PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake on East Coast

avalonracing
08-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Well... That was kinda cool! We just had an earthquake five minutes ago. I know you west coast people are used to it but for us, that was a big one. I'm trying to find out where it was but nothing is online yet and phone lines are jammed.

branflakes
08-23-2011, 02:02 PM
i'm wondering if that is what i just felt in NC about the same time back. i looked online but didn't find anything re:seismic activity. lasted about 30-35sec i would say.

Joachim
08-23-2011, 02:03 PM
I just saw that there was a 5.8 in Virginia. I felt some movement here in Charleston, SC.

Nooch
08-23-2011, 02:04 PM
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/at00lqe6x3.php

We felt it here in NJ, NYC, and surrounding!!

EDS
08-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Felt it in midtown manhattan. I now know my 40th floor office is vertically compliant.

fiamme red
08-23-2011, 02:06 PM
I felt it here in my office building in New Jersey.

Joachim
08-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Has just been changed to a 5.9. If the cat3/4 hurricane is not enough.... :beer:

djg21
08-23-2011, 02:10 PM
Felt it at the Capitol.

jvp
08-23-2011, 02:12 PM
everyone go home and check your bikes!

Gummee
08-23-2011, 02:13 PM
Well that was bizarre.

Was taking a shower and the house started rocking back and forth. Same time there was a dull roar.

Hmmm that feels like an earthquake!

I haven't felt that since Sandy Eggo!

M

ultraman6970
08-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Was in the shower, felt like a small movement, 5,2 is ok but it was too short to be worried about. Being from a place that usually have earthquakes and tsunamis each 10 years this thing was like ok :)

The day we get a 7 and for at least 2 or 3 minutes 90% of virginia, MD and DC will go to the ground, houses arent built for this things in here. Yesterday night i believe we got one in colorado, 2012 is coming maybe?

Kevan
We felt it up here in Westchester County NY. I was wondering who was pushing our house around. Seemed to last 10+ seconds.

cat6
My Mom called me from NJ to tell me about it, crazy stuff!

rugbysecondrow
08-23-2011, 02:18 PM
At the bwi airport going back through security after a full evacuation. It shook quite a bit in the terminal.

zap
08-23-2011, 02:22 PM
My mom called to let me know-she lives 1 hour north of Toronto and they felt it.

I'm in D.C. and didn't feel it. Must have happened just before I got home. Tubulars rock baby.

ultraman6970
08-23-2011, 02:23 PM

pherms
08-23-2011, 02:24 PM
DEFINITELY felt it here in DC. My second floor office was rocking back and forth. Epicenter between Charlottesville and Richmond VA.

I'm originally from LA and lived through the Northridge quake in 94 and, to be honest, I'm very surprised we haven't had any aftershocks. Maybe aftershocks are exclusively a west coast thing?

skijoring
08-23-2011, 02:30 PM
felt in VT, for sure. End of Days.

mtb_frk
08-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Felt it here in Michigan. Didn't realize what it was at the time though.

Joachim
08-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Well, if it's the end I may as well order the MeiVici, the bank can come and look for me after the world ends....:)

I should be able to get a ride or two in before it all goes down, right?

Matt-H
08-23-2011, 02:36 PM
My old home was rocking here in eastern PA. I had a tough time figuring out what was happening initially.

JMerring
08-23-2011, 02:36 PM

i was also thinking obama had a hand in this. let's hope we survive 'till the election. :D

I KID I KID I KID I KID I KID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pherms
08-23-2011, 02:37 PM
and if it turns out not to be the end of days you can always load up your Ortliebs, ride down to south america and change your name...

Chance
08-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Let’s hope all nuclear plants OK. Two closest tripped and shut down.

