PDA

View Full Version : LBS with the best wrench in Baltimore area

konstantkarma
08-23-2011, 10:51 AM
I have an issue with a sticky headset on my cross bike that I need to solve. I usually do my own wrenching, but headsets are outside of my comfort zone. Over the years I have had some bad experiences with LBS "mechanics" that include dented seat tubes and repaired wheels missing rim strips. :crap:

Wanting to avoid repeats of these Can anyone recommend a shop in the Baltimore area with experienced mechanics who take pride in their work?

Thanks in Advance!

avalonracing
08-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Talk to Joe Traill at Joe's Bike Shop. Tell him your concerns and he'll get you taken care of.

Gummee
08-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Define 'sticky.'

Did this just happen or has it been going on for a bit?

Change something?

I have a 'sticky headset' that is caused by a stem that's not exactly straight at the clamp area. Changed out the stem and presto! no more sticky.

M

konstantkarma
08-23-2011, 02:24 PM
I just noticed it on bike I recently bought used. By sticky I mean that it remains at the 12:00 position when I have it clamped in the stand and let the handlebars go. In other words, it does not move as freely back and forth as it should. Also, I can feel a bit of resistance when turning while riding. I loosened the stem and the preload center bolt, then re-snugged, but the L to R jerkiness is still there.

Define 'sticky.'

Did this just happen or has it been going on for a bit?

Change something?

I have a 'sticky headset' that is caused by a stem that's not exactly straight at the clamp area. Changed out the stem and presto! no more sticky.

M

rice rocket
08-23-2011, 05:38 PM
If it's jerky, you probably have grooves worn in your headset cup. Time for a new one.

charlie68
08-23-2011, 08:02 PM
I've had great results from the Lutherville Bike Shop. Fixed up my Cervelo like new after an unfortunate crash. I have also had routine maintenance and upgrades performed with complete satisfaction with their work.

Dekonick
08-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Mount Airy Cycles...

But for what you describe, pop out the cups and press in a new headset. Easy enough to do...

rounder
08-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Joe at Joe's bike shop is a good guy and a good shop. He built up my ciii. The Lutherville Bike Shop north of baltimore is also good. They both have excellent mechanics.

laupsi
08-23-2011, 08:49 PM
My recommendation is Lutherville as well. Live downtown & think the extra drive is well worth it.

Louis
08-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Over the years I have had some bad experiences with LBS "mechanics" that include dented seat tubes and repaired wheels missing rim strips.

It's unfortunate that a customer feels that he needs to request the best mechanic in a city to avoid these pretty basic issues.

konstantkarma
08-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Thanks. I will try Lutherville or Joe's. The dented seat tube occurred at Lutherville, under the previous owner. The new shop appears to be much better managed.

Lewym
08-24-2011, 12:42 AM
Eric is awesome. He does great work (fit and mechanical) and is a good guy to boot. He is missed in Seattle.