PDA

View Full Version : Top tube damage

Ti_on_Steel
08-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Last week I had what I am generously calling a bike crash. I had my Serotta mounted on a wall rack, with another road bike hanging above it. As I'm eating breakfast, I hear Thump...Thump...Thump, which was the top bike ripping out of the wall, crashing into my bike, and then both bikes hitting the floor.

The top bike landed on my top tube, putting a small dent in it and chipping the paint. I'm trying to figure out if this is something that can be touched up, or if the frame should be repainted. I think my insurance would cover the repaint, but if it can be touched up it might be easier. I'm mostly worried about rust, but I also don't want the touch up to look terrible.

This is a full steel CDA.

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx312/Altadog/SerottaDamage.jpg

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx312/Altadog/SerottaDamage_1.jpg

avalonracing
08-21-2011, 05:10 PM
It looks like you have a literal forum name now.

Ken Robb
08-21-2011, 05:27 PM
clear nail polish will prevent this from rusting. You may be able to find either Testor's Model paint to match at a hobby shop or some nail polish at a beauty suppy house or even a big drug store.

How it looks afterward depends on how much care you take with prep and finish work.

John H.
08-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Some builders can pop them out. Bilenky comes to mind.
Other options are to get it refinished by someone who is good with bondo.
I have seen quality repaints with bondo- can't tell there ever was a dent.

ultratoad
08-21-2011, 05:48 PM
First of all, I feel your pain! I thought things like that just happened to me. You might consider having a painter do some panels-- could work out for the best....

Ti_on_Steel
08-21-2011, 05:56 PM
It looks like you have a literal forum name now.

lol, I actually have a Ti rod in my back and ride steel bikes, which is where the Ti_on_Steel came from. In this case it would be Al_crashing_into_steel.

jr59
08-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Just ride it!

Bikes are not meant to be works of art! They are meant to be ridden hard.

A very small ding, like the one you are showing, will do nothing to lessen the ride it will give.

Use some clear nail polish on it and ride it like it was meant to be ridden.

false_Aest
08-21-2011, 07:07 PM
i once had a gf who had a few "beauty marks" on her face.
she hated them.
i loved them.

ultraman6970
08-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Actually the only issue is the color but is fixable at home, and I dare to say that the dent is easiest to fix that the paint chips. If you want details PM me. Don't want to discuss this in here, will be too long.

avalonracing
08-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Actually the only issue is the color but is fixable at home, and I dare to say that the dent is easiest to fix that the paint chips. If you want details PM me. Don't want to discuss this in here, will be too long.

Hey, I think I'm not the only one who is curious now.

fogrider
08-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Just ride it!

Bikes are not meant to be works of art! They are meant to be ridden hard.

A very small ding, like the one you are showing, will do nothing to lessen the ride it will give.

Use some clear nail polish on it and ride it like it was meant to be ridden.
+1, you might want to touch it up with clear nail polish, but otherwise, just ride it. if you file a claim with your insurance, you might see it reflected in your premiums next year.

ultraman6970
08-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Hey, I think I'm not the only one who is curious now.

The problem with the chips is that u have to get exactly the same color or something really really close, as for the small dent that one is piece of cake in 5 mins that thing is fixed and ready for paint. I know u are more curious now :D No bondo, that is super bad product :)

Ti_on_Steel
08-23-2011, 07:22 AM
The problem with the chips is that u have to get exactly the same color or something really really close, as for the small dent that one is piece of cake in 5 mins that thing is fixed and ready for paint. I know u are more curious now :D No bondo, that is super bad product :)

So what then?