PDA

View Full Version : Way OT, Phoenix AZ and Condos

gearguywb
08-19-2011, 04:00 PM
The SO and I have been kicking around the idea of purchasing a condo/townhome in the Phoenix area while pricing is very attractive. Long term plan would be to rent it out for a few years until we are at a point in our lives that we could move into it.

Any suggestions on areas of Phoenix to look in? Places that you can ride from home and are fairly close to mountain biking are a real plus :)

Any suggestions for realtors in the area?

Thanks!!!!

bart998
08-19-2011, 04:05 PM
but Mapmyride.com has 100 pages of rides in Phoenix posted by local riders... happy hunting.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/list/Bike/United%20States/Arizona/Phoenix

Sorry, but I don't know any realtors there.... Mostly go to Lake Havasu.

Gummee
08-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Why Phx?

Prescott and Prescott Valley are nicer. So is Tucson. Ditto with Sierra Vista. Added bonus for SV is the altitude. Altitude = moderated temps. :nod

Phx = LOTS of people. LOTS of concrete. LOTS of 100+ temps.

The others? Not as much. If you're interested in other places, let me dig thru my contacts and I'll see what I can do about getting names.

M

gearguywb
08-19-2011, 04:45 PM
We really liked Prescott and Prescott Valley. If we can get into a condo/th for the same money that would be great.

Sierra Vista and Tucson are a no go for us. We need to be closer to a major airport and I have spent some time in SV and am not a big fan.

Thanks for the suggestions!!!!!!

jghall
08-19-2011, 04:58 PM
I'd add Sedona to the list. Do not believe too much farther out than Prescott.

learningtoride
08-19-2011, 05:10 PM
I live in Tucson now but lived in Glendale (Phx suburb) for five years. I can tell you of some places to avoid only from their known crime activities and know the areas fairly well in that I have managed and promoted with many bands in the Phx metro area- In your research please be sure to check the stats as Phx has WAY more drama in crime than even Tucson! The Guadalupe area is very known as Cartel area- Metro Phx is built on a grid much like the way you'd learn your way around Manhattan, it's Central Ave is the main vein and anything East is STREETS and anything WEST is avenues. When they developed the city somebody thought it'd be fun to make a street running diagonally across the city and that's called Grand Ave. The freeways and such are to be learned only by experience but in my travels and knowledge of the city I would suggest looking more on the west- south west area of the place. Central East is primarily ASU (Tempe/Mesa) As to where the Streets (especially that around 45th St and Mcdowel area) is a crack etc infested environment. As I mentioned I lived in Glendale which was say...55th Ave and Bell Rd and it was very nice- Right by Honeywell and major local shopping along with easy access to alot of great riding areas. I haven't lived there in a while but I would still suggest the Glendale/Peoria area as good places to look. If I can be of any help feel free to send a msg! :p

floxy1
08-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Look in the Pointe South Mountain area. Great townhouses and patio homes and easy access to trails. I lived there and kick myself everyday for selling that condo.

KF9YR
08-19-2011, 08:40 PM
I live in far north Phoenix (Carefree Hwy / I-17).

I like it up here as I can ride from my house (mountain or road bike) and the roads aren't as busy. It's also a quick ride up to Flagstaff/Sedona etc if I want to cool off in the summer.

Sedona/Prescott aren't as warm in the winter if you're looking for year-round biking weather.

One of my friends is looking at a 5-yr old 1800 sq foot Townhome in a gated community just a short distance from here and they are asking approx 145k...

I have a few customers on the Police force and this area is a yawner for them.

I don't really know any R.E. People on the residential side of things though.

As for rides, I usually ride alone or with a couple of friends but there are a mix of hilly rides and flat rides that we take and there is a Thursday night crit in Anthem (year-round). Check out the Black Canyon Trail if you are into MTB but you are out in the desert so it's definitely something you wouldn't do alone.

Ken Robb
08-19-2011, 11:16 PM
I know Russ Lyon Realty was the best in town for many years but I've been retired long enough not to be sure any more. Probably still a good bet though.

Louis
08-19-2011, 11:21 PM
Unless you enjoy a little sand in your air, I'd stay away from Phoenix.

http://vvoice.vo.llnwd.net/e14//phoenix-haboob-part-ii-the-revenge.6930822.87.jpg

http://www.ouramazingplanet.com/images/stories/haboob-arizona-110706.jpg

rice rocket
08-20-2011, 12:38 AM
Thought this thread was about condoms. I leave disappointed. :help:

Louis
08-20-2011, 12:42 AM
I leave disappointed. :help:

Some folks just can't take a good ribbing...