PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone get bored with their bike?

Germany_chris
08-22-2011, 11:52 AM
My Legend is done (Ti bike goal achieved)..There is very little I would change about it 130 Ti Stem under $100 but really it's perfect. Now what do I do, the chase and dreaming are over..Half the fun of this sport (for me) is dreaming up the bikes...

fiamme red
08-22-2011, 11:54 AM
My Legend is done (Ti bike goal achieved)..There is very little I would change about it 130 Ti Stem under $100 but really it's perfect. Now what do I do, the chase and dreaming are over...Ride it?

oliver1850
08-22-2011, 11:57 AM
I am too cheap to ever build anything exactly as I want it, so the search for the perfect parts is endless. Just having unrealistic expectations of what constitutes a good deal can prolong a project indefinitely.

rugbysecondrow
08-22-2011, 12:03 PM
My Legend is done (Ti bike goal achieved)..There is very little I would change about it 130 Ti Stem under $100 but really it's perfect. Now what do I do, the chase and dreaming are over..Half the fun of this sport (for me) is dreaming up the bikes...

Time to plan a custom :)

Riding is a good option too.

Germany_chris
08-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Time to plan a custom :)

Riding is a good option too.

LOL..The bike is being ridden but you know it's the "this would be perfect if" thats done..

Wheels: yup
HS: yup
Drivetrain: yup
Gearing: yup
HB: yup
Saddle: yup
Pedals: yup
Shoes: yup
Frame: yup

Maybe I'm just have ADD :D

The custom wife's eyes green rando is coming..so yup

victoryfactory
08-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Handle Bra
Custom Paint
New Jersey
New Helmet
New Gloves
New shorts
New shoes
New Pedals
Water Bottle holders
One of those little license plates with your name on it to dangle off the
back of the seat.

Fishbike
08-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Sometimes I feel the same way. My custom bike is so perfect in fit, functionality, sound (none), looks and even value, that it is almost boring. It has no quirks. Now don't get me wrong: boring is good on extra-long rides.

And yes, I have to agree that dreaming up and building bikes is part of the fun of this obsession of ours. But if you are gonna dream 'em, buy 'em and build 'em, you gotta ride 'em. Lots.

1happygirl
08-22-2011, 12:17 PM
snip....Half the fun of this sport (for me) is dreaming up the bikes...

Agree but I can never run out of bikes I want. Also I have made a list that would take me 100 years of rides/routes around the country I would like to do ...this is fun for me.

biker72
08-22-2011, 12:22 PM
As bicycletricycle once wrote"you can never have too many bikes"
I'm 73 and still buying bikes. :)
You can have more than one..

false_Aest
08-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Time to chase the chase.

Go buy a $50 Schwinn Varsity and find a fast group ride.

Or do what bored rich white kids do . . . drugs.

fiamme red
08-22-2011, 12:33 PM
LOL..The bike is being ridden but you know it's the "this would be perfect if" thats done..

Frame: yupTime to start accessorizing, e.g., Spokey Dokes that glow in the dark.

Kevan
08-22-2011, 12:42 PM
I like that time just before you decide on what to buy. No, I don't mean a head of lettuce or new all-weather tires, but something you know is going to be fun...like a camera or a bike. It's almost as if you own them all before you settle down with your single selection. The thing is now...I'll probably always buy used. It's still fun, just not quite as much so.

Germany_chris
08-22-2011, 12:50 PM
As bicycletricycle once wrote"you can never have too many bikes"
I'm 73 and still buying bikes. :)
You can have more than one..

You have obviously never meet my charming and very German wife..I believe that she would disagree..

Bikes and Apple computers = Me

Cars and vacations on the beach = My wife

There is a middle ground, no new money spent on bikes for few more years at least.. :beer:

jr59
08-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Ride it comes to mind.

It's a bike, not a piece of art!

Or you could start planing your next custom.
Careful this sport can get a little pricey! :p

Germany_chris
08-22-2011, 12:51 PM
I like that time just before you decide on what to buy. No, I don't mean a head of lettuce or new all-weather tires, but something you know is going to be fun...like a camera or a bike. It's almost as if you own them all before you settle down with your single selection. The thing is now...I'll probably always buy used. It's still fun, just not quite as much so.

The thrill of the chase and capture :D

I don't buy new often either..

rugbysecondrow
08-22-2011, 12:52 PM
You have obviously never meet my charming and very German wife..I believe that she would disagree..

Bikes and Apple computers = Me

Cars and vacations on the beach = My wife

There is a middle ground, no new money spent on bikes for few more years at least.. :beer:

Sure, bike vacation... You need a bike with couplers!

Marital issues reconciled. :beer:

eddief
08-22-2011, 12:52 PM
i live in a hood with stores within 1 or 2 miles, and haircut, and workout, and rei and many other things like trader joe's.

i bought a $125 used cannondale mt bike, spent a couple hundred to get it the way i wanted it...including near perfect fit. and now instead of driving the short ones, i ride em. lock, trunk pack, grocery panniers.

one bike? give me a break.

Gummee
08-22-2011, 01:06 PM
I'm all for the chase. I hunt for it. I piece it together. I make it work right.

Then I ride it a few years, get tired of it, and sell it.

Move on to the next one.

There's ALWAYS something else out there. Right now its a race cross bike. I think I orderd a Van Dessel. We'll have to see what happens...

M

sloji
I love my bike but occasionally want to pretend i'm a pro and ride some fancy carbon bike but my income won't justify it, instead of changing bikes I get pissed off and ride until that thought goes away...
no more poverty,
no more lust,
just a heap on the floor covered in dust.

stephenmarklay
Time to chase the chase.

Go buy a $50 Schwinn Varsity and find a fast group ride.

Or do what bored rich white kids do . . . drugs.

Honestly do the drugs.

No I bought a that Schwinn last month and have been riding it about 100 miles a week commuting. Its not about the bike (who said that?). Yesterday I stopped at the local public pool to meet up with the family. After I raced them home about 5 miles. Wet shorts, no shirt and tennis shoes. I got passed but then over took them as I blew through a stop sign but alas they caught me again. I felt like I was 15.

I am in the process of buying a nice old school steel frame that I am going to enjoy building up. But I am going to build it to ride like a kid. That should be the goal IMHO

Germany_chris
08-22-2011, 01:07 PM
i live in a hood with stores with 1 or 2 miles, and haircut, and workout, and rei and many other things like trader joe's.

i bought a $125 used cannondale mt bike, spent a couple hundred to get it the way i wanted it...including near perfect fit. and now instead of driving the short ones, i ride em. lock, trunk pack, grocery panniers.

one bike? give me a break.

I have or will have 2, the Serotta and the custom rando/audax from PWS.

After 6 years I have finally convinced my wife that I'm safe on my bike :D

Something about calling her from the states talking about my ER visit from riding stairs with no helmet in 2008. The broken collar bone from winter DH on a FS stumpy in 03. This leads here to believe that I will do dumb things with a bike..

Or the variety of leg scars from Bear Mountain..and head scars from the coral from my growing up in FL.

She just wouldn't let me loose with our little one and a bike..Strange huh :p

It's OK now I've "grown up"

Chris

The fun still lies in dreaming!!!!

ergott
08-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Sorry, but as much as I like the bikes, it's the rides that are real important. Try shifting your focus to what you do on the bike instead.

laupsi
08-22-2011, 01:27 PM
have to agree w/Ergott, there's much to be thanful for if you're contemplating about being "bored w/your bike". perhaps a little bit of life's lessons is all you need to appreciate the ride instead!

Germany_chris
08-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Sorry, but as much as I like the bikes, it's the rides that are real important. Try shifting your focus to what you do on the bike instead.

Maybe you're right...I tend to do the same rides with the same people...

The issue I guess is that I have experienced and ridden the places that I can feasibly go..further out requires weekends which are my version of holy...My daughter is too young and my wife while she rides and rides uummm really fast values the weekends as family time..so my work weeks are what I've got...

Appalachian trail: Yup
Black Forest: Yup
Slick rock: Yup
BC: Yup

Along with various rides in Oregon, Washington, NY, Hawaii, MI, Mallorca, Turkey, and of all great places to ride Minnesota.

Riding isn't the issue so much as once the bike is perfect then what..whats the new dream?

I have this same issue with everything though, it's why I'm afraid to build a house. I won't be happy until it's perfect and I have or will have housed that need some love :D

Chris

Germany_chris
08-22-2011, 01:36 PM
have to agree w/Ergott, there's much to be thanful for if you're contemplating about being "bored w/your bike". perhaps a little bit of life's lessons is all you need to appreciate the ride instead!

Been broke and been shot at...but I've not been rich :D

Maybe my standards are not so high...

laupsi
08-22-2011, 01:46 PM
guess we're defining rich in monetary terms?

ergott
08-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Ride harder. A good bike will disappear under you and you will feel some good pain.

