PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Ultra vs Power Shifter

dana_e
08-19-2011, 10:34 AM
This has been discussed so for one year / maybe 2 / campagnolo made Athena, Centaur and Veloce Ultra Shift ten speed. (multiple cog dumps with right shifter)

Then they all went Power Shift, even the Athena 11 speed.

So what gives, why such value engineering?

I love Campy but, some times they dumb stuff up too much

All got switched to Power Torque cranks too. Whatevs.

Oh yeah I have a pair of the Ultra Shift Veloce in black, they rock.

ultraman6970
08-19-2011, 10:52 AM
I believe campy played their cards right getting their money back. The issue before was that racers were just getting the cheap stuff because it was the same functionality than the expensive stuff, so if u had an accident it was just go and change the parts for the cheap ones and u were all set. Then a couple of years ago they did a good move (for them), escape... so now if you want the good stuff u have to go with the chrous and up shifters.

Then they changed the mechanics inthe shifters and now escape is called power shift i believe? Then what they did was just say, from athena down will be power shift and from chorus up will be ultra shift or whatever.

It is good for them because they will sell more of the expensive stuff, user wise u will get what u really need, the old fat guy that doesnt know how to shift it wont make any difference to drop 5 cogs in 1 click because he will click the stuff one by one anyways. I have record and i dont race no more, if campy had a 7 speed brifter I would be happy because i dont use all the cogs or the whole functionality of record, it looks nice tho :D

In general i dont think it was a bad idea, the issue is that f.. up users and made the things pretty confusing, saddly campagnolo never been consistent even with serial numbers in the past, all the stuff looked the same, it was even more confusing that it is today.

The power torque move? That one i dont understand, it was easier to make thicker cups or better spring washers than engineer a whole new system, the worse, where in the world the tools are? Power torque is a waste.

dana_e
08-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Athena Carbon 11 powere torque crank is lighter than the chorus ultra torque crank

dana_e
08-19-2011, 10:54 AM
the new campy standard (this is fun)

bobswire
08-19-2011, 11:00 AM
I use both and really don't realize any real difference when I'm riding. Shifting is excellent on both whether I skip gears with the Ultra or have to do multiple clicks w/power shift.
Got the power shift from Europe $106, w/ cables,no complaints(bonus being these were in silver). http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Gearshift-and-Brake-Lever-Sets-Road-Campagnolo-Powershift-Ergopowers-Veloce-Silver-10Spd-with-cables/CAMPGRSS105

dana_e
08-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Cheap Ergo or Power Shifters are a nice part of campagnolo

Even Chorus is not that bad for price.

Shimano Shifters are heavy, below Dura Ace at least, and really pricey, in my book

SRAM, well, I think double tap is one tap too many

And frogs and leaping, that is for fairy tales. Maybe they should have a kiss the frog make the leap promo.

The function of SRAM throws me off, I mean I could live with it, but am not paying bucks for SRAM shifters, double tao and then single tap, just weird.

Add to it that Campy has the best hood shape!

fatallightning
08-19-2011, 02:59 PM
as for ut vs pt, i believe purely cost cutting on campys part. hirth joints are very pricey to machine.