PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Claim Question

sean
08-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Trying to arm myself with info.

Today, on my way home from an awesome vacation, my car got re-ended. The dude that hit me managed to dent both frames, destroy my Saris and put some nice "saris foot" sized dents in my rear hatch- Awesome, three for one.

My Ritchey Swiss Cross took the hit, but transfered most of the damage to my wife's redline cross. Both are a bummer though- but I'm more concerned about the Ritchey.

I haven't had a chance yet to check the ritchey for alignment issues or a up close crack inspection, but there is a inch sized dent on the seat tube where the bike hit the backside of the rack. If that is the only damage, then the bike is still very much rideable.

But here is my question. While, upon initial inspection, the dent doesn't seem to mess with the integrity of the frame, if I ever decide to sell the frame, it sure will mess with the value.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? How has your insurance handled it?

eddief
08-20-2011, 10:36 PM
that is usually the other guy's fault. his insurance company should be the one to deal with it...maybe to be contacted by your insurance company. my neck hurts just hearing about this. but my neck always hurts when one of my bikes gets dented. if it was the other guy's fault, then his insurance company should pay for whatever it takes to make things right. a new tube and paint...or maybe a new Swiss Cross from Old Potatoe in Boulder.

you might get an estimate on what a new one would cost, another estimate on what a framebuilder would charge to fix each bike...if fixable. then you can have those in hand when the insurance adjuster starts to screw you around. you can show them the real costs and that you are on top of the situation. be nice, be prepared, know what it would take to make you happy, get taken care of.

gearguywb
08-21-2011, 05:39 AM
If you get rear ended in a traffic accident it is always their fault.

IMHO, if my bike frame was dented I would have it replaced. The idea of insurance is to make you whole. There is no way to fix the dent (other than replacing the tube and repaint).

oldpotatoe
08-21-2011, 07:27 AM

Today, on my way home from an awesome vacation, my car got re-ended. The dude that hit me managed to dent both frames, destroy my Saris and put some nice "saris foot" sized dents in my rear hatch- Awesome, three for one.

My Ritchey Swiss Cross took the hit, but transfered most of the damage to my wife's redline cross. Both are a bummer though- but I'm more concerned about the Ritchey.

I haven't had a chance yet to check the ritchey for alignment issues or a up close crack inspection, but there is a inch sized dent on the seat tube where the bike hit the backside of the rack. If that is the only damage, then the bike is still very much rideable.

But here is my question. While, upon initial inspection, the dent doesn't seem to mess with the integrity of the frame, if I ever decide to sell the frame, it sure will mess with the value.

Rear ended is pretty much the other guys fault, yes?

New frame, new rack, new Redline..all paid by his insurance.

Peter P.
08-21-2011, 09:45 AM
How this claim is handled is partly determined by the insurance laws in the state as well as the policy the at fault party has.

My guess is the adjuster will "argue down" the value of your loss.

Your best bet is to call your LOCAL insurance agent (even though you're not filing a claim against your policy) as ask them how best to handle your claim so you get the best deal. They'll likely be able to give you the inside scoop on what to expect from the other party's adjuster and how to best handle the situation.

ultraman6970
08-21-2011, 12:11 PM
I have a question tho, since the previous poster says something about the accident is not being claim under the OP policy, well in my opinion it depends because u have to notify your insurance company too. Your own insirance company can cut you a deal to get everything repaired right away (depending on the company tho), then there are arrangements between the companies in that way u don't deal with adjusters but your own people, but all depends on the policy too, i mean... probably the bikes needed to be in the policy too i guess.

sean
08-21-2011, 03:33 PM
The bikes and rack are covered under the car insurance, and renter's as a backup, but since they were on the car...

However, I do have to file two claims, one for the damage to the car, and one for the damage to the rack and bikes.

I'm taking the bikes in to get checked out on tuesday, the closer I look, the more I find. The bashgaurds, rings and BB are damaged on the Redline as well as the aforementioned dent. I need to give the ritchey another once over, but will more than likely get it repaired. My biggest concern is the BB shell as it took the brunt of the hit. I can already feel a kink in the cranks as they spin- need to see if there is actually any damage to the frame itself.

markie
08-21-2011, 03:59 PM
If you ride those bikes and they break whilst you are riding them, the other drivers insurance company will most likely be liable for any injuries. My experience is that insurance companies want to cut out any future liabilities and will write you a check for replacement bikes.

Bruce K
08-21-2011, 04:27 PM
I would think if the OP chooses to ride the bikes after knowing they had been damaged there would be no claim to file. He and/or his wife made the choice to ride a bike that had knowingly been damaged and therefore assumed any risk involved.

REPLACE anything that even smeels like it might be damaged and get the insurance company to do it.

BK

Walter
08-21-2011, 04:32 PM
I would think if the OP chooses to ride the bikes after knowing they had been damaged there would be no claim to file. He and/or his wife made the choice to ride a bike that had knowingly been damaged and therefore assumed any risk involved.

REPLACE anything that even smeels like it might be damaged and get the insurance company to do it.

