PDA

View Full Version : OT: Solar Hot Water systems anybody have one of these?

Smiley
08-20-2011, 06:03 PM
My 6.25 KW PV system is schedule for install last week of this month... can't wait to have my roof make money for me. The freaking stock market can't anymore :)
So who has any working knowledge of Solar Hot water a bit trickier to apply but seems to have better direct benefits.

dhoff
08-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Congratulations on the PV and thanks for going there. I used to know a lot about this technology but it has come so far in the past few years, my knowledge is insufficient. I do know that Solar Water is way more efficient than PV in delivering energy. You can certainly do it either the grassroots way or high tech.

What are you looking to accomplish with the System? Are you heating the house or just your water? Either one is very doable.

I have done a lot of this work but again, my info is out of date. Still, if you want to discuss specific issues, I may be able to help some.

-d

NHAero
08-20-2011, 09:19 PM
We've installed Heliodyne equipment, made in CA, yet we're kind of fed up with their controllers, which have the ability to report over the net but have been sucking up mucho IT time in getting them up and running.

Two interesting systems:
- Wagner, a very successful German company, is now selling in the US and they have a very slick looking packaged drainback system.
- Sunnovations is a new company with a clever passive pumping system.

We haven't used this equipment as yet but have some proposals out with Wagner equipment.

maunahaole
08-21-2011, 05:11 AM
We did a solar hot water system a couple years ago and are happy with it. We get a lot of sun and the water gets VERY hot during the day. After running some quick numbers, we calculated that it will pay itself back in a few years after the tax credits applied and was a better bang for the buck over PV. What exactly are you trying to accomplish with it?

Smiley
08-21-2011, 08:01 AM
We've installed Heliodyne equipment, made in CA, yet we're kind of fed up with their controllers, which have the ability to report over the net but have been sucking up mucho IT time in getting them up and running.

Two interesting systems:
- Wagner, a very successful German company, is now selling in the US and they have a very slick looking packaged drainback system.
- Sunnovations is a new company with a clever passive pumping system.

We haven't used this equipment as yet but have some proposals out with Wagner equipment.

drain back systems seem a bit simplier to me and I'd love to contaact u off line to discuss. Thanks Aero :)

Z3c
08-21-2011, 09:55 AM
Way to go on your PV system; every person who does this helps us all! I am envious, we only have 4.2Kw. My friends are amazed at our electric bills; last month was $122 with 2 ac's and a pool pump working hard in the Az heat.

Have pondered solar water but have not done it yet. Lots of folks here have it and I have heard great things about all except the cheapest systems.

Scott

Brian Smith
08-22-2011, 07:33 PM
Hoping to go solar HW this year. PV is the dream, but cost parity or near-parity is the M.O.
We have a room unserved by our hot air system, and hope to employ excessive capacity for our HW use, and use some of the excess HW for radiant in that room.
We're keeping the panels off the roof as well, since I'll be servicing it myself, like most things I seem to accumulate....

I think if ecological benefit is the concern, spending the money with electricity already being generated in renewables is more worthy of "investment" than sticking some panels on individuals' own roofs, but I guess I have more sympathy for those making a statement with PV expenditures than I do for those making it via investment portfolios. Maybe sympathy is the wrong word...

Smile-man, go for the HW as well, atmo.

tele
08-24-2011, 08:26 AM
Mr. Smiley

we installed a HW system in 2008 and its has been great. No regrets at all. We have 2 collector panels from Solene, a Florida company, an 80 gallon tank and some simple controls. I had it installed and "helped" the guys do it, pretty simple actually. I have a buddy who is an electrician and he installed his own system from this German company up the road from us: http://www.stiebel-eltron-usa.com/index.html

The 2 biggest advantages to the hot water system for us: quick payback, like 6-8 years, and the system is very efficient, even decent output in our New England winters.

Here is some good research links about the different panels and a calculator:

http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/consumer/solar_hot_water/homes/index.htm

http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/consumer/solar_hot_water/homes/calculator/index.htm