PDA

View Full Version : Should bottom of Speedplay cleat be stainless steel?

toaster
08-23-2011, 11:17 AM
That aluminum wears out way too fast.

Mark McM
08-23-2011, 12:21 PM
That's why they make these:

http://www.excelsports.com/image200/Speedplay%20Cleat%20Covers%20Zero%20Style.jpg

Rubber has better traction and is less damaging to floors than either stainless steel or aluminum

toaster
08-23-2011, 02:55 PM
That's why they make these:

http://www.excelsports.com/image200/Speedplay%20Cleat%20Covers%20Zero%20Style.jpg

Rubber has better traction and is less damaging to floors than either stainless steel or aluminum

Of course they don't prevent the wear from the spring underneath, do they?

I suppose I should have made it clear that I'm referring to how they wear overall, not just on the ground walking in them.

Pyramor
08-23-2011, 02:56 PM
I believe that they are purposely designed that way so that the cleat will have to be replaced. I read somewhere that Speedplay was concerned with the spings fatiguing and then failing, and did not want the plate to outlast the spring. The cafe covers work really well and give much better traction.

David Kirk
08-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Here's a guess -

if they used stainless it would squeak and grind and make all kinds of nasty noises as it galls into the pedal surface.

dave

Ti Designs
08-23-2011, 03:21 PM
Here's a guess -

if they used stainless it would squeak and grind and make all kinds of nasty noises as it galls into the pedal surface.

Less than you would think...

Mark McM
08-23-2011, 03:34 PM

Does the aluminum plate wear out with use on Zero pedals? I've only used the X-series pedals, and the aluminum plate only wears down from walking on them, not when they are engaged with the pedal. I've had to replace cleats due to spring wear, and wear on the surface of the upper plate (where the top of the pedal body grinds against the plastic upper plate), but never due to wear on the aluminum plate.

firerescuefin
08-23-2011, 04:33 PM
I have switched the cleats out, but left the base plate (Plastic plate that anchors the cleat to the shoes)...about 3 months later on an out of the saddle/full effort sprint up a hill I pulled the rest of the cleat out of the base plate, breaking it in multiple places. I am no engineer, but you can imagine the stress that is being placed throughout the cleat on a regular basis. It's a wear item...replace as needed.

Elefantino
08-23-2011, 09:10 PM
One of the benefits of having absolutely no power is that my Speedplay cleats last forever. At least 3-4 years of wear on most of them. :banana:

Bob Ross
08-24-2011, 04:33 AM
Less than you would think...

they've got a meme for that

oldpotatoe
08-24-2011, 08:04 AM

I suppose I should have made it clear that I'm referring to how they wear overall, not just on the ground walking in them.

The spring is steel, the 'bowties' on the pedal are also. The plate is aluminum but doesn't really 'wear' except from walking on them.

achurch
08-24-2011, 09:07 AM
I have a thin aluminum sheet that goes between the base plate plastic/rubber and the cleat. It does not prevent wear to the round plastic rubber part of the cleat that sits against the side of the pedal but does prevent wear to the flat plastic base plate that comes into contact with the top of the pedal (where the bowties are).

I will try to post a pic later.

Supposedly they will make the cleats last longer (and only cost like 10 bucks and you can use em again next time). I got them at Landry's in Boston--not sure who makes them or where else they are available and have not had them long enough to attest that they improve longevity but trust the guy's at Landry's which is a super shop!

DRZRM
08-24-2011, 10:58 AM
You mean these right?

Speedplay protective plates (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=BUY_PRODUCT_STANDARD&PRODUCT.ID=3836&MODE=)

My understanding is that with 4 holed carbon soles, the pedal sits directly under your carbon sole (I guess this is true with any 4 holed sole that does not need the 3-hole adapter, so plastic or carbon) and will wear a groove into your shoe over time. These plates don't protect your pedal but your shoes.

achurch
08-24-2011, 11:11 AM
The same way they wear a carbon soled shoe, they wear the plastic/rubber plate that is the 3 hole adapter. Using them prevents this part of the cleat wearing (but obviously not the side contact since that occurs above the plate) cycle and ind increases the longevity of the cleat--or so I was advised.

toaster
08-24-2011, 11:16 AM
The wire spring causes a notch in the soft aluminum. When you remove aluminum bottom plate and look you'll see wear from the wire spring.

Wear from walking on cleats is on the exposed side of aluminum plate, not what the subject is about.