PDA

View Full Version : campy cranks on a shimano drivetrain

dr50470
08-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Have people had problems running 10 speed campy cranks on an otherwise shimano drivetrain?

tanghy
08-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Have people had problems running 10 speed campy cranks on an otherwise shimano drivetrain?

this might be in the wrong section

but the answer is no problems

Black Dog
08-22-2011, 08:24 AM
I run a 10spd Campy crank on a 9 speed shimano drive train on my commuter bike and it works perfectly. You will have no problems with 9 or 10 speed shimano drive trains.

:fight:

forrestw
08-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Campy 10 chain and cogs are wider than shimano, when I briefly used a SRAM chain (recommend by LBS) on campy I had bad problems w/ chainsuck. This wouldn't be an issue w/ wider shimano 9

oldpotatoe
08-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Campy 10 chain and cogs are wider than shimano, when I briefly used a SRAM chain (recommend by LBS) on campy I had bad problems w/ chainsuck. This wouldn't be an issue w/ wider shimano 9

Campagnolo 10s chain is the same dimension and thickness as all 10s chains..5.9mm-for info.

I'd say the small ring maybe being worn/sharktoothed may have been your problem altho not a fan of sram 10s chains.

forrestw
08-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Campagnolo 10s chain is the same dimension and thickness as all 10s chains..5.9mm-for info.

I'd say the small ring maybe being worn/sharktoothed may have been your problem altho not a fan of sram 10s chains.
No. Yes the outside dimension is the same, the inside is different. Campy uses thinner side and inner plates to accomodate their wider teeth as compared to Shimano/SRAM. This is one of the reasons Campy chains hold up longer than Shimano/SRAM.

The chainrings on which I experienced the chain suck were brand new on a Chorus UT crank. I don't have a reference handy or time to Google it but I measured it when I had the problem (still had a shimano bike on hand at the time).

oldpotatoe
08-22-2011, 10:57 AM
No. Yes the outside dimension is the same, the inside is different. Campy uses thinner side and inner plates to accomodate their wider teeth as compared to Shimano/SRAM. This is one of the reasons Campy chains hold up longer than Shimano/SRAM.

The chainrings on which I experienced the chain suck were brand new on a Chorus UT crank. I don't have a reference handy or time to Google it but I measured it when I had the problem (still had a shimano bike on hand at the time).

So the side plates are thinner, altho I measure only about .08 of a mm difference. I was confused when you said Campagnolo chains are thicker.

BTW-I have installed more than a few KMC and shimano chains onto 10s Campagnolo systems and have seen no issues..sram is not my first choice for anything..

binxnyrwarrsoul
08-22-2011, 11:50 AM
"sram is not my first choice for anything"

+1

torquer
08-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Sorry for the thread drift, but anyone know whose (brand) chain broke in the Vuelta TTT on Saturday?
I'm avoiding looking it up on the news sites because I don't want to see today's stage results before I watch it tonight.

Dave
08-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Campy chinarings do not have wider teeth than the other brands. Tooth thickness is not the cause of chain suck. Many people have used 10 speeed cranks (Campy or other brands) with 11 speed chains and had no issues (me included).

oldpotatoe
08-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Campy chinarings do not have wider teeth than the other brands. Tooth thickness is not the cause of chain suck. Many people have used 10 speeed cranks (Campy or other brands) with 11 speed chains and had no issues (me included).

Good post, grazie

jghall
08-22-2011, 08:37 PM
No, other than maybe the fashion police.

sarion
08-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Campagnolo's sister brand, Fulcrum makes UT cranksets for shimano systems.
So I think there is no reason for any problems.

oldpotatoe
08-23-2011, 07:50 AM
Campagnolo's sister brand, Fulcrum makes UT cranksets for shimano systems.
So I think there is no reason for any problems.

Campagnolo does too(hidden meaning).