PDA

View Full Version : Buckling down for IRENE

Smiley
08-25-2011, 06:36 PM
The wife says to put the sailboat in the garage...this from somebody that wanted it out of the driveway :) and gone before.

Maybe my escape vehicle of choice. Hello Irene comming to Washington DC. Bummer for the folks that are comming for the unveiling of the MLK memorial Sunday.

akelman
08-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Good luck, Smiley. I hope it's only a glancing blow.

Nooch
08-25-2011, 06:57 PM
We're in a third floor walk up in NJ, so we'll be pulling our air conditioners out of the windows sunday morning. After that we'll be heading to my mother-in-law's house which is a constant flooder (cape with a down-pitched driveway, garage under the house, and flooding from the backyard - joy.), manning the sump pumps and making sure the generator gets turned on to keep the pumps going.

it's going to be a long frickin weekend.

MadeinGermany
08-25-2011, 07:31 PM
I'll move the plastic patio chairs to the garage, and that'll be me. Don't expect this to be more than a lot of rain and a bit of wind.

godfrey1112000
08-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Loaded heading to the east coast with costco water,

$12 a case taking pre orders

Pete Serotta
08-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Hope the weather passes off shore

Pete

Ralph
08-25-2011, 08:07 PM
If you are in it's path, this is a serious storm.

We rode out Charlie, and listened as it peeled away our roof. No flooding issue though, which folks will have with this one. A storm surge coming in on a high tide, can roll over low areas. You might spend a night on your roof or in a tree (that has happened).

We promised ourselves we would never ride out another hurricane. Hit the road instead.

Steve in SLO
08-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Best of luck to everyone in the path.

FlashUNC
08-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Heading down to Wilmington tomorrow to cover it. Should be fun.

hockeybike
08-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Hey smiley. I just got a new saddle. I think I need a refit on Saturday. I'll bring you a whole apple tree this time.

:D

rounder
08-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Good luck Smiley. I believe this going to be a big one. Am prepared for lots of wind and rain. Hope it blows right on by.

WickedWheels
08-25-2011, 09:09 PM
My apartment is on the water on the northern shore of Long Island. During storms the water often breaks over the balcony and smashes against the sliding glass door... leaking inside once in a while.

I'm going to wait to see how bad it really is before hitting the road. DC guys, keep me posted. I'll be unplugging the electrical stuff in the house and making sure everyone knows where the flashlights are. Hoping to be entertained by this and not have to evacuate.

Ray
08-25-2011, 09:12 PM
We're far enough inland and up high enough that I don't expect anything worse than power outages here. But I'm worried about what's gonna happen to people further east and in lower lying areas. Looks like its gonna be a mutha!

-Ray

jghall
08-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Good luck to all that may be in the Ms. path. What many do not realize, generally focusing on the Florida, Louisanna, Texas, and Lina's area, if something very bad where to hit upper NE, it is very likely to cause more $ losses than the named storms that most can recall the names of.

Best Wishes all.

rounder
08-25-2011, 09:56 PM
I remember hurricane bob. Drove daughter to Maine for the week. Drove throuhg Bob on the way back. It was a super bummer. Had to drive through western mass just to evade the hurricane eye.

Lifelover
08-25-2011, 10:20 PM
As of now, Virginia Beach is in the direct path. I work at the Naval Shipyard and we have been going Ape ***** with storm preps. The navy sends every sea worthy ship out and the rest take safe haven with us. 2 carriers, 3 subs, a LHD and a bunch of LBBs.

I'll send the family to the in-laws in Chesapeake and I'll hunker down at work. Should be an interesting weekend!

firerescuefin
08-25-2011, 10:30 PM
As of now, Virginia Beach is in the direct path. I work at the Naval Shipyard and we have been going Ape ***** with storm preps. The navy sends every sea worthy ship out and the rest take safe haven with us. 2 carriers, 3 subs, a LHD and a bunch of LBBs.

I'll send the family to the in-laws in Chesapeake and I'll hunker down at work. Should be an interesting weekend!

Stay safe bro...have ridden out about 4 of those when in Fla....fun :rolleyes:

BdaGhisallo
08-26-2011, 04:59 AM
Living in Bermuda for 40 years, I have been through many, many hurricanes, all the way up to a direct hit from a Cat 3 in 2003 that took 14 hours to pass over us.

For anyone in its path, please take this seriously. These things are dangerous. Get to safety and secure your property and belongings. Anything that is outside, and is something you can lift, could potentially get launched into the air by a hurricane force gust. Put anything like that inside or ensure that it won't move. Once debris gets airborne it becomes a shard of missiles. You have no idea the damage a flying 2x4 can do!

Take care and be safe.

jr59
08-26-2011, 06:29 AM
This is a big storm!

PLEASE if you are in it's path, RUN!!
PLEASE do NOT be a hard ass, or underestimate this storm
or think it will not be that bad. The trouble with that is, that could bring DEATH! I hope and pray that does not happen to anyone. But it could and will if people do not take extreme and I do mean extreme care and caution.

