PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Front Campy Der.

Cat3roadracer
08-18-2011, 09:32 PM
I was at a neighbors tonight helping him with a stuck front der., and really offered no help at all. With the cable detached, the shifter seems to shift. With the der. removed from the cycle, there is no movement at all. The der. is Athena, I think, but for this exercise the model should not matter. Why would this unit not move? Can certain pivot points sieze, causing the whole thing not to work? The der. has been soaked in WD-40, and will continue to be overnight. The whole shooting match will be taken to a shop tomorrow, but I would really like to figure this out before then.

What do you think?

Thanks, Dave

thinpin
08-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Once had a similar problem. Tiny piece of gravel 1mm across stuck behind a spring.

Louis
08-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Did the problem occur gradually, or all of a sudden?

Obviously if you can't move the F-der by hand (after intentionally putting lots of slack in the cable by attempting to shift to the small ring or releasing the cable at the F-der) then you need to examine that closely and figure out what's wrong there. Busted part? Cruddy linkage?

Sometimes my cable binds a bit at the BB if things haven't been cleaned up in a while, but that seems to be a separate issue here.

SPOKE
08-19-2011, 08:31 AM
Remove the limit screws just to make sure someone didn't turn them all the way in to mess with you....;)