If that doesn't work, ride even harder.

Germany_chris
08-22-2011, 01:57 PM
guess we're defining rich in monetary terms?

You're right and I apologize...

I have a cool wife that I love dearly...

I have a daughter that is the best of all time...

We both share a passion for riding, her fast, me fresh air and the "ride"

We both have secure jobs her "Frei Stadt Bayern" me "DoD"

So yes we're rich...what more could a guy want than a the best woman on earth, who has a great job and was born for his.....

Thanks for the reality check...

Chris

laupsi
08-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Cheers! :beer:

rounder
08-22-2011, 08:36 PM
I am too cheap to ever build anything exactly as I want it, so the search for the perfect parts is endless. Just having unrealistic expectations of what constitutes a good deal can prolong a project indefinitely.

Me too. I am cheap also. I don't pursue lightness, just want my bikes to run well and look good. I don't have a lot of bikes so look forward to replacing parts when i see something i like that is a good deal or when the parts wear out.

Louis
08-22-2011, 09:02 PM
I agree with the above.

The bike and the components are secondary. Just the tools to do the job.

Yes, it's fun to have and ride neat bikes, but I get just as much enjoyment riding my $125 Nashbar frame as I do the fancy bikes.

rounder
08-22-2011, 09:03 PM

I agree with that. To me you graduate at some point where you do not just want to buy a complete bike off the shelf from a shop as is. The thing that did it for me was buying a frame off ebay. Never bought anything from ebay before. Then, went to a bike swap where there were some 10-speed campy parts that no one wanted. Bought a few more parts off ebay. You look at it online, it looks good, you decide whether you want it and how much you are willing to pay, then wait for the bidding to end, then close your eyes and click. Found a shop that was willing to put it all together and came up with the missing parts. It turned out to be a winter project and was sort of like Christmas when the stuff started arriving. It was a fun project that turned out well.

Louis
08-22-2011, 09:04 PM
To piggy-back on another thread now going - so far I see no "bucket item" with "getting fancy bike XYZ."

I do see "ride in such-and-such" place.

fogrider
08-23-2011, 01:21 AM
Ride harder. A good bike will disappear under you and you will feel some good pain.

If that doesn't work, ride even harder.
+1, I have a weekend ride with lightweight stuff, carbon tubular rims, zero g brakes, etc. but my speed really got better when I trained during the week with a my legend ti.

Dan Le foot
08-23-2011, 08:13 AM
I'm the same Chris. :beer: You are a true cyclist. Not someone that simply enjoys riding bikes.
We buy and sell high end framesets all the time. Love the buy/sell/build process a lot. But after the 1st ride I start to browse the classifieds for the next bike. I've tried most of the bikes on my hit lists. So what to do? Start over. I want to buy another Legend. (58ish) In fact i would love to buy back my 2001 Legend that i sold here a few years ago. I think I'm going to turn the heard into all Ti. Tired of plastic bikes....for now.
If I were you i would start shopping for a 2nd frameset than spend time aquiring bits to build it up.
Have fun with the new Legend.
Dan

deechee
08-23-2011, 08:26 AM
But happy. Very happy.

I've had my CIII that Paul Levine built for me for 7 years ago and its still perfect. The only thing I changed on it are the wheels, Easton Circuits which I totalled in an accident, to 32 spoke d/a+dt swiss rims. I don't want to change anything else.

I *do* dream of a custom cross bike...

steampunk
08-23-2011, 09:34 AM
i think a specific bike exists for a specific reason at a specific time in your life. whether you were limited to what you could spend at the time, a good deal you got, or a particular aesthetic you were into at the time, etc.

sure when you go to NAHBS, watch races on the tube, browse through cycling news sites/blogs/fourms....you get to thinking that the one hanging in the garage is a bit blah. for me a ride blows those cobwebs away, specially a ride that HURTS and it is painfully obvious it is the legs not the hardware.

that being said, hunting and planning for the next bike is 100% fun and something most of us do, even if you don't go and actually do it.

Germany_chris
08-23-2011, 01:05 PM
I guess bored was probably not the best term to use...

I'm a tinkerer when a project is complete I'm high for a bit and do the "look what I built thing" then I sit back and think now what??

If my bike/computer/car are always in a state of "project" then there is always something to be dreamed about..

tuscanyswe
08-23-2011, 02:05 PM
The build / dream process it too nice just to let go because one allrdy got a great bike or two..

I just found some campy brakes and a front derailleur i dident know i had. Thats almost a group! all i need now is a frame and voila :)! This kind of thinking makes my wallet really thin btw!

Ti Designs
08-23-2011, 02:35 PM
no.

jr59
08-23-2011, 02:48 PM
The build / dream process it too nice just to let go because one allrdy got a great bike or two..

I just found some campy brakes and a front derailleur i dident know i had. Thats almost a group! all i need now is a frame and voila :)! This kind of thinking makes my wallet really thin btw!

This is the reason I do not look in my parts box to often!

lonoeightysix
08-24-2011, 08:18 AM
I'd have to wager that bike "boredom" is a substantial driver of the activity on the Classifieds board.

weiwentg
08-24-2011, 08:21 AM
While I don't see myself getting bored of my current ride, I do confess to lusting after component upgrades. At the same time, the current groupset works just fine and I expect it to last much longer.

Nooch
08-24-2011, 08:28 AM
I enjoy my rides (two 2010 caad9's, one built a little heavier and cheaper for training/commuting, one in "race" trim) but I lust for newer, shinier, costlier.

I work at a bike shop -- it's hard not to lust over everything. Especially when they sell Serotta's and Bedfords.

Thing is that I want too many bikes, so I'll probably never move forward with getting ANY of them (when funds finally permit). I want a tig'd bedford. I want a speedvagen. I want a moots. But I know that I'll never have the resources to have them all at once, and I'd never want to get ride of one to finance the other (after all, I get attached to things). So I stay the course with my caad9's and dream of that 'maybe someday' bike. The bike that my wife decides she wants to get me for an anniversary or something.. I'll hold off for that one :)

rice rocket
08-24-2011, 08:56 AM
What you need is a project that's not finish-able. Take up classic car restoration. :D

Germany_chris
08-24-2011, 09:29 AM
What you need is a project that's not finish-able. Take up classic car restoration. :D

My first car was a frame off 64 MGB that I worked on for years with my dad...maybe thats why :D

old_fat_and_slow
08-24-2011, 02:01 PM
I have or will have 2, the Serotta and the custom rando/audax from PWS.

...snippage...

Chris

Are you tellin' me you sold this ? ? ? ?

http://lh3.ggpht.com/-_S0ojQlls_8/TI-xl58oQpI/AAAAAAAAABo/ofM4Y2KXcUs/s800/DSC

How could anyone get bored with that? Dude you are in the doghouse fer a while ! !

Hanlonj
08-24-2011, 03:53 PM
When faced with questions like "why am I bored with the bike I just built/bought" after the thrill of the chase is done, I just reduce mankind to its simplest form.

Men = Animals. Animals are not naturally mononagamous. Therefore, man seeks ways to compensate for lack of variety, thus the quest for something different almost immediately.

dd74
08-24-2011, 09:50 PM
I'm bored with this thread. Time for another. ;)

hockeybike
08-24-2011, 11:05 PM
I never really get bored with the main rider, but the commuter/beater never lasts more than a few months. Since none of these 80s/90s frames that pop up on craigslist ever really fit me that well, I just keep flipping them once I get bored/something else on craigslist looks interesting. The Fierte IT 54, on the other hand, won't be leaving for a long while.

rdparadise
08-25-2011, 08:39 AM

Frame: yup

Maybe I'm just have ADD :D

The custom wife's eyes green rando is coming..so yup

Hey Chris, how bout some Handlebra to match? Only about $100 and it will add a nice feel to your bars.

Bob

Germany_chris
08-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Are you tellin' me you sold this ? ? ? ?

http://lh3.ggpht.com/-_S0ojQlls_8/TI-xl58oQpI/AAAAAAAAABo/ofM4Y2KXcUs/s800/DSC

How could anyone get bored with that? Dude you are in the doghouse fer a while ! !

Yes that F/F/HS turned into the Serotta...That was SEXY huh!!!

AGONIZING to build, which decals? which fork? what powder? lug outline color? HB tape? saddle? HT/UD?

When that bike was done I think I must have stared at it for 2 hrs...but the problem is I just couldn't bring myself to ride it in the rain and such!

The Serotta doesn't have that visceral appeal, it's more "logical"?

If the Serotta does end up going it will be for another Master....

*edit* and that was 18# with the Khamsins and Centaur...Back to ebay to see what the bring now.. :crap: