like?

jgspin
08-26-2011, 12:17 AM
I've only been cycling about 3 1/2 years so I think I don't have as much stuff as many of you. But I'm starting to collect here and there and if my wife were to look in the attic she might start to put her foot down. SO until she tells me to cut back or the ceiling collapses, I guess I will keep collecting stuff I like and might need someday. :)

1happygirl
08-26-2011, 12:26 AM
Dump: Floor pump, extra helmets (u can only wear one), Computrainer, extra handlebars, grocery bag panniers or any extra ones (u can only ride one set )

Keep: Rollers, extra wheels.

DRZRM
08-26-2011, 12:31 AM
Floor pump?? Only if you pried it from my cold dead hands!! How do you inflate your tires?

Dump: Floor pump, extra helmets (u can only wear one), Computrainer, extra handlebars, grocery bag panniers or any extra ones (u can only ride one set )

BobbyJones
08-26-2011, 12:57 AM

I should have been more clear. I was thinking about clothing; stuff you wear. Already did a purge with parts earlier this year and besides my Saris Fluid 2 and a Floor Pump all spare parts fit into medium sized rubbermaid-style bin.

I totally forgot about the extra helmets in the closet. Crap.

1happygirl
08-26-2011, 12:58 AM
Blow up tires with frame pump.

You did say minimalist!!!!! (plus it burns extra calories that way :rolleyes: )

All extra computers except GPS models. Extra heartrate watches go out!!!

Ride tee shirts make into quilt and save those. No extra tees or gloves/bad socks like sockguy. ick.

rustychisel
08-26-2011, 01:18 AM
hmm, well there's that old pair of Adidas bibshorts with the totally worn out lycra (but if I wear a layer underneath I can get away with them), and there's the Banesto midweight sleeved jersey with the busted zip (but I really like that and would wear it - if the zip wasn't busted, and I might get around to seeing if a guy could replace it sometime), and then there's the stretched long legs which would possibly fit someone 7ft3in (but you never know).

Nah. But this morning I threw out a pair of socks which ripped through when I pulled them on. That's a pretty big contribution.

fogrider
08-26-2011, 02:09 AM
Blow up tires with frame pump.

You did say minimalist!!!!! (plus it burns extra calories that way :rolleyes: )

All extra computers except GPS models. Extra heartrate watches go out!!!

Ride tee shirts make into quilt and save those. No extra tees or gloves/bad socks like sockguy. ick.
really? i love my floor pump...but then I'm not throwing out my stuff!

jr59
08-26-2011, 02:12 AM
hmm, well there's that old pair of Adidas bibshorts with the totally worn out lycra (but if I wear a layer underneath I can get away with them), and there's the Banesto midweight sleeved jersey with the busted zip (but I really like that and would wear it - if the zip wasn't busted, and I might get around to seeing if a guy could replace it sometime), and then there's the stretched long legs which would possibly fit someone 7ft3in (but you never know).

Nah. But this morning I threw out a pair of socks which ripped through when I pulled them on. That's a pretty big contribution.

Glad to see you doing your part! :p

palincss
08-26-2011, 07:04 AM

So, following your logic re: helmets and extra panniers, how do you make use of those extra wheels? You can, after all, only ride two (or, at most, with a trike conversion, three)...

Nooch
08-26-2011, 07:23 AM
I'll take all helmets, wheels, and paniers and dispose of them properly.

and in a few months you'll see me on "Hoarders"

rwsaunders
08-26-2011, 07:30 AM
And here I thought that you were referring to the naked bike ride in St. Louis...I removed the link.

Steve in SLO
08-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Beware: The above link contains graphic images of pasty, pimply bodies.
Picture 3 was nearly enough to send me back to bed in a fetal position, or to an early start drinking.

rwsaunders
08-26-2011, 10:01 AM
Beware: The above link contains graphic images of pasty, pimply bodies.
Picture 3 was nearly enough to send me back to bed in a fetal position, or to an early start drinking.

Sorry...I'll take it off, as I didn't check the link.

false_Aest
08-26-2011, 11:07 AM
1 bike: Steel. TIG. all CF fork. Ultegra or Force. 24/28H DA hubs laced with CX-Rays to Major Tom or C2 rims. Geometry to sit somewhere in between CX and Road -- I want to be able to ride 32mm tires if I choose to (and yes, I will do a crit on a cx bike).

1 helmet: Giro
4 kits: Verge or Capo
1 pair of shoes: Lake
10 pairs of Smartwool Socks
2 20oz h20 bottles.
2 24oz h20 bottles.
lezyne CNC floor pump.
extra tubular.
frame pump.
front/rear lights.
waterproof/shockproof camera

folding repair stand.
set of really nice ratcheting screw drivers
ritchey torque wrench
stein cassette tool
chain tool
pedros allen wrenches
minimalist ratchet set
steel toolbox.

and, if I were to move away from SoCal.

2 winter kits
rollers with resistance unit

Elefantino
08-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Get rid of every jersey I didn't win or earn.

All shorts with holes, go.

Lose the extra pairs of shoes. I think I have three extras.

Thirty-six pairs of socks is too many.

Fixed
08-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Hyacinths

If of thy mortal goods thou art bereft,
And in thy meager store there are but left
Two loaves
Sell one, and with the dole
Buy hyacinths to feed thy soul.

—Sadi: Persian Poet of the 12th Century

cheers

BobbyJones
08-26-2011, 01:03 PM
I think I'm going with:

Two Pairs of bib shorts
Two Pairs of bib knickers ( I like knickers)
One Pair Winter Bibs
Two Pairs of shorts

Two SS Jerseys
Two LS Jerseys

Winter Jacket
Rain Jacket
Leg warmers

Pr. Booties

Lt Wt Gloves (thank you BarMitts)

1 pr Sidis

wool cap.

Let's see how this works out.