PDA

View Full Version : How much trouble is it to true a wheel with a dynohub (i.e. Schmidt Son hub)?

d.vader123
08-20-2011, 07:00 PM
Hello. Another newbie question to all dynohub owners about the dynohub and specifically about the Schmidt Son20R hub.

I was reading this post (http://www.cyclingforums.com/t/446729/faulty-schmidt-son-hub-dynamo) and it discusses about how a LBS tried to true a wheel that was equipped with a Schmidt hub. The result was a damaged hub.

After reading through that post, the replies seemed to be about bearings being adjusted which Peter White strictly says never to do. I thought wheel truing was about putting a wheel on a truing stand and spinning it. Where does tightening or loosening bearings come into play? In other words, how would an LBS screw this up?

Another question I had was about whether a Schmidt Son wheel ever needs truing. I am getting this idea from Peter White's site. http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Wheels.asp

Under the heading, "Lifetime Guarantee" he says a properly built wheel will never need truing. I know I'm a newb, but how can he say that when wheels become bent simply over normal use, wear, and tear.

But again the main question is can you true a wheel equipped with a Son hub?

saab2000
08-20-2011, 07:10 PM
The wheel I got from Peter White needed truing out of the box. Might have gotten banged in transit. I dunno. It's a front wheel with a Shimano dynamo hub and a Mavic rim.

Not a huge deal, I just dropped it into my Park truing stand and did the job. Took about a minute.

No big deal.

Truing a wheel and adjusting the bearings are not the same thing.

Should be workable just like any other wheel. After all, that's how they get built.

The hub is just a hub with regards to truing it. Other maintenance of the hub itself is likely a very, very different story.

d.vader123
08-20-2011, 07:20 PM
The wheel I got from Peter White needed truing out of the box. Might have gotten banged in transit. I dunno. It's a front wheel with a Shimano dynamo hub and a Mavic rim.

Not a huge deal, I just dropped it into my Park truing stand and did the job. Took about a minute.

No big deal.

Truing a wheel and adjusting the bearings are not the same thing.

Should be workable just like any other wheel. After all, that's how they get built.

The hub is just a hub with regards to truing it. Other maintenance of the hub itself is likely a very, very different story.Thank you Saab. Then I'm wondering why that poster from the other forum ended up with a faulty Son hub from truing it?

Ken Robb
08-20-2011, 08:04 PM
My SON is 36 hole with some vintage STOUT Mavic touring rims and they never have needed truing but I can't see anything that would make them any trickier than other hubs.

EricEstlund
08-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Building/ truing/ tensioning is the same as any other hub.