PDA

View Full Version : RT @BicyclingMag (Bedford Content -- Paging Smiley)

Nooch
08-18-2011, 10:47 AM
"this eye-catching k.bedford road frame just arrived to test. Uses custom lugs for the huge head tube and BB30 http://t.co/8rQWKDY"

(yeah, that's some twitter slang for ya...)

Nice to see Kelly getting some love in the mainstream. though something doesn't look right about that front end...

MattTuck
08-18-2011, 10:59 AM
wow. that head tube looks like 2 beer cans stacked on top of each other.

thwart
08-18-2011, 11:23 AM
that head tube looks like 2 beer cans stacked on top of each other.yeah... I dunno, Kelly builds great bikes, but the aesthetics there don't work for me... the huge head tube and relatively tiny looking steel fork...

http://ow.ly/i/fVUC

SamIAm
08-18-2011, 11:40 AM
yeah... I dunno, Kelly builds great bikes, but the aesthetics there don't work for me... the huge head tube and relatively tiny looking steel fork...

http://ow.ly/i/fVUC

I'm also struggling with that head tube and fork combo. Maybe Smiley can chime in here. He usually has the inside scoop.

zap
08-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Oh.

I'll take a guess. Large diameter ht with al insert that can accomodate 1 1/4" steerer (machined) if needed/wanted in the future.

William
08-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Olde English 800 Tall Boy option?

;) Joking. Though I don't get the need.

William

palincss
08-18-2011, 01:47 PM
That head tube is fugly. Sorry, Kelly - WHY??? Dual-use technology as a launcher for anti-tank rockets for a survivalist?

palincss
08-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Olde English 800 Tall Boy option?

You mean, like this?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/62/Tall_Boy_Bombe.jpg/228px-Tall_Boy_Bombe.jpg

William
08-18-2011, 01:52 PM
or this....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_e8OABGDF6Yg/SKpTHBYIsDI/AAAAAAAAA8Y/ZmgBuLl48rA/s320/olde-english-800-dumbo.jpg

Both pretty much put you in the same place. :beer:

William

Nooch
08-18-2011, 01:53 PM
think he meant

http://www.zug.com/daily/journal/graphics/080809_cheap_booze_01.jpg

Louis
08-18-2011, 02:16 PM
wow. that head tube looks like 2 beer cans stacked on top of each other.

That would not have been my choice if I had been involved in the design.

MadRocketSci
08-18-2011, 03:49 PM
i dunno...it looks functional and purpose built. for whatever reason. the main tubes look more like Ti-diameter than traditional steel diameter. That steerer tube looks 1.5". The head tube is gonna be big to accommodate. If this is appropriate for the application and rider, who cares *** it looks like? It sure would be interesting to ride....

Smiley
08-18-2011, 05:59 PM
He did not think this bikes nature would be exposed so soon :) If you look at the pictures the bike was built with TWO forks and the Carbon fork was the intended fork for the build. Plenty of very interesting stuff Master Bedford did to this frame that I would be short changing him to try and explain it all. This is best left to Kelly to do now that its out there.

Ahneida Ride
08-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Actually, the image is a bit of an optical illusion ..
In reality the headtube does not appear that over-sized.

I am sure Kelly will chime in about the design considerations.

The lugs were built from scratch.

Nooch
08-18-2011, 08:31 PM
If you look at the pictures the bike was built with TWO forks and the Carbon fork was the intended fork for the build.

I thought I saw what appeared to be a carbon fork of a similar paint job, but wasn't entirely confident that was the case...

Interested to hear more about this machine!

Smiley
08-18-2011, 08:46 PM
I thought I saw what appeared to be a carbon fork of a similar paint job, but wasn't entirely confident that was the case...

Interested to hear more about this machine!

Sometimes u just dont know what the outcome will be, I know Kelly told the editor at Bicycling to forget the steel fork and build her up with the Carbon one.

rugbysecondrow
08-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Agreed. The test will be not how the frame looks now but how it looks as a bike...I bet it will look pretty fly.

Seott-e
08-18-2011, 09:48 PM
I want to see it with the Carbon fork, yea in the pic the steel fork looks a bit stick-like. Still, I bet it will be a great riding bike if it's anything like all the other KB's out there.

K Bedford
08-18-2011, 10:52 PM
OK, so......here's the deal. This frame was built and supplied with two forks, one a Serotta carbon fork (in the background of the photo linked) and a steel fork.....yeah the fugly one.
The design concept for this type of frame which was to somehow blend old world construction techniques and aesthetics with current day tech came out of a conversation with a friend and visionary person.
The two forks were supplied so that the bike could be ridden with both and be evaluated for ride quality in comparison, aesthetics aside.....somewhat of a test platform.
Obviously the steel fork proportionally does not cut it with the large head tube but I can say with confidence that the carbon one does and this will be the preferred set up in the final photos.
I'm going to go lick my wounds now..............K :bike:

Louis
08-18-2011, 11:07 PM
The two forks were supplied so that the bike could be ridden with both and be evaluated for ride quality in comparison, aesthetics aside.....somewhat of a test platform.
Obviously the steel fork proportionally does not cut it with the large head tube but I can say with confidence that the carbon one does and this will be the preferred set up in the final photos.

Test-configuration products aren't always pretty... :)

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2009/photorelease/q2/K64691.jpg

Smiley
08-19-2011, 06:43 AM
The lug housing a BB 30 bottom bracket bearing set, or the fact the the lug set for the over sized head tube with the low profile inset King head set install. These lugs are all hand cut by Bedford and this is what he was doing with the frame set to begin with.

verticaldoug
08-19-2011, 07:57 AM
Kelly, I am sure with the serotta fork, it will look great and handle even better.

I just hope the Bicycling crew ride it with an open mind. Sometimes, they seem a little too partial to technology and the Pinarello Dogmas.

rugbysecondrow
08-19-2011, 08:15 AM
The lug housing a BB 30 bottom bracket bearing set, or the fact the the lug set for the over sized head tube with the low profile inset King head set install. These lugs are all hand cut by Bedford and this is what he was doing with the frame set to begin with.

The more I look at it the more I like it. I have seen a TI bike Kelly built with that HT diameter and it does not seem large in person. I suspect Ray is right about it being an optical illusion. Add the beefier carbon fork and I bet it all balances out quite nicely.

Climb01742
08-19-2011, 08:41 AM
looking at that picture i couldn't help but to think of the guys you see at gyms with huge beach-impressive upper bodies but chicken legs.

but knowing kelly a bit, there's unseen wisdom there, for sure.

BumbleBeeDave
08-19-2011, 09:14 AM
. . . until I see the complete built-up bike. This bike is for Tech Editor Andrew Bernstein at BICYCLING. He lived in Saratoga, knows Kelly, and I'm betting he and Kelly know what they are doing. :beer:

BBD

e-RICHIE
08-19-2011, 09:14 AM
<snip> but knowing kelly a bit, there's unseen wisdom there, for sure.

agreed. kelly has mad fab skills and this frame is by no means representative of what he brings to the table.
i'd like to know more about the chat from the front end of the project because i think it would explain more
than what we see in the pictures that are circulating online atmo...

...a conversation with a friend and visionary person.

MattTuck
08-19-2011, 09:27 AM
I'm going to go lick my wounds now..............K :bike:

No need to do that! I feel bad, since my response was the first, and sorta sent the thread in a negative direction. I hope I wasn't too critical, just made the comment that the head tube looked big... that doesn't mean it was bad.

The beautiful thing about bikes, in my opinion, is that the 'form' follows the function. The double triangle design is born out of the demands of riding, not of style (unless that round tail thing gets popular). What works is beautiful, but everything that is beautiful does not work. So, designing (even experimenting) and building a frame to work flawlessly is never something for which you should have to 'lick your wounds'.

So, just for the record, no disrespect meant.

Ahneida Ride
08-19-2011, 09:51 AM
I've seen this bike in person, and I gotta say that the head tube looks
quite normal. The frame was designed to mate with a Serotta F3
fork and not a steel one. You can see the F3 fork in the
background.

The steel fork was solely an secondary experimental overture to compare the ride characteristics with 2 different forks. Kelly had some
ideas on how that particular straight steel fork would ride and wanted to verify his thought with some hands on feedback.

The head tube is the same size as other frames using that particular
modern component head set.

The bike will be built up with high zoot components. The final build
will exemplify the original theme, that is a bike created with old world
craftsmanship while embracing and accelerating 21 century
technology.

Correct pictures will be posted some time in the future.
They should validate (and vindicate my meager reputation here)
that the head tube blends seamlessly into the final build.

e-RICHIE
08-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Correct pictures will be posted some time in the future.
They should validate (and vindicate my meager reputation here)
that the head tube blends seamlessly into the final build.

kb need neither validation nor vindication atmo.
so, what size is that pipe anyway?

ps

arrange disorder

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
:) :) :)
;) ;) :p

Ahneida Ride
08-19-2011, 10:04 AM
These lugs are all hand cut by Bedford and this is what he was doing with the frame set to begin with.

Kelly built the lugs from scratch. Plenty of perfect Fillets in this frame.
I've seen the bike naked.

Ahneida Ride
08-19-2011, 10:11 AM
kb need neither validation nor vindication atmo.
so, what size is that pipe anyway?

Don't know exactly .... I'll ask kb ....

but I do know it's the same size he has been frequently dropping in to
Ti bikes, cross bikes and mtn bikes. So there is plenty of history to
show that it tastes great and is less filling.

Sadly, pictures don't represent reality. :crap:

fiamme red
08-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Is that a 1.5" headtube? If so, what's the advantage of a steerer with such a large diameter on a road bike?

William
08-19-2011, 12:34 PM
No offense meant toward Kelly and his skills, that was never in question. I was just joking that the large head tube, color of the frame, and a mention of "Beer Cans" made me think of the OE800 can.

William

Charles M
08-19-2011, 01:02 PM
I cant get past how well the lugged BB30 worked. I'de like tighter pics of that press in head too... Your color prefs aside, theres some really slick stuff going on there.

1happygirl
08-19-2011, 01:05 PM
Used to have an aluminum frame. My dad called it my beer can. i was so young didn't get it. hahahhahah

Ahneida Ride
08-19-2011, 01:17 PM
I cant get past how well the lugged BB30 worked. I'de like tighter pics of that press in head too... Your color prefs aside, theres some really slick stuff going on there.

Pez ...

I got shots .... but for numerous reasons ... tis best if the
owner of the frame posts em. not Kelly or I.

Smiley
08-19-2011, 02:56 PM

Kelly just finished Ti Road BB 30 bike for one of my clients --- pics to follow and he really likes the BB 30 concept and its simplicity. He really liked how the pictured bike came together too.

Goddy
08-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Andrew was having a hard time registering and asked me to post the following:

Hey all, First time reader, first time commenter here. Kelly called this thread to my attention, so I wanted to offer a little background. The K. Bedford Custom currently residing in my office (awaiting a handlebar!) will be part of a Bicycling Magazine Dream Road Bike test in our December issue. It will be featured alongside bikes from Ira Ryan, Gaulzetti (a late addition), Chris Bishop, Seven, and Form.

When I first approached Kelly about participating in the review, we had a conversation that went something like this:

Kelly: "What kind of a bike should I build?"
Me: "You're a master -- show our readers what you can do."

Three months later, Kelly delivered a frame that used hand-built lugs to join oversized tubes. As he pointed out, his intent was to marry the skills he honed with bikes like the 7-11 Serottas with newer technology that I might find on the carbon race bikes we test. It's been pointed out here that the bike uses both an integrated headset and BB30 bottom bracket -- both pretty cool features on a steel bike, I think! I'll be riding (and photographing) the bike primarily with the carbon fork, which I agree looks better, and will save some weight, but I'm also looking forward to seeing how the steel fork compliments the bike's overall ride.

We'll be building this bike with SRAM Red (in black) and cockpit components from Easton and Fizik. I'll be riding both Easton and Lightweight wheels. Make sure to follow @bernietweets for photos of the bike as we finish the build, and of course, be sure to check out our December issue to read the whole story, AB

P.S. I tried to register, but lost patience. Fortunately, my friends are willing to help me out!

Andrew J. Bernstein
Gear Editor
Bicycling Magazine
Rodale, Inc.
Andrew.bernstein@rodale.com
Office phone: (610) 967-7761
Twitter: @Bernietweets

Serotta_Keith
08-19-2011, 03:35 PM
<snip>
Actually he just completed the registration process about two hours ago and I have approved his account, so he should be able to post now.

Smiley
08-19-2011, 03:53 PM

Hey all, First time reader, first time commenter here. Kelly called this thread to my attention, so I wanted to offer a little background. The K. Bedford Custom currently residing in my office (awaiting a handlebar!) will be part of a Bicycling Magazine Dream Road Bike test in our December issue. It will be featured alongside bikes from Ira Ryan, Gaulzetti (a late addition), Chris Bishop, Seven, and Form.

When I first approached Kelly about participating in the review, we had a conversation that went something like this:

Kelly: "What kind of a bike should I build?"
Me: "You're a master -- show our readers what you can do."

Three months later, Kelly delivered a frame that used hand-built lugs to join oversized tubes. As he pointed out, his intent was to marry the skills he honed with bikes like the 7-11 Serottas with newer technology that I might find on the carbon race bikes we test. It's been pointed out here that the bike uses both an integrated headset and BB30 bottom bracket -- both pretty cool features on a steel bike, I think! I'll be riding (and photographing) the bike primarily with the carbon fork, which I agree looks better, and will save some weight, but I'm also looking forward to seeing how the steel fork compliments the bike's overall ride.

We'll be building this bike with SRAM Red (in black) and cockpit components from Easton and Fizik. I'll be riding both Easton and Lightweight wheels. Make sure to follow @bernietweets for photos of the bike as we finish the build, and of course, be sure to check out our December issue to read the whole story, AB

P.S. I tried to register, but lost patience. Fortunately, my friends are willing to help me out!

Andrew J. Bernstein
Gear Editor
Bicycling Magazine
Rodale, Inc.
Andrew.bernstein@rodale.com
Office phone: (610) 967-7761
Twitter: @Bernietweets

I am envious Andrew especially hearing of the build components and them HOT Lightweight wheels :)

Ahneida Ride
08-19-2011, 04:19 PM
your envious ?

I can't wait to see this puppy built up !

dem lightweight wheels are truly amazing !
They are lighter then a Saint's Halo.

Dekonick
08-20-2011, 08:45 AM
The comparison of the steel fork v.s. carbon fork should be interesting.

BumbleBeeDave
10-10-2011, 06:08 AM
Completed bike. You can tell a bit more about it now. Andrew Bernstein says:

K. Bedford Custom's entry for Bicycling Magazine's Dreambike. Look for it in the December issue! Oversized steel tubes, lugged frame, 18lbs = one dreamy ride.

BBD

rugbysecondrow
10-10-2011, 06:59 AM
much better, looks very nice and I bet it does ride like a dream.

BumbleBeeDave
10-10-2011, 08:01 AM
. . . for that head tube area cosmetically. It still looks a bit oversized and the lines don't flow naturally into the fork crown.

But as I said earlier in the thread, let's see how it fares in the story. Kelly KNOWS his stuff and I will trust his judgment. I also know that despite all that experience, I'm not sure he's ever done this exact thing before.

Let's wait for December and see what happens!

BBD

oldpotatoe
10-10-2011, 08:50 AM
I am envious Andrew especially hearing of the build components and them HOT Lightweight wheels :)

"We'll be building this bike with SRAM Red (in black)"

Thought it was a 'dream' bike. It 'needs' SuperRecord, SuperRecord-e' or Di2..not 'black' red.

Resting on laurels comes to mind with regard to the group.

BumbleBeeDave
10-10-2011, 10:20 AM

Thought it was a 'dream' bike. It 'needs' SuperRecord, SuperRecord-e' or Di2..not 'black' red.

. . . if you had a spare gruppo lying around, Andrew would be glad to use it. :D :rolleyes:

BBD

EDS
10-10-2011, 10:52 AM

We get it, you like Campy.

oldpotatoe
10-10-2011, 11:48 AM
We get it, you like Campy.

Wasn't sure,
I did mention Di2.....

oldpotatoe
10-10-