Look at it this way, if you run and nothing happens, GREAT!
If you don't, and it gets bad, and it could get VERY bad, it's to late to run and then you will worry about life and how you are going to survive, and not only the storm, but even after, you won't be able to leave, or do anything but sit there in the hot and wet.

So PLEASE, pretty PLEASE, Take care and run if you can.

God bless all in this storms way!

Dekonick
08-26-2011, 08:31 AM
I am probably going to have a LONG weekend... I hate leaving my family to fend alone while we work to mitigate what we can... but that is life. Advice:

1) buy batteries, a tarp or 2, duct tape, flashlights
2) buy bottled water - put as much as you can in your fridge and freezer - get it cold/frozen to keep your food cold if/when you lose power.. and you can drink it too!
3) remove umbrella's, chairs, anything that can become a missile (as stated elsewhere - 2x4's can fly and penetrate walls...
4) expect to lose phone - texting and social networks are best for keeping loved ones informed.
5)put on your fenders and ride your Bedford with 38 tires... :)
6)if you are in a possible flood zone, move your electronics to a higher level or friends home
7) fill up all of your gas cans, cars, propane, etc... and be prepared to leave... i would leave early if you have pets as most shelters don't allow them.

:crap:

dsimon
08-26-2011, 08:37 AM
I have Extra room if you want me to store you Bikes :rolleyes:

Chance
08-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Evacuations are not always 100 percent safe either so people need to use their best judgment and heed official warnings. States that deal with hurricanes on a regular basis have learned that staying put is sometimes the best choice to improve safety. The biggest problem seems to be that many people wait until the last minute to evacuate and then there are traffic jams and fuel shortages which leave them stranded without adequate shelter, water and food.

Only advice here is that if you plan to evacuate do it early so it can be orderly. Waiting to last minute may endanger you, your family, and others who need access to roads.

LouDeeter
08-26-2011, 08:42 AM
It's passing 200 miles east of Orlando now. We have blue skies to the west and south, but heavy storm clouds are visible to the east. The air is very "tropical" with loads of moisture and tropical warm air. I rode my bike this morning, expecting strong gusts, but it was about like any other morning. Good advice given from all. Fill up the car, propane, charge your cell phones, have water on hand. If you are expecting to lose power, fill up a bathtub with water so that you have something to wash and cook with other than bottled water. Good luck everyone!

bikerboy337
08-26-2011, 08:47 AM
The wife is due with baby #2 next Friday... storm is supposed to hit us in RI on Sunday... just hoping that she doesnt' go into labor this weekend! Hoping we can stay safe and dont suffer much damage to our house... we'll see.. dont think my 1945 colonial was build for hurricane force winds....

jr59
08-26-2011, 09:12 AM
Congrats on the birth of your child.
Chances are it will be born about when the storm hits.
This happens a lot. Your Dr's should know about it.

Good luck all!

EDS
08-26-2011, 09:22 AM

I heard that they are evacuating all non-residents from Virginia Beach. True? Stay safe.

skijoring
08-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Congrats on the birth of your child.
Chances are it will be born about when the storm hits.
This happens a lot. Your Dr's should know about it.

Good luck all!

Let's hope for the best, and not accentuate the negatives huh?

:beer:

93legendti
08-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Let's hope for the best, and not accentuate the negatives huh?

:beer:
+1

bikerboy337
08-26-2011, 10:37 AM
She was at the dr. this morning... and the dr. said to take it easy... we dont want to go into labor this weekend as they are already inducing people early in preparation for the hurricane... therefore all rooms are full at women and infants, and people are in the hallways... good stuff! They dont think she'll go in the next few days, unless her water breaks.... which is what happened last time :banana:

IFRider
08-26-2011, 10:45 AM
We were building our house (colonial) in NH when it hit. Framing and sheathing was complete as was roof. No windows were installed. When I check the house, the wind has sucked all the saw dust inside the house into 2 very neat piles on each floor. That was kind of kewl ...

Loading up gas for the generator. If I flood, most of the east coast us under water ...

Stay safe all ..

I remember hurricane bob. Drove daughter to Maine for the week. Drove throuhg Bob on the way back. It was a super bummer. Had to drive through western mass just to evade the hurricane eye.

IFRider
08-26-2011, 10:59 AM
Not to drink, but to flush toilets ... Forgot that during he last winter storm to took out power ...

Warren

I am probably going to have a LONG weekend... I hate leaving my family to fend alone while we work to mitigate what we can... but that is life. Advice:

1) buy batteries, a tarp or 2, duct tape, flashlights
2) buy bottled water - put as much as you can in your fridge and freezer - get it cold/frozen to keep your food cold if/when you lose power.. and you can drink it too!
3) remove umbrella's, chairs, anything that can become a missile (as stated elsewhere - 2x4's can fly and penetrate walls...
4) expect to lose phone - texting and social networks are best for keeping loved ones informed.
5)put on your fenders and ride your Bedford with 38 tires... :)
6)if you are in a possible flood zone, move your electronics to a higher level or friends home
7) fill up all of your gas cans, cars, propane, etc... and be prepared to leave... i would leave early if you have pets as most shelters don't allow them.

:crap: