PDA

View Full Version : ..think I found the source of a noise, maybe.

572cv
08-25-2011, 10:15 AM
I have had a clatter-y sound in my drive train on a ti bike for a while. Its one of those difficult sounds which have been the subject of many threads. There have been no obvious sources of mine, but last week, while cleaning the rear cluster, I noticed that the middle cogs wobbled slightly under the brush. The cluster is a sram 11-28 on an older hed bastogne, ca 2007, with the gold colored free hub. When I pulled the cluster, the ridges in the freehub were pocked out where the cogs pushed against them. Fine tuning the observation, I found that the noise was not apparent when I had the chain in the bottom three cogs, which are grouped together with rivets, but reappears as soon as one gets to the middle and smaller cogs, which are individual. The lock nut is fully tightened, btw.

It looks like I'm in the market for a good freehub. I see that hed has the part, but if there any more generic replacements anyone knows of, I'd be pleased to hear of it.

Perhaps this observation will be useful to someone on the forum as well. Or perhaps someone has observations on my observation....

avalonracing
08-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Or it could be that you forgot that you installed one of these:

http://www.vat19.com/dvds/trailertheater.cfm?productID=turbospoke

konstantkarma
08-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Hilarious!

Or it could be that you forgot that you installed one of these:

http://www.vat19.com/dvds/trailertheater.cfm?productID=turbospoke

Ralph
08-25-2011, 01:24 PM
I have a friend who had the same problem on a Shimano cassette. His lock nut was tight also.

But the smallest cog was not seated properly, allowing some movement from the individual cogs. You could not tell this from looking at it. Once I seated the small cog properly, it was fixed. The cassette was fine.

PaulE
08-25-2011, 02:24 PM
If you have another complete wheel with cassette you can swap into that bike to verify the noise is coming from the rear wheel, that would be good. If the noise is gone, I would next try another cassette on the HED wheel. Perhaps another cassette will engage on the freehub in slightly different spots. Aluminum freehubs are subject to gouging, but I haven't seen one gouged to the point of loose sprockets in my limited experience. A SRAM Powerdome cassette only engages the freewheel with the aluminum plate inside the largest sprocket and the two smallest sprockets which are separate, but that may give you a whole other set of noises.

rice rocket
08-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Sounds like you were/are missing a cassette spacer, and the threads of the lockring "nut" were bottoming out before it generated any clamping force. Even a 1mm spacer can make a difference.

572cv
08-25-2011, 07:36 PM
and a TURBO-SPOKE to eliminate the noise by masking it! What more could anyone ask! :rolleyes: Well, I'll check out things and see if any of these work. I have another cassette, so I can check out the spacer situation pretty easily, at least. Thanks all.

LesMiner
08-26-2011, 07:21 AM
Contact HED they can replace the spline alone. You do not need to replace the entire hub. If you are handy enough you can replace the spline yourself. Or an LBS may be able to do it.