PDA

View Full Version : Vail TT

firerescuefin
08-25-2011, 01:57 AM
Excited to see this stage. I have ridden this route many times....the last time towing my 2 little guys. Would not want to TT it....Should be fun to watch. Tommy D rode a great stage today....The course really suits him. Hoping to see him take it tomorrow. :beer:

tiretrax
08-25-2011, 03:45 PM
Looks like they're starting in East Vail and finishing up the trail just before the turn to cross under 70. I would like to see them going up the hill where the Copper Triangle rest stop is - that's a steep hill. Looks like the road grafiti from the Tour of Colorado has been painted over. When riding the CT, I love going over the names of past great riders painted on the pavement.

Tough course - great jobs by the riders, beautiful day to be on the trail, but I think Bruce K could take any of these guys!

Bruce K
08-25-2011, 04:50 PM
Aw shucks, I'm blushing..... :rolleyes:

I only wish I could climb that well.

Yes, that is mostly the "fugly road" across the face of Vail that we ride on Copper Triangle from the middle of Vail to the early part of the Vail Pass climb.

Inspiration for next year. :banana:

BK

harlond
08-25-2011, 04:56 PM
CN reports that Tommy D is sick, though he will probably ride.

Nooch
08-25-2011, 05:35 PM
anybody know what wheels Levi was running? They were unmarked, so I'm curious :)

Bruce K
08-25-2011, 06:04 PM
They looked kind of like Lightweight tubular disc and deep front

BK

firerescuefin
08-25-2011, 06:10 PM
They looked kind of like Lightweight tubular disc and deep front

BK

Think your right on...Know they use the lightweight disc and I saw something about a Hed rim and bongrager hub on the front. Would have like to see this go all the way to the top of the pass rather than halfway.

Bruce K
08-25-2011, 06:38 PM
The front did not really look like a Stinger to me. The sides seemed a little too flat, more like Lightweight's deep rim.

It could be a prototype but if it is, it's sort of a departure for designs and theories Steve Hed has used in the past.

BK

rockdude
08-26-2011, 07:32 AM
Went up and watched the TT, What a great race and I have never seen so many bike fans in my life. What a great event...

Bruce K
08-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Watched it again last night on the replay.

I freely admit I was working HARD going up there after the first three climbs of Copper and I was in my 34-26/28.

Those guys were in their BIG RING !!! :eek:

Yes they suffered but it was a TT but holy cow !!!

Yes, the crowd rivaled any european climb for numbers and nuttiness. It scared the :crap: out of me watching some places where the people were completely covering the road and were only opening the hole for the rider at the very last minute. It would have been a disaster if someone had been knocked down.

BK

firerescuefin
08-26-2011, 08:18 AM
The front did not really look like a Stinger to me. The sides seemed a little too flat, more like Lightweight's deep rim.

It could be a prototype but if it is, it's sort of a departure for designs and theories Steve Hed has used in the past.

BK

little more digging, it was an 808.

torquer
08-26-2011, 09:31 AM
I always expect TT stages to be boring, until I start watching, and get sucked in to the action (or is it pain? I hated TTs when I raced.) Maybe having a DVR helps, but I really enjoyed the ToC TT I watched live in Solvang a few years ago, too; something about the crowd's energy, plus the wait between riders gives you a chance to savor the whole scene.

One criticism of the Versus coverage: I could have done without the extended "coverage" of the exhausted and dejected Teejay after his ride. Give the guy a break! He's feeling like crap, looking like his dog just died, and here's a video camera in his face. TMI, as far as I'm concerned.

tiretrax
08-26-2011, 10:39 AM
I always expect TT stages to be boring, until I start watching, and get sucked in to the action (or is it pain? I hated TTs when I raced.) Maybe having a DVR helps, but I really enjoyed the ToC TT I watched live in Solvang a few years ago, too; something about the crowd's energy, plus the wait between riders gives you a chance to savor the whole scene.

One criticism of the Versus coverage: I could have done without the extended "coverage" of the exhausted and dejected Teejay after his ride. Give the guy a break! He's feeling like crap, looking like his dog just died, and here's a video camera in his face. TMI, as far as I'm concerned.

I agree - give the poor guy a break. He was followed to his car and kept filming him for another minute or two while he was sitting in there. It's no wonder some celebrities punch photographers.

Watching this TT was fun because I've ridden it and know the terrain. I couldn't get over Cadel riding the whole way in his big ring, and riding FAST! I guess he's listening to Coach Bruce.

Bruce, again, congratulations on burning up the CT course this year. I am going to have to starve myself down to Schleck size to be anywhere near your wheel next year!

Tomorrow's stage from Steamboat to Breckenridge should be a great one to watch. I'd love to ride it someday, but only if the road is closed.