PDA

View Full Version : Bike Protectors?

FixedNotBroken
08-25-2011, 12:40 AM
I haven't been able to find them but when I drive I have my bikes on the roof of my car and I have driven by people who have a kind of 'bike bra' that covers the fork, handlebars, shifters, and wraps up around the saddle to protect the seat post as well. Where could I get a hold of these and what are they?

1happygirl
08-25-2011, 12:45 AM
performance bike used to have them. where i got mine b4 I got smart & put my 'babies' inside

cat6
08-25-2011, 12:50 AM
I haven't been able to find them but when I drive I have my bikes on the roof of my car and I have driven by people who have a kind of 'bike bra' that covers the fork, handlebars, shifters, and wraps up around the saddle to protect the seat post as well. Where could I get a hold of these and what are they?

you answered your own question. just google "bike bra".

FixedNotBroken
08-25-2011, 01:11 AM
performance bike used to have them. where i got mine b4 I got smart & put my 'babies' inside

Well I have an M3 and my bikes won't be on top of that or inside and the rack is on the Civic Si. I will search and try to find one!

FixedNotBroken
08-25-2011, 01:14 AM
http://www.cbike.com/sciconbikedefenderbra.aspx

Boom!

cat6
08-25-2011, 01:25 AM
nevermind.

TimmyB
08-25-2011, 01:57 AM
Wouldn't that give you terrible gas mileage?

rwsaunders
08-25-2011, 06:05 AM
Wouldn't that give you terrible gas mileage?

I've used one for years and never noticed a difference in mileage...keeps the bugs off, as well as condensation on early morning drives.

sc53
08-25-2011, 06:25 AM
Just be super careful not to clamp your fork around the bra fabric--loop bra over the whole clamped fork leg. Search forum for examples of what happens if slippery bra fabric is attempted to be "clamped" in a fork mount. :no:

KF9YR
08-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Doesn't the fabric flap against the bike during the car journey and buff the paint?

rwsaunders
08-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Doesn't the fabric flap against the bike during the car journey and buff the paint?

Nope. The device attaches to the saddle, stretches over the handlebars, then loops around the horizontal support for the bike rack.

dave thompson
08-25-2011, 02:37 PM
In addition what rwsaunders said, my 'bra' has velcro straps to keep the fork protector section firmly attached to the fork legs.

TimmyB
08-25-2011, 02:57 PM
I've used one for years and never noticed a difference in mileage...keeps the bugs off, as well as condensation on early morning drives.
Really?? The thing looks like a sail to me... Does the fabric allow wind to pass through?

The couple times I drove with bikes on top of the car (before keeping them solely in the wagon after one nearly flew off :crap: ), I definitely noticed worse mileage than without bikes on top. It surprises me that the shield thing doesn't further inhibit the aerodynamics of the car.

Kevan
08-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Had these for a while. It amazed me how filthy these got after a long highway drive.