PDA

View Full Version : Boiled eggs, gummy bears on a ride

jgspin
08-19-2011, 11:04 AM
On 3+ hours bike ride I usually bring gels and power bars. I was curious if any of you eat boiled eggs on the ride/rest stops. Of late I have brought gummy bears and find them more pleasant to chew than power bars and easier to eat than gels. I can pop one or two in my mouth and don't feel so parched right away. They are also cheap. Only con is that when it is really hot, the gummies kind of melt and are sticky.

bumknees
08-19-2011, 11:08 AM
I sometimes carry half-PBJ sandwiches on longer rides (one slice of bread w/PBJ, folded onto itself). I think I'd hurl eating eggs on long rides.

christian
08-19-2011, 11:09 AM
I like bananas, but for an instant-crazy-good-hit of sugar, nothing beats those Welch's fruit snacks for kids. They are insane.

Matt-H
08-19-2011, 11:16 AM
I typically carry almonds and/or walnuts and dried cranberries. Works for me. I love eggs, but don't think I'd eat them on a ride.

chismog
08-19-2011, 11:33 AM
+1 for Gummy Bears. I like the Happy Cola gummies too.

Along the lines of energy candy, have you tried those power jellybeans? AWESOME. Can't speak much for how they power you up, but for sure they don't hurt and they taste great.

Gel makes me want to barf.

AngryScientist
08-19-2011, 11:52 AM
standard jelly beans, love them on long rides. i use them like dog treats. make it another 10 miles.... have a bean, sprint to the sign...have a bean, get over that hill....have a bean. sounds silly, but it actually helps with longer rides for me.

thwart
08-19-2011, 12:49 PM
On the Dairyland Dare (hilly challenge ride) last weekend, one of the stops had cheesecake (and oh, it looked good... :D ) and brats. It was 80-85 degrees, and there was no way I could stomach that stuff. One of my neighbors was volunteering there, and I spoke to her later... she said there was a fair amount of that stuff eaten. She said especially with the folks doing the 250K or 300K.

veggieburger
08-19-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm all for gummy bears and worms. The tougher gummies (like sour keys, without the sour) seem to do better in a hot jersey imo.

William
08-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Chocolate milk at a rest stop or post ride. Mmmm. I know not everyone can pull off dairy on a ride but it doesn't seem to bother me at all. Fig newtons work for me on long rides as well.

William

SoCalSteve
08-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Chocolate milk at a rest stop or post ride. Mmmm. I know not everyone can pull off dairy on a ride but it doesn't seem to bother me at all. Fig newtons work for me on long rides as well.

William

+10000 on the Fig Newtons! Also, peanut butter filled pretzels and trail mix with M & M's.

johnnymossville
08-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Mrs. T's Potato Pierogies.

Gummee
08-19-2011, 01:06 PM
When you could get slim fast everywhere, that was the mid- long ride fuel of choice.

That and Mtn Dew and a Snickers

AFA eggs? Nope. Not even pickled!

M

azrider
08-19-2011, 01:12 PM
packets of honey from KFC and water. done.

Kevan
08-19-2011, 01:14 PM
I prefer boiled bears and gummy eggs myself....

All that processed energy sh..tuff gives me a bad case of the winds. Nope, I mix cranapple juice 60/40 with water for drinkin', and nuthin' beats two chocolate chip or oatmeal raisin cookies sandwiching a big gob of crunchy peanut butter.

Do love choco milk too! But for stops or at the end.

biker72
08-19-2011, 02:30 PM
I carry pre-packaged fat free Fig Newtons. Two bars per package.

tv_vt
08-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Gummy bears sound a lot like Clifblocks. Chewy and fruity. Gummy bears are probably a lot cheaper, though. I like the Marguerita clifbloks on long hot rides (3 x the sodium).

BumbleBeeDave
08-19-2011, 02:47 PM
. . . are my total guilty pleasure food at organized events. I can never justify buying a whole box of them when I'm out riding by myself--too many to eat by myself, or so I mumble.