BK

Riding the bike after it is damaged does nothing to diminish the value of the repair and the value of the claim. "Assumption of the risk" has nothing to do with what one does after an injury or damage.

Walter
08-21-2011, 04:38 PM
I have a question tho, since the previous poster says something about the accident is not being claim under the OP policy, well in my opinion it depends because u have to notify your insurance company too. Your own insirance company can cut you a deal to get everything repaired right away (depending on the company tho), then there are arrangements between the companies in that way u don't deal with adjusters but your own people, but all depends on the policy too, i mean... probably the bikes needed to be in the policy too i guess.

This is generally not a good solution. When you turn in a claim in on your insurance there is usually a deductible and bad consequences on your premium rating.

Sure your company can subrogate against the ins co for the wrongdoer and they say they will go after your deductible, but they always compromise the pd claims to leave the policy holder out in the cold.

Proceed with the claim against the wrongdoer (and his/her ins co) for all of the damage.

Get good estimates on repair (and potential full value if a "total") and make sure you include the cost of swapping the components off the old bike and on to the new one.

Most ins adjustors blanch at the prices on high end bikes so you really need well done, professional looking letter opinions of value from reputable shops (or the bike brands dealer).

IJWS
08-21-2011, 04:51 PM
take any damage you think you have and multiply it by two. Seriously. I would have a local framebuilder set a quote for replacing the dented tube (structural or not..) and a repaint. Then I would get a mechanic to look at then entire bike and quote you for replacement parts. Be firm and insistent with the insurance company. Good Luck!

djg21
08-21-2011, 05:26 PM

Put in a claim for both bikes in full. It is doubtful the claims adjuster will make a distinction between a ruined bike, and damaged components.

markie
08-21-2011, 07:06 PM

BK

But if the OP told the insurance company the bikes were damaged and the insurance company refused to replace them, then they failed causing bodily injury, what would happen then?

When I was hit by a car the drivers insurance company was keen for me not to ride my old bike again. They told me that scrapping my old bike and writing a check for anew one eliminated future liability on their part.

Get new bikes out of the crash at the cost of the other drivers insurance.

Walter
08-22-2011, 08:52 AM
But if the OP told the insurance company the bikes were damaged and the insurance company refused to replace them, then they failed causing bodily injury, what would happen then?

When I was hit by a car the drivers insurance company was keen for me not to ride my old bike again. They told me that scrapping my old bike and writing a check for anew one eliminated future liability on their part.

Get new bikes out of the crash at the cost of the other drivers insurance.

If one can get the entire, actual cost of a replacement bike out of it great.

That said, be careful as there is a very large trend for ins co's now to "total" many more vehicles rather than repair them because they save money. They discount the value of the car claiming the "value" is artificially low. They use results from a captive company claiming to have done an "independent" and comprehensive market analysis to come up with the value. BS. They then sell you the car back to you if you want it for the salvage value which is artificially high (subtracting that amount from the claimed value) and give you a salvage title which kills your resale. They do not have that bogus database with bicycles.

An insurance company does not become liable for covering your loss (whether fixing the vehicle or totaling it).

There is a huge difference in how various carriers handle these claims. Some are better than others. They are all in it to maximize their bottom line at the expense of the injured party (whether a first or second party claim).

Plum Hill
08-22-2011, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=Walter]This is generally not a good solution. When you turn in a claim in on your insurance there is usually a deductible and bad consequences on your premium rating.

Sure your company can subrogate against the ins co for the wrongdoer and they say they will go after your deductible, but they always compromise the pd claims to leave the policy holder out in the cold.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement.

When my "attacker's" insuror gave me the runaround, I went to my Homeowner's insurance company. With a replacement cost rider, I received full reimbursement less deductible from them (State Farm). Within one week I also received a check for my deductible.

State Farm had a much easier time subrogating their payout than I did settling with the other guy's insuror.

Bottom line - it all depends on his insurance, your insurance, the attitude of the adjusters, and a myriad of other details.
Just be prepared for the worst and don't cave in.

Walter
08-22-2011, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE=Walter]This is generally not a good solution. When you turn in a claim in on your insurance there is usually a deductible and bad consequences on your premium rating.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement.

When my "attacker's" insuror gave me the runaround, I went to my Homeowner's insurance company. With a replacement cost rider, I received full reimbursement less deductible from them (State Farm). Within one week I also received a check for my deductible.

State Farm had a much easier time subrogating their payout than I did settling with the other guy's insuror.

Bottom line - it all depends on his insurance, your insurance, the attitude of the adjusters, and a myriad of other details.
Just be prepared for the worst and don't cave in.

You had a good result and that is great. Your experience is sadly the exception rather than the rule. And it will still adversely impact your premium rating. I had that experience with State Farm. Any claim = an increased premium rating. Keeping your carrier out of the loop is almost always a better end result overall.

Plum Hill
08-23-2011, 09:51 PM
Walter - I did not see an increase in my homeowner's rates after the incident.

Without involving my insuror, I would have gotten $3400 for a mangled Ottrott SE. With my insuror, I got a replacement.

Just my experience.