PDA

View Full Version : DC randonneur killed on Paris-Brest-Paris

phcollard
08-25-2011, 11:59 AM
A sad news. I think it has not been relayed here yet and maybe some of you would like to know... Prayers to his family...

The following from Bill Beck RBA for DC Randonneurs:

Some of you may have heard that an American rider at PBP was killed on Monday after an accident involving a truck. I am very sorry to report that the rider was our friend and fellow DC Randonneur, Thai Pham. The only details that have been published about the accident indicate that it was near *Médréac, en IIle-et-Vilaine, *on the route to Saint-Pern, between Tinteniac and Loudeac.

Thai rode his first brevet with us at the Flatbread 200K last November, and rode most recently in the Shenandoah 600K in June. Thai was a very sweet and polite man who clearly loved randonneuring. Even when he finished over the time limit in the Urbana 200K in March, he was still happy to complete the ride under his own power and determined to earn his Super Randonneur award so that he could attend PBP. He will be truly missed by all of us who got to ride with him or talk with him at the post-ride pizza parties. Some pictures of Thai are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/wabeck/sets/72157627507103844/detail/.

Thai's sister and his family would like to get more information about what happened at the accident. So if any of you are reading this in France, and have additional direct information, please let me know.

I will send additional information as it becomes available. In the meantime, please keep Thai's family in your thoughts and prayers.

Bill Beck

RBA for DC Randonneurs

palincss
08-25-2011, 12:34 PM
More information on the accident:

I am a Frenchman from Quédillac, very close to Médréac, and on that night I was myself at the Quédillac control for all the PBP 2011 randonneurs; I was busy with offering food for the randonneurs. About 7:20 PM help was called for an accident in the town of Médréac. One of my friends was part of the safety team called to the site of the accident. Unfortunately, Thai Pham was dead by the time help arrived, they could do nothing to save him, I know they took a lot of care during more than two hours to extract Thai Pham from the accident scene. The authorities were there for the preliminary findings of the inquiry, they will give their conclusions about the circumstances of this accident to the family, as they always do.

He was run over by an 8x4 truck carrying livestock feed.

I know this road and it's certain that truck and cars drive rather fast, and what's more there were many randonneurs on this road; at the end of the day the truck drivers want to finish their day as fast as possible and make the maximum number of deliveries ... the randonneurs had already ridden many kilometers from Paris and were already fatigued ... many things which contribute to such a tragedy. At the time of the accident it was not raining anymore; there was a storm later in the evening.

My friend from the safety team is very affected by this accident ... I know exactly where Thai Pham had his accident, if you wish I can go there and take some photos and send them to you ... all the cyclists of our club send our warmest regards [perhaps better translated as "condolences"] to you his friends as well as his family. --Herveo
(Translation by Charles Coldwell, message posted to the Randon list.)

mister
08-25-2011, 12:41 PM
damn. that's really sad.

LouDeeter
08-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Thai Pham has been an active cyclist for a number of years that I've gotten to know him via email. This is terrible news.

topher
08-25-2011, 01:43 PM
On a day where i've been watching for news of friends finishing, and sending congratulations, this is very sad news and a reminder of the risks involved.

My thoughts are with his family. I am comforted by the idea that he was doing something he loved, but hope future tragedy can be avoided at PBP, where so many riders are on the road. RIP.

rwsaunders
08-25-2011, 02:35 PM
He's in a better place...my sympathies to his friends and family.

konstantkarma
08-25-2011, 02:39 PM
This is very sad. Condolences to his friends and family.

wooly
08-25-2011, 02:50 PM
How sad. He looked like a sweet guy. Thoughts to his family.

It also makes me think twice about those rides. I've always hoped to do one and still probably will. But dang...

gone
08-25-2011, 03:56 PM
This news really affected me. I have 6 friends that are riding in this years PBP, all for a second time. I confess my first thought when I heard that someone from the US was killed was "I hope my friends are OK". Then I stopped short and thought somebody's friend/significant other isn't OK. I thought of all the work my friends had done to qualify, plan for the trip, get their bikes ready, etc., and also thought of how our circle of friends followed their progress through qualifying and the ride itself. This really brought it home to me and I have the deepest sympathies for his loved ones and friends.

Pyramor
08-25-2011, 06:15 PM
When I read this my thoughts were immediately drawn to the immortal words of John Donne:

"No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as a manor of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

My condolences to his family.

Fixed
08-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Yearning for him I slept in sadness
And saw him in a dream.
Had I known it was a dream
I never would have woken with the dawn.

Kokinshū, Poem 552

R2D2
08-26-2011, 02:24 AM
I road past the site shortly after the acident. I was very shaken seeing a silver tarp with broken frame underneath. I knew it was not good. I said Hail Marys all thru the night for the rider.

rdparadise
08-26-2011, 08:40 AM
That is so sad. My condolences to his loved ones. These long distance rides with overnight cycling and very little rest can and are very dangerous. I know it's an accomplishment to complete an ultra long distance ride. It's just so sad.

Bob

konstantkarma
08-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Nothing is known as to whether his state of exhaustion contributed to him being run over by a truck. This is speculation. In fact, the information from members of the French club discussed above suggests that this is a road where truckers can be very careless in their attempts to complete as many runs as possible. For the sake of his friends and family, let's not speculate about fault at this time.

That is so sad. My condolences to his loved ones. These long distance rides with overnight cycling and very little rest can and are very dangerous. I know it's an accomplishment to complete an ultra long distance ride. It's just so sad.

Bob

goonster
08-26-2011, 09:06 AM
These long distance rides with overnight cycling and very little rest can and are very dangerous.
This happened relatively early in the event. Most riders are not severely fatigued at this point.

hiljentaa
08-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Terrible to hear. Stories like these always make me a bit weary. Condolences to his friends and family.

sc53
08-26-2011, 09:35 AM
This is terrible, and so sad for Thai's friends and family. Are there often fatalities in PBP? I hadn't heard of one before but I've only been following for a few years. My brother in law just finished RAAM where fatigue is definitely a factor, for both rider and crew.

goonster
08-26-2011, 10:22 AM
Are there often fatalities in PBP?
There have been a few, but I'm not aware of a definitive list.

An Italian rider suffered fatal injuries last year, and fatigue is believed to have been a factor, but I believe the circumstances are not entirely clear.

Also last year, a rider collided frontally with a car in Brest. He suffered serious injuries, but recovered after extensive treatment.

Harriet Fell's account of the 1975 edition also mentions a fatality.

zap
08-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Sad news.

I'm not involved in the DC randonneur scene though I know some from rides long ago.

Condolences to family and friends.

edl
08-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Yearning for him I slept in sadness
And saw him in a dream.
Had I known it was a dream
I never would have woken with the dawn.

Kokinshū, Poem 552

That's a very nice poem, thanks for sharing.
He does look like a very nice man in the photos.

unwell_ultra
08-26-2011, 11:39 PM
[QUOTE=wooly]
It also makes me think twice about those rides.

Accidents can happen on ANY ride! Doesn't have to an endurance event where fatigue or night riding is a factor.

On my 50 mile ride today I was passed by a PU towing a utility trailer and behind the trailer he was dragging about 8 ft. of what looked like 3/8 in chain with a hook on the end. The chain would be straight then whip 2 - 3 ft into the bike lane, go straight and then whip again. Thank God the chain was straight when I was passed.

R2D2
08-27-2011, 01:10 AM
I had riden with Thai Pham. Yesterday I climbed the 200 steps with legs aching in pain to the summit of the butte Montmartre and entered Sacré-Cœur.
I said prayers for Thai. We will ride again someday.

bambam
08-29-2011, 03:16 PM
This happened relatively early in the event. Most riders are not severely fatigued at this point.

This distance was not early in the event. It is somewhere between 220 and 270 miles. I went throught this point not having slept since the start. At that point I was awake for more than 24 hours. My condolences go out to the people who were touched by this man. I have no idea what the situation was for this rider at the time of the accident.

d.vader123
08-29-2011, 04:20 PM
My condolences...Thinking of his family and friends.

bigmoustache
09-23-2011, 02:02 AM
Hi, I'am from Belgium.

Just before the accident, the truck has past nearly ower (small) group at high speed. I tought by myself crazy fool. Ten minutes later I saw the truck again transverse on the road with...... (I dont won't give details on the forum)

I was very shocked. At this moment there was not yet police or an ambulance. Some cyclist where doing the first aid and other regulate the traffic on the road.

The day after when I'm passing on the same place of the accident, at the border there was already a crusifix with flowers. There was also a man who wants to show (all cyclists) me whats happend hier yesterday. I stopt and ask him the circumstance of the accident. I say a prayer and continue my way to Paris with my thoughts to Pham Thai.

To the family an friends, my condolences

Bigmoustache :-}

gone
09-23-2011, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the further update Bigmoustache. A very sad event.

Louis
09-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Hi, I'am from Belgium.

Hello Bigmoustache,

On a happier note, Bienvenue to the forum :)

What bike did you use for PBP?

Louis

bigmoustache
09-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Bonjour Louis,

I ride with a bike of my local store (Capino).Good frame