PDA

View Full Version : a weekend at CMWC '05 NYC

Brian Smith
07-09-2005, 02:31 PM
There was a great participant turnout and a series of very fun events last weekend in New York City. Cool, sunny weather, and decent organization on the part of the NYBMA made for a pleasant weekend. I decided that if I was going to attend, and there was no admission fee to pay to help support it, then I should pay to enter at least one of the competitions. I was a little hindered by my chosen bike for the weekend, my fixie, but I reckoned the main race to be my best event to attempt. Most of the serious competitors in that event bring nice racy road bikes, but I hoped to make it through the qualification round on Saturday anyway and be able to race the final on Sunday. The main race seeks to simulate actual work as a bike messenger, and I think that despite closed roads and outdoor "offices," it is a good quality simulation. I had my bike "stolen" by make believe thieves once each day... I did manage to qualify pretty well ( http://www.nybma.com/cmwc2005/qualifiers_byTime.htm ) but ended up blowing up, messing up, and finishing somewhere in the back during the final ( http://www.nybma.com/cmwc2005/results_finals.htm )

One of the required stops during the qualification round was a "flat fix" stop, wherein you had to deflate a tire and remove a valve stem from a rim, show it to an official, then reinstall, reinflate, etc. Here is a photo of me at that stop, shots of me racing, the lone Serotta I saw there, and maybe some shots of the skid for distance competition open only to brakeless fixed gear bikes. A new record was set during that event; a skid of 509 feet! Next year's event is in Sydney, Australia, but if this show comes to a town near you at anytime in your riding future, I can recommend it as a fun time, especially if you ever engage in competition on a bike of any sort. It is (obviously in my case) open to non-couriers, and nobody thinks you're stealing their spotlight or not worthy of entering if you're not a messenger. It's a great piece of urban bike culture to experience.

RIHans
12-28-2006, 11:39 PM
The Frejus and the Serotta side by side...Too cool! :beer:

Serpico
12-29-2006, 09:34 AM
The Frejus and the Serotta side by side...Too cool! :beer:

I thought I had seen that pic before? or maybe just the bikes.

sounds like a fun event, the fixed gear folks have the right attitude imo.

Kevan
12-29-2006, 09:43 AM
warp.

Too Tall
12-29-2006, 10:11 AM
My new hero :) Too kool for school Brian.
I watched here in DC when they held in the Cap City and rode a lap of the city the day prior with the guys/gals. What a hoot. The Danish guys were there with Viking Horns and trials bikes jumping on everything in sight and hitching rides off of unsuspecting cars ;)

It is going to be a good yr.

Ginger
12-29-2006, 12:36 PM
LUV the shoes Brian.

Brian Smith
12-29-2006, 08:40 PM
My new hero :) Too kool for school Brian.
I watched here in DC when they held in the Cap City and rode a lap of the city the day prior with the guys/gals. What a hoot. The Danish guys were there with Viking Horns and trials bikes jumping on everything in sight and hitching rides off of unsuspecting cars ;)

It is going to be a good yr.

Oh yeah, the DC event was a good one for sure. I was really psyched about the main race there. The "World Welcome Ride" that I think you're talking about was fantastic. The whole shebang set the bar pretty high for pursuivant cities' events to reach. Maybe I can find some amusing photos...

One aspect of these events that is, to me, so very good, is that even folks who (should) have no hopes of placing well in the competitions have a really good time. Many things have to come together to make it so. You don't even have to "earn the right" to be there, and that goes for anybody - if you can ride a bicycle, enter and show up.
Anyone on the board heading to CMWC 2007 - Dublin?