BUT . . . if it's an organized ride and at the rest stop they have a box that's already opened. WELL, THEN! . . . :banana:

I could ride from here to the moon on those things! . . . :D

BBD

SEABREEZE
08-19-2011, 03:10 PM
I typically carry almonds and/or walnuts and dried cranberries. Works for me. I love eggs, but don't think I'd eat them on a ride.

I'm in Matts camp, we sell lots of differents nuts here on the farm, so I like making an assortment of nuts and dried fruits (trailmix) put into zip lock, and they come along on the ride.

Post ride a nice smoothie

ultraman6970
08-19-2011, 05:55 PM
What about 5 of those super fiber content of granola bars and anything else? Those will make you get home really really fast, maybe even beat the hour record warrantied :D

SoCalSteve
08-19-2011, 06:47 PM
I prefer boiled bears and gummy eggs myself....

All that processed energy sh..tuff gives me a bad case of the winds. Nope, I mix cranapple juice 60/40 with water for drinkin', and nuthin' beats two chocolate chip or oatmeal raisin cookies sandwiching a big gob of crunchy peanut butter.

Do love choco milk too! But for stops or at the end.

I'm riding with you from now on! You know how to live life large!!!

mike p
08-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Little Debbies fig newtons. Ten times better than regular fig newtons! Try em.

Mike

Louis
08-19-2011, 08:07 PM
This provides some REAL nutrition

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQp78osERF9ehUhwfKStklSp8Pkw2ZG oALPmo5U9GliKWZrskS

dhoff
08-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Fig Neumans are an all natural version. I am super organic in my approach to food and don't eat refined sugars, ever. So on rides I use Raw Revolution Bars, great balanced carbs and protein, good food combining, highly digestible and there is nothing toxic in them at all. Most of the items listed above are full with chemicals I would only feed to an enemy.

I also drink water with Himalayan Crystal Salts, yerba Matte and Licorice Tea. I add Aloe and Chlorophyl for good measure.

So no, no gummy bears for me.

Would love to hear from other riders looking to ride on clean food.

gdw
08-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Sorry dhoff but I'm riding with the B-man and Louis. Freihofer's chocolate chip cookies rule and cheescake isn't too far behind. If they aren't available Snickers, gummee bears, and bananas are easy to pack and have the necessary toxins to keep me going. Twizzlers and Don Miguel refrigerated Burritos are great for all or multiday rides.

dhoff
08-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Sorry dhoff but I'm riding with the B-man and Louis. Freihofer's chocolate chip cookies rule and cheescake isn't too far behind. If they aren't available Snickers, gummee bears, and bananas are easy to pack and have the necessary toxins to keep me going. Twizzlers and Don Miguel refrigerated Burritos are great for all or multiday rides.

No need to be sorry. May you enjoy them all for the next million Miles!!!!

Keep the rubber side down!

Louis
08-19-2011, 08:57 PM
On a more serious note, this year I haven't been bothering with solid stuff (Clif bars) unless I think my ride is going to be around 3 hours or more. Anything less than that, and I've just been doing drink-mix. (In my case Cytomax.)

Edit: 2 hrs or less and I just do plain water.

eddief
08-19-2011, 09:08 PM
had been doing well with pbj sandwiches and then this hot babe offered me a half of her peanut butter and banana sandwich...so to speak. and I swear that combo, to me, is so much better tasting than the traditional PBJ sand. and on a sandwich, it does not make any difference if the banana is dark or not. my new favorite is PB and ban.

on another note, our local incredibly busy, not Whole Foods vege spot, sells organic whole wheat/apricot bars/newtons. the best on the road.

