PDA

View Full Version : Dolomites Ride Report (long)

jeffg
07-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Last Sunday, I had the wonderful opportunity to take part in the Maratona dles Dolomites, an organized ride with over 8,500 participants and closed roads. This ride, however, is more than a normal gran fondo. It is a celebration of cycling, with 6 hours of live television coverage, a yearly theme, and just as much pomp and circumstance as the folks in Alta Badia can muster.

We arrived the day before the ride after a long drive from Frankfurt and checked into our hotel. I picked up my registration packet, made sure the bike was in order, and went to dinner. After a short sleep, I woke at 4:00 to have breakfast and make sure I was in the starting blocks by a little after 5:00. Since I did not have a qualifying time from the past two years (or was not a pro or ex-pro), I had a starting number of 9433, so I wanted to have not many more than 5000 riders in front of me. Even though it was about 40 degrees, it seemed like it would be a nice day so I took off my leg warmers and huddled in with the masses.

It was awesome seeing the sun rise over the Dolomites and seeing all the cyclists get into position, with helicopters flying over, commentators talking, music blaring, etc.

Then, we were off! It was pretty hairy at the outset as everyone tries to push to the front. Then, when we hit the Campolongo pass, an easy 6km ascent, the bunch slowed as many people in front could not maintain the pace and everyone tried to pass left. We would often almost come to a standstill in the hairpins as many riders slowed. At this point I was wishing I had stuck to rides like La Ventoux with fewer riders and mostly serious riders since here there was a 57km option and at La Ventoux everyone had to do Ventoux the hard way and do at least 100km.

Anyway, that led to me pushing to get some room at the top in order to have some breathing room on the descent and then pushing very hard on the Pordoi to get to a point where I could ride a more even pace. That worked for the Sella Ring, but I had a sense I had gone out too hard. Who cares, though, when women dressed in Angel costumes are handing out flowers at the top of Dolomite passes in perfect weather?!

After the first circuit was done, the 110km and 147km riders headed out over the Campolongo again to do battle with some longer climbs. I had managed the first 57km and 1800m of climbing in under 2:30, so I was doing well but was alarmed to see how high my HR had been. Indeed, I was having the sense that the altitude was getting to me, a fact borne out that a few days later I rode the Sella Ring at the same pace and 15bpm lower!

I rode over a series of lesser climbs to the base of the Giau, which is the hardest climb at 10km @9.2%. At that point I was starting to run out of energy since the altitude effect was getting worse. It took an hour to climb the Giau and I made sure to fuel up at the top. On the way down to the base of the Falzarego I had some bad cramps but had a blast on more wonderful descents. I then settled in for the long but relatively easy ascent of the Falzarego/Valparola and then busted out for the finish. I was just floored at the wonderful feeling of descending closed roads with great banked switchbacks and finally tipped over 50mph on some of the straights. Although I had one more cramp, I gritted my teeth for the last gradual ascent towards the finish and hit the line in 6:28. I had been hoping to break 6:15 in order to qualify for the second group (the first for non-pros, but I heard I might make it in yet since only 1000 qualified this year for that 2500 strong group).

Stats:

147km, 4345m of climbing in 6:28, or just under 23km/h
HR: 164 average/188 max, 1.5 hours between 166-176, 2.5 hours above 176.

Placing: 905 out of 3885 male participants that did the long course (12 women also whupped me ;) ).

http://services.datasport.com/2005/velo/maradolo/RANG085.HTM

Cost: 50 Euros including jersey, t-shirt, all sorts of local products, pasta party afterwards, flowers handed by Angels and choirs of children singing on top of the Sella/Gardena passes!

Summary: Priceless, particularly since my wife and mother-in-law fell in love with the Dolomites and want to return as often as possible. Also, my wife wants to ride next year!!

jeffg
07-10-2005, 03:36 PM
First pass of the day ...

jeffg
07-10-2005, 03:37 PM
ahhh!

jeffg
07-10-2005, 03:38 PM
short and steep (but not bad at all)

jeffg
07-10-2005, 03:40 PM
last short climb of the Sella Ring (first circuit)

jeffg
07-10-2005, 03:41 PM
angelic!

jeffg
07-10-2005, 03:49 PM
that first block is the first 400, followed by 401-2500, 2500-5000, and then 5000-10,000 (including me, who is way around that corner :banana: )

jeffg
07-10-2005, 03:53 PM
boy, I am a bit knackered!

Chief
07-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the wonderful report of a great experience--I am envious. What a great ride.

jeffg
07-10-2005, 03:56 PM
everyone at the finish before heading back for dinner at the hotel and a nice jacuzzi!

Kevin
07-10-2005, 04:00 PM
Great pictures. I am glad you had a good time.

Kevin

Louis
07-10-2005, 04:02 PM
HR: 164 average/188 max, 1.5 hours between 166-176, 2.5 hours above 176.

Whew ! 2.5 hrs of HR > 176 and I would not have lived to tell the tale. My "out of range" beep goes off at 179 or higher and I know from bitter experience that more than five or ten minutes up there means I'm useless for the rest of the ride... (I assume you're a bit younger than my 43 yrs!)

Louis

PS Awesome pics. That must have been one heck of a thrill.

jeffg
07-10-2005, 04:21 PM
Whew ! 2.5 hrs of HR > 176 and I would not have lived to tell the tale. My "out of range" beep goes off at 179 or higher and I know from bitter experience that more than five or ten minutes up there means I'm useless for the rest of the ride... (I assume you're a bit younger than my 43 yrs!)

Louis

PS Awesome pics. That must have been one heck of a thrill.

Yes, it was a thrill. One motivation for posting is to encourage the good folks on this forum to give it a go. It is much easier as an American to get a spot than as an Italian, and I would be happy to give any assistance I can. One easy way is to sign up for the Carpenter/Phinney camp that does the ride, but it is also easy to do yourself.

HR stuff. Well, I am a few weeks shy of 32, my max on the road is around 200 (199-201 depending over the last few years). So, riding that high is generally a sign of altitude issues or being out of shape. I mean, I rode at 10bpm less up Ventoux a month ago, for crying out loud and had been progressing since then (or so I thought). Two days later after some light recovery I rode the Sella Ring doing the climbs at about 164 average instead of 178-181 for the same pace and felt good. I would be interested to know if a few days at altitude can make such a difference or if the data is just plain strange ...

RichMc
07-11-2005, 02:47 AM
Dang! I want to go there too. Do they have a section for old farts whose max HRM's are around 170 to 172? I might do a couple hours in the 140 range but nothing like you've done! Great pictures!! Tell you what -- you can work up at the front. I'll help bring up the rear. Just save some cold ones. :beer:

William
07-11-2005, 05:09 AM
Beautiful pictures! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Thank you for sharing.

William :)

Tom
07-11-2005, 05:30 AM
Wow. I think I just hit a new PR for jealousy. That looks just incredible. Thank you for writing about it... another thing just got added to the list of stuff I have to do before I croak!

cs124
07-11-2005, 07:19 AM
Wow, that looks like fun. :beer:

weisan
07-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Hi Jeff-pal,

Great ride!
It would be beneficial if you could tell us some of the bikes/equipments you saw on the ride and the "type of cyclists" involved. I think some of us would be amazed but more importantly, can take encouragement from some of your observations.

thanks,
weisan

Ozz
07-11-2005, 02:03 PM
jeff,

great pics - sounds like a great ride and vacation!

your body can acclimate pretty quickly if you spend some time at altitude. A day or two makes a difference. most folks get in trouble when they from sea-level to altitude very quickly. The bummer is that you lose it just as quickly when you leave altitude...

Brian Smith
07-11-2005, 04:07 PM
Those type of riding events are so good, it's amazing to a North American audience that you can even put on such an event and have them be so popularly attended. I'd like to do some more of those, for sure. Sounds like you really enjoyed it. Thanks for the writeup.

jeffg
07-12-2005, 02:47 AM
Hi Jeff-pal,

Great ride!
It would be beneficial if you could tell us some of the bikes/equipments you saw on the ride and the "type of cyclists" involved. I think some of us would be amazed but more importantly, can take encouragement from some of your observations.

thanks,
weisan

Well, most of the bikes at the Maratona were Italian, whereas there was a great number of Look and Lapierre carbon rigs at Ventoux. At the Maratona, however, there was a greater range of equipment, from Dogmas with ADAs to MTBs with slicks! I saw several Serottas, including a woman on the Giau riding an Atlanta with an F1! I believe Connie Carpenter was on an Ottrott, but she rode the 57km course (as did Davis) and had a much better start number than I. ;)

The riders ranged from the typical gran fondo pros (Rumsas wasn't there since he was in custody at the time), to ex-pros Gianni Bugno, Carpenter/Phinney, amateur racers (cicloamatore), hacks like me, and some hacks even slower than I. Overall it was a slightly less even field than Ventoux or the other rides offered by Sportcommunication, but there are many riders of every ability here and the ride is perhaps the more special for that.

As for encouragement, it should be clear that anyone on this forum can do this ride. You should be comfortable descending mountain roads, and I honestly find the constant switchbacks to suit me better than something like Ventoux. As for the climbs, bring a low gear if you do the long course, one more than you would need for a climb like the Giau. As a comparison, I used a 39X27 in 2002 and finished in a little over 7:30. This year I had a 34X29 and finished in just under 6:30. I would use a 34X26 or 39X29 on the Giau normally, and would not have used the 34x29 here (I barely used it on Ventoux) except for the fact that altitude and a little overanxious riding left me a bit spent. To paraphrase Jan Ullrich's description of a ride in the Black Forest: "Many rides have longer climbs or steeper cimbs, but the constant rhythm change and the lack of flat sections make this ride very challenging and bring many athletes to their limit."

Thus, I would encourage anyone here to enter, and am happy to pass along hotel tips, etc. to anyone considering riding. Oh, and I especially expect Sandy to ride next year or he is never allowed to make another comment about climbing again! :banana: