PDA

View Full Version : Triple Bypass

Birddog
07-10-2005, 11:18 PM
Anybody do the Triple Bypass? What didja think? I managed to just miss most of the "excitement" that I heard about, ie the tacks, the crash at Idaho Springs, the deer leaping accross the road with people descending at about 50mph, etc. I probably had my best ride of the 5 I've done, but with no computer I'm not positive. The food was certainly the best I've had of the 5, they did a great job this year.

Birddog

NicaDog
07-10-2005, 11:47 PM
I did it for the second time. This time on my new Legend Ti ST.
Didn't get started until 7:30 so we had to hussle, but that means that all
the tacks were taken up the the earlier birds.

Where did the deer jump across the path?

What was your favorite and least favorite part? Mine favorite was down the backside of Loveland, finally broke 55 mph on that road. Least was the the death march up along I-70 from Georgetown to Loveland, at least there was good food at the rest stop in Loveland! Loved those new little Cliff bars.

David :banana:

Birddog
07-11-2005, 12:01 AM
The deer decided to cross on the descent into Idaho Springs. A friend of mine was about 30 feet behind the guy that just missed. He said the deer came out of nowhere and went accross the road in two leaps. The guy that just missed said his "life passed before him". They both thought that that the guy actually slightly grazed the deer in the near miss. It happened so fast, he didn't even have time to react.
Least favorite: I got drenched in a 10 minute cold downpour on the climb to Copper, otherwise it's always the slog from Georgetown to Loveland Ski Area.
Favorite: Hauling donkey from Vail Pass to Avon. I love that stretch, esp powering through the roundabouts in the home stretch.

Birddog

jeffg
07-11-2005, 05:02 AM
Please elaborate ... sounds a bit scary :crap:

97CSI
07-11-2005, 08:05 AM
Just got back from riding the mountains in CO. The TB-P is like any mountain riding in CO. Is a real PITA to be prepared for everything. We had about 50 elk on the road last year on a downhill into Estes Park. Those suckers are big. And icy rain over the pass and down the back into Granby. Either overdressed or not enough. You never know about the weather in the mountains. We got rained out on three days trying to go up Mt. Evans this year until finally made it on the 4th day. This year I bought the Ti seatpost 'TailGator' from Moots (http://www.moots.com/ticomp-tailgator.php) and had a place to put my extra clothes when hot, sun-screen (even when cold, if clear that sun is very intense at 6K+ feet), etc. And, the added bonus that it acts as a rear fender when its raining/wet. Highly recommended. :D

Birddog
07-11-2005, 09:04 AM
Someone with a strong resemblance to an anal orifice decided to strew tacks on the road up Squaw Pass causing several flats. At the time it didn't seem too out of the ordinary, but in retrospect I guess I did see more than the normal amount of punctures. Team Everegreen found the spot and swept the road according to what I heard, all before I got there apparently,since I had no such trouble.

Birddog

Dave
07-11-2005, 09:59 AM
Spreading carpet tacks on the mountain roads frequented by cyclists is a common problem. The only two flats I got last year were from carpet tacks on Deer Creek Canyon Road.

Mountain Man
07-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Thank God the weather cooperated, eh? Driving home on Friday, I heard the predection that it would be 100 in Denver and over 80 in the mountains--dehydration city. But the clouds came over, and it was just fine.

I think there were well over 3500 people on the ride (at least I saw a guy with a number over that on his bike). Near as I can tell, most of them past me before the end of the day! But heck, I made it, and at 57 I figure I was giving at least 20 years to 90% of the field.

Worst part: The slog up to Loveland on I-70--hot, steep, noisy, and boring.

Best part: Grabing the wheel of a couple of hot shot racers in the Vail valley and letting them pull me (and about 6 other people) into Avon at 25+ mph against a strong headwind. Smokin'.