Nooch
08-23-2011, 02:39 PM

bikerboy337
08-23-2011, 02:57 PM
The wife texted me in the middle of my lunch ride that she just felt an earthquake.... didn't believe her at first. Did not feel it on the bike... lived in CA for the 94 quake (senior in high school), but moved away after that, so its been a while for me...

cincicycles
08-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Felt it. :beer:

Hope everyone a little closer to VA are all OK!

tuxbailey
08-23-2011, 03:09 PM
That was quite a shock in DC. I never experienced one before (that I could recall) and that was quite something.

mcteague
08-23-2011, 03:16 PM
I work in a 7 story bldg in Baltimore. My office is in the IT dept in the basement, as usual. Still felt the floor shake and some things fell off the shelf behind my chair. It was strange, the first feeling was that someone was behind me, tugging on my chair. Then the floor started going up and down. Wow.

Tim

Nooch
08-23-2011, 03:19 PM
reports indicate that it was not actually an earthquake caused by the moving of plates -- Jens Voigt and Thor Hushovd just happened to bunny hop some train tracks at the same time.

hankchong
08-23-2011, 03:21 PM
Felt it here in Boston. Anyone know where the epicenter is located? Amazing that it was felt so broadly across the eastern part of the country.

Nooch
08-23-2011, 03:31 PM
somewhere around Richmond, VA. Check my first post on the first page, follow the link.

Kevan
08-23-2011, 03:38 PM
CNN reports NW of Richmond, mostly farmland by appearances. Still...it was a shallow quake and probably did some local damage there.

Chance
08-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Felt it here in Boston. Anyone know where the epicenter is located? Amazing that it was felt so broadly across the eastern part of the country.
A TV news report implied it’s due to stiff rock on east coast compared to California. Official scoop should come before too long.

achurch
08-23-2011, 04:03 PM
and it was pretty significant, house was rocking...

navclbiker
08-23-2011, 04:10 PM
There are a few more cosmetic blemishes in our drywall. I live in Bristow Va and had just completed a ride out of Marshall. I had just loaded my bike into my car after the long ride and sat down behind the wheel when i felt what I thought was one of my riding buddies jumping up and down on my trunk. I looked back and no one was there....Hmmmm. :bike:

William
08-23-2011, 04:14 PM
I was riding bikes with my kids on the island of Jamestown and didn't feel anything. My wife across the bay in North Kingston said the whole building shook for about 15 - 20 seconds.

We were riding trails at the time so that could explain why we didn't feel it.

William

weiwentg
08-23-2011, 04:30 PM
In DC. Felt it. Was worried, but the building didn't feel like it was going to give (and I'm on the 7th floor).

Ray
08-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Definite shaking here southwest of Philly. My computer was shaking and rattling on the desk. The news is saying that any given strength of earthquake will feel about ten times worse that here than on the west coast because the whole area is underlain by hard granite rather than softer ground. So this was no minor quake. Just heard also that this was the same magnitude as the one that leveled Port'oPrince (sp?) Haiti early last year.

I used to live in the northwest and remember some tremors once but VERY minor - people asking each other "did you feel something just now", not "DAMN!", which was the general reaction around here.

Big fun. Glad the damage wasn't too serious and not much in the way of injury, although it sounds like a LOT of damage near the epicenter so I would be surprised if some folks end up hurt or worse down there. My brother lives in Roanoke and he said it was bad enough that he and his wife ran out of the house. Not quite that scary here, but very weird feeling, for sure.

-Ray

tele
08-23-2011, 04:37 PM
here in Western Mass was out riding and didnt feel a thing....then my wife tells me about it when I got home. Pretty cool as long as no one is hurt!

I remember from my rocks for jocks geology class in college there is major fault line running down the border between VT/NY/Mass and supposedly there was a bigger chance of the big one here than Cali. of course things are a bit fuzzy from those days so I might have my details wrong. :beer:

wc1934
08-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Visiting here at State College (Penn State). The restaurant we were in SHOOK pretty good.

wac0202
08-23-2011, 04:40 PM
http://whatreallyhappened.com/IMAGES/kakeanna.jpg

flydhest
08-23-2011, 04:40 PM
My house has some cracks in the plaster now. At work, stuff was falling from the ceiling in the cafeteria. Everyone sent home early.

djg
08-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Definitely felt it in Chevy Chase. The building was rocking something fierce. And what were you doing during the quake daddy? I was getting prepped for a colonoscopy. No lie. Ten minutes later and it could have been ugly.

sc53
08-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Office building in Alexandria VA shook pretty violently, then everyone just dropped what they were doing and RAN for the doors! Why everyone wanted to be outside in the courtyard surrounded by 7-story brick buildings, I don't know. Also, forget any lessons learned from 9/11; there was no orderly evacuation or anything, just blind panicky running! We all hung out in the courtyard for 30 mins or so then fire alarms stopping sounding and we went in to find out the Fed govt shut down, so we all went home. Pictures in my house crooked and fallen on the floor, some stuff from bookshelves fallen on floor and broken, thankfully the newish plasma TV (professionally mounted) on the wall stayed there! My two dogs seemed fine, I wonder what they thought when the floor started shaking. Willy hates elevators so I imagine he did not like the whole house turning into one.

thinpin
08-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Nothing here :D

ultraman6970
08-23-2011, 05:17 PM
This thing was too short, anything over 1 min 30 secs would have been bad for the type of construction in the area, specially because it was not built for stuff like that. With one like the one in chile or in japan the whole area would have been flatted out or house just ready 4 being demolished, specially at DC. Even like the last one in LA, this area would have been flatten big time.

Nobody built aseismically here in the area, even my wife that had been in two earthquakes before was telling me... yes our house frame is made of metal, yes but the foundations are not built for an earthquake so guess what honey...!

Bud_E
08-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Definite shaking here southwest of Philly. My computer was shaking and rattling on the desk. The news is saying that any given strength of earthquake will feel about ten times worse that here than on the west coast because the whole area is underlain by hard granite rather than softer ground. So this was no minor quake. Just heard also that this was the same magnitude as the one that leveled Port'oPrince (sp?) Haiti early last year.

-Ray

In the Northridge quake here I remember seeing a lecture explaining why some buildings in Santa Monica had severe damage right next door to buildings that had no damage. The soil in much of that area is a mixture of bedrock with pockets of soft ground. The waves caused by the earthquake bounce around inside the pockets sometimes cancelling themselves out and sometimes amplifying themselves depending on the phase.

rustychain
08-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Earthquake sex rocks!

sc53
08-23-2011, 08:26 PM
In answer to earlier post: epicenter was Mineral, VA, a little rural town in Louisa county, between Richmond and Charlottesville.

mjbyl
08-23-2011, 08:29 PM
fittingly, I was in a bike shop in Reston, VA when the quake happened. We saw all teh shaking and then saw everyone from the office towers come out onto the street. At first many of the people from teh office towers thought that there had been an explosion.

rugbysecondrow
08-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Definitely felt it in Chevy Chase. The building was rocking something fierce. And what were you doing during the quake daddy? I was getting prepped for a colonoscopy. No lie. Ten minutes later and it could have been ugly.

Arent you glad that earlier appointment wasn't available.

That waS funny!

ctcyclistbob
08-23-2011, 09:13 PM
I was at work and felt the shaking. Checked the news shortly after and read about the quake. It reminded me of a similar experience in Japan a few years ago.

BumbleBeeDave
08-23-2011, 09:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoHuxpa4h48

:D

rounder
08-23-2011, 09:57 PM
I just got home a few minutes ago. Was at a conference in a D.C. hotel. The floor rumbled for awhile and the chandelier shook. We were evacuated outside and the government was closed. Could not make cell phone calls or text because the service was jammed. Later, they called us back in to finish the sessions. We left on time but the Metro was screwed up, the trains were messed up at Union Station. It was a long day. I read that the last major east coast earthquake (5.8) was in the 1940s.

avalonracing
08-23-2011, 10:02 PM
They said that this quake was the strongest in a century. It is pretty lame that with a little shaking for ten seconds we lose cell phone service for an hour because the system is overloaded with phone calls. God forbid that we have something serious happen it would be chaos.

Elefantino
08-23-2011, 10:06 PM
My daughter is at GWU and felt a strong rumble. I got an immediate *** text.

News channels were going batshi'ite crazy. Best was the Fox blonde who said they had unconfirmed reports that the Washington Monument was leaning. She didn't say whether it was to the right or the left. :D

I've been through a ton, as most Calif. natives have. Wife was in Northridge in '71 and with me at the 'Stick for Loma Prieta.

I also was in the 1993 quake in Portland, which was a 5.5er. Was there for a job interview. The quake happened at about 5:30 in the morning. When I met the big boss, a woman, she asked me some innocuous question about how I slept or how was my stay in the hotel or something like that ... for some reason I jokingly said, "the earth moved for me. How about you?"

She. Did. Not. Laugh.

I didn't get the job.

patrick8037
08-23-2011, 10:11 PM
I have been greeting everyone with "What's shakin'" for the past 7 hours.

Louis
08-23-2011, 10:13 PM
It is pretty lame that with a little shaking for ten seconds we lose cell phone service for an hour because the system is overloaded with phone calls. God forbid that we have something serious happen it would be chaos.

Crowd behavior at it's worst. I still remember the lines at the gas stations after 9-11. I went for a ride that afternoon and at first I couldn't figure out why everyone was lining up of gas. Then it hit me.

I'm not an expert, but I think this is related to how individual consumers and companies react to downturns in the economy - self-reinforcing retrenchment leads to a downward spiral that hurts everyone. Everyone acts in a rational manner from their own perspective, but the net result is bad for society as a whole.

rounder
08-23-2011, 10:29 PM
I think that the people in D.C. are pretty conditioned to bad news. I think what was different this time was that a lot of them had already gone through 9/11 (i did). A lot of people there at the hotel where i was thought a bomb had gone off. A lot of those did not want to go outside because it might have been a dirty bomb. Who knows what all the tourists there just wanting to visit their nation's capital must have thought.

rugbysecondrow
08-23-2011, 10:59 PM
Crowd behavior at it's worst. I still remember the lines at the gas stations after 9-11. I went for a ride that afternoon and at first I couldn't figure out why everyone was lining up of gas. Then it hit me.

I'm not an expert, but I think this is related to how individual consumers and companies react to downturns in the economy - self-reinforcing retrenchment leads to a downward spiral that hurts everyone. Everyone acts in a rational manner from their own perspective, but the net result is bad for society as a whole.

Not sure what you are writing about, but I saw none of this. I was at the BWI airport lining up to board a flight when it happend. Order, calm exiting of the building, no craziness. Cell service was broken but not texting for me. It is very rational to see how your wife and kids are doing. It's not like folks were ordering pizzas or hookers.

Louis
08-24-2011, 12:35 AM
Not sure what you are writing about

It's pretty simple: huge spikes in demand for a limited resource in times of stress or panic causes the system to break down.

I didn't say that it was irrational for someone to attempt to determine how their family was doing. In fact, I specifically said that it was rational. But when everyone tries to do it at the same time (buy gas, withdraw money from the bank, place a phone call, etc.) the system breaks down. They keep trying, and the system stays down.

Jack Brunk
08-24-2011, 12:54 AM
5.8 really?
Common peeps that's a ho hum quake around Socal. Hope the D2R2 isn't affected by Irene more so than the ground shaking. Nice to live on top of granite though.

Ray
08-24-2011, 06:43 AM
5.8 really?
Common peeps that's a ho hum quake around Socal. Hope the D2R2 isn't affected by Irene more so than the ground shaking. Nice to live on top of granite though.
Agreed, but in fairness, all of the seismologists indicate that a quake of any magnitude will be felt about 10 times more intensely and over a larger area back east than out west because of the hardness of the earth's crust. I'd been through some minor tremors on the west coast that I wasn't sure what I was even feeling. Yesterday there was NO doubt what I was feeling and I was a LOOOOOONG way from the epicenter. So its not strictly apples and apples...

But, fair enough, next time you SoCal folks freak out over 3 inches of snow, we'll laugh our asses off at you too... :p

-Ray

dnades
08-24-2011, 07:33 AM
Brooklyn, NY felt that quake pretty good. We were up on the sixth floor and I'd have to say the building moved a good 1.5-2 inches. It came in two waves. Sitting at my desk I noticed it started to move and since I was on the phone talking to a co-worker on East 71st he felt the bookcase behind him start to move as he was leaning against it just as I was telling him that something weird was happening. I got up and walked into the work area of my shop and that is when the movement increased quite a bit. We had woodworking clamps and jigs hanging on the wall and they started to bang against the wall 4 to 5 times. Not violent enough to come off the rack but enough to get your attention. People beetled out of the building and there was a street party for about 20 minutes. Beautiful day for it. People in the basement didn't feel anything.

rugbysecondrow
08-24-2011, 07:46 AM
It's pretty simple: huge spikes in demand for a limited resource in times of stress or panic causes the system to break down.

I didn't say that it was irrational for someone to attempt to determine how their family was doing. In fact, I specifically said that it was rational. But when everyone tries to do it at the same time (buy gas, withdraw money from the bank, place a phone call, etc.) the system breaks down. They keep trying, and the system stays down.

Understood, but it seemed you were making an economic point before and not a systemic one. Although it illustrates your point, I don't think your example is correctly analogous to phone service issues. I also don't view it as crowd mentality at it's worst.

forrestw
08-24-2011, 07:51 AM
I was on the 6th floor of Barker engineering library @ MIT I'd guess the amplitude there was an inch and a period of a couple seconds. Folks on ground level mostly missed this which woulda been fine by me, sitting in tons of moving concrete dome wondering if more os coming ... not so much fun :-/

Karin Kirk
08-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Agreed, but in fairness, all of the seismologists indicate that a quake of any magnitude will be felt about 10 times more intensely and over a larger area back east than out west because of the hardness of the earth's crust. I'd been through some minor tremors on the west coast that I wasn't sure what I was even feeling. Yesterday there was NO doubt what I was feeling and I was a LOOOOOONG way from the epicenter. So its not strictly apples and apples...

But, fair enough, next time you SoCal folks freak out over 3 inches of snow, we'll laugh our asses off at you too... :p

-Ray

Right on, Ray. The snow analogy is the right one here. Different parts of the country are differently prepared for different types of events. Makes sense, huh.

Yes, an east coast earthquake is felt across a broader region but it is not necessarily felt more intensely near the epicenter. As you and others have pointed out the old and competent "basement rocks" (I just love that term) in the east transmit waves efficiently. But this does not make the damage any worse. In fact, it's the weaker rocks and unconsolidated sediments that amplify shaking and cause the really bad damage. So east coast earthquakes are not likely to be any worse, but certainly they are much more unexpected which makes them highly interesting.

The bigger concern is that earthquakes are so rare on the east coast that it catches everyone completely off guard. I don't think it makes any sense to build eastern buildings to strict earthquake code, so instead we just live with the once-per-century likelihood of a moderate earthquake and hope that we made the right choice in retrospect.

To Tele, who got the impression from a geology class that NY/VT faced a greater earthquake threat than CA, no way. CA is sitting astride a tectonic plate boundary and those are by far the most active and riskiest places to live. Sure, there are faults everywhere, but the real question is how much are they moving and in what manner do they release.

Intraplate earthquakes are rare but they do happen. All the action at the plate edges has to work itself out over time. Interesting to note that the Colorado earthquake earlier that morning was from a tensional stress. The VA earthquake was compressional stress, which surprised me. The two earthquakes are unrelated.

The New Madrid seismic zone is a very interesting case of recurrent, severe earthquakes far from a plate boundary.

Good stuff. The USGS website has tons of great info and if you felt the earthquake you should fill out their form because there is a lot to be learned from those reports.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/events/se/082311a/us/index.html

sc53
08-24-2011, 12:21 PM
. . . People beetled out of the building and there was a street party for about 20 minutes. Beautiful day for it. People in the basement didn't feel anything.
Yep, same here in Alexandria VA. Everybody from about 5 buildings was out in the courtyard, sittin' around, buying soft drinks from the deli (which smartly stayed open), and passing news around from the one cell phone that had web service. Sprint = no service.

cyclebencycling
08-24-2011, 01:09 PM
It made it to the ATL. I Did not feel it myself but have a few team mates who did.

Ramjm_2000
08-24-2011, 01:29 PM
On the 16th floor of a building in Rosslyn. Lots of rattling and felt the building sway back and forth…pretty crazy. We evacuated the building for about an hour after a rather uninspiring “building inspection” by a totally unqualified handyman type.

sc53
08-24-2011, 02:51 PM
On the 16th floor of a building in Rosslyn. Lots of rattling and felt the building sway back and forth…pretty crazy. We evacuated the building for about an hour after a rather uninspiring “building inspection” by a totally unqualified handyman type.
Ha! That's hilarious! Sounds of same caliber as my own inspection of my house: looked up, chimney still there, concluded house is sound.

Ray
08-24-2011, 08:24 PM
The bigger concern is that earthquakes are so rare on the east coast that it catches everyone completely off guard. I don't think it makes any sense to build eastern buildings to strict earthquake code, so instead we just live with the once-per-century likelihood of a moderate earthquake and hope that we made the right choice in retrospect.
There was some discussion in the local paper about the implications if a quake of yesterday's size hit with the epicenter right around Philly (or ostensibly any older eastern city I guess), that a lot of older row homes would have had their facades just peel right off of the buildings. Essentially how lucky that it didn't happen in one of the major cities.

I thought I'd heard yesterday that this's quakes magnitude was similar to the one in Haiti last year and that one was only so catastrophic because it hit very near the city and a city that was not burdened with government intrusions like building codes over the years. But I looked it up and that one was a 7.0 as opposed to the 5.8 or 5.9 for yesterday's. Which, I take it, is a difference in orders of magnitude...

-Ray

Karin Kirk
08-25-2011, 12:48 AM
There was some discussion in the local paper about the implications if a quake of yesterday's size hit with the epicenter right around Philly (or ostensibly any older eastern city I guess), that a lot of older row homes would have had their facades just peel right off of the buildings. Essentially how lucky that it didn't happen in one of the major cities.

I thought I'd heard yesterday that this's quakes magnitude was similar to the one in Haiti last year and that one was only so catastrophic because it hit very near the city and a city that was not burdened with government intrusions like building codes over the years. But I looked it up and that one was a 7.0 as opposed to the 5.8 or 5.9 for yesterday's. Which, I take it, is a difference in orders of magnitude...

-Ray

Yes to all of that.
A full point increase on the Richter scale equals 10 times the measured amplitude and 30 times the energy released by the quake.

The Haiti quake was particularly devastating because of weak marine sediments underlying the area, terrible construction and high population density. A deadly combination, sadly.

cat6
08-25-2011, 02:55 AM
Great information from Karin! I'm no expert but have read up on plenty regarding quakes since moving to California a few years back. I found the "Cascadia Subduction Zone" particularly frightening/interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascadia_subduction_zone

You can't knock people on the East Coast for getting excited about it, it's not exactly a common occurrence.