Julian Brooklyn
08-19-2011, 09:36 PM
The clymb just had a nice sale on 'real' gels etc. Might still be up.

scoobydrew
08-20-2011, 03:42 AM
On my longer rides, I usually pack a couple of snacks. One of them being a PB&J sandwich like many of you have mentioned. Nothing beats a long break munching on a delicious classic sandwich and enjoying the scenery.

Also, I carry a Nature Valley Granola Bar and sometimes those ClifBloks.

HomardBreton
08-20-2011, 04:59 AM
...on my side depends on the type of the ride. Short, hard units ( ~ 2hrs. ) - doing intervals at the border of going acidic, I just taking some isotonic drink or coke without bubbles. Food isnīt needed here.

On longer rides ( ~ 3 hrs. or more ) Iīll take some cereal bars ( in GER there some fruity ones, which are not dry and dusty, e. g. Seitenbacher ) and bottles of plain water with me. Thereīs an ideal delivery of sugar and dietry fiber.

In races only gels and / or bars and at the end: coke or beer w/o bubbles. Delivers fast energy and ( in case of the beer ) displaces the pain for a short period. But every body is different, so this is my own experience.

d_douglas
08-20-2011, 06:33 AM
Oh god, the thought of that makes me ill. I would be hurling, no doubt. It might not help that it is boiling hot today where I live.

Water and a granola bar. Irresponsible, but that's me...

jgspin
08-20-2011, 11:08 PM
I've tried many of the suggestions here, i.e. fig newtons, nuts, sport beans, etc... I've yet to try a cheesecake and some other goodies. I've started liking the gummy bears for the price and convenience. Today however I did an 80 mile ride in Palmdale up to Mountain High Ski Resort and during the climbs I could not open the ziploc bags with the gummies until I stopped and took off my gloves. What do you guys use to pack your snacks in?

RFC
08-20-2011, 11:22 PM
Humus prior to the ride. Whole wheat Newtons, or the generic equilvalent (often better than the Newton brand -- more molasses).

Louis
08-20-2011, 11:22 PM
I've yet to try a cheesecake and some other goodies

I think that's probably a good thing...

I stick to zip-locks. Or, for individual small stuff, like electrolyte pills (can't remember the brand I use) I put them in the super-thin sandwich bags with non-zip flip tops that come a whole bunch per box for very little $.

Is the interest in gummi bears (and I assume, gummi worms too) due to their presumed similarity to Clif-blok (sp?) type stuff? My sister sends me gummi-candy all the time, but I've never tried the Clif-bloks. Do we know for a fact that they are similar in terms of what a cyclist needs?

fourflys
08-21-2011, 10:15 AM
My sister sends me gummi-candy all the time, but I've never tried the Clif-bloks. Do we know for a fact that they are similar in terms of what a cyclist needs?

here is the nutrition info for the shot blok black cherry...

http://www.clifbar.com/uploads/product/sb_blk_cherry.gif

here is the main page

http://www.clifbar.com/food/products_shot_bloks/

Louis
08-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Sounds like they're mostly sugar, with a few other things thrown in to justify the price.

I think at least 50% of what you're buying with this sort of thing is packaging convenience.

here is the nutrition info for the shot blok black cherry...

here is the main page

http://www.clifbar.com/food/products_shot_bloks/

laupsi
08-21-2011, 03:34 PM
don't we all ride to eat?

dhoff
08-21-2011, 03:51 PM
What do you guys use to pack your snacks in?

Wax Paper sandwich bags. No sticky, not ever

neiltron
08-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Peanut butter and bacon sandwiches are great, as well as peanut butter and honey.

Gummi bears/worms/fish, cookies - anything with a lot of sugar that's easy to eat usually gets me going.

Post-ride, a nice tall glass of organic chocolate milk..mmm..

rugbysecondrow
08-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Fruit and nuts. They come in their own packaging, no mess and they do the trick for me. Apples, bananas, peach, almonds, raisins, walnuts etc. Ibtypically only use water as well.

The gummy stuff leaves a film in my mouth I don't care for, so I avoid it.