PDA

View Full Version : campy thumb shifter

shankldu
08-20-2011, 09:51 PM
with campy chorus shifters how do yu keep tension on the thumb shifter spring when you reasemble

cmg
08-20-2011, 10:20 PM
You place the center hub that will hold the coil spring and use a flat end screw driver to turn it and find the male appendage on the otherside. when aligned it it will go down a tiny bit locking the pieces together. hold the assembly in place with your thumb while you align the coil spring. when you get the spiring to sit in one of the grooves of the center hub take a small allen wrench and pull the hook end of the spring over the P post.

go to youtube and search for a campagnolo ergo power shifter assembly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSAnAmBXYSY there are several.

keevon
08-20-2011, 10:24 PM
Send a PM to Dave. He's the residing Campy guru and has an excellent set of overhaul instructions.

Mike748
08-21-2011, 08:53 AM
To me that is the hardest part of reassembly. Make sure all the parts are seated on the shaft so that the end with the flats protrudes slightly. The spring hub has to engage it, but not by much. As stated above, get the thumb spring engaged with the spring hub, and then turn it CW/CCS depending on L/R until the hub engages the main shaft. Then apply the big washer and hold it down until you can get the bolt in. In my case it took several tries, as the hub would always pop out of engagement.

Also critical is that the gear selector be in the fully "selected" position when you do this... full travel on the finger lever (large chainwheel or largest cog position). The clock spring is then in its most relaxed position. The clock spring works against the derailleur spring to make shifting effort (and detent load) lighter.

weiwentg
08-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Personally, I prefer the Probikekit video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxOfgqiiZtY&feature=related

The step the OP described starts at about 4:00. It really vexed me the first time, but the second time, I saw the video and it's actually not hard.

Thread drift - I disassembled and reinstalled my ergos last night. I was missing one click, although the shifter seemed to hit the high and low stops. After much fiddling with the derailleur and cursing, I took the lever off and checked things. There were, indeed, only eight clicks. I took it apart and realized that after cleaning the indexing rachet in front, I had installed it backwards. :crap: :crap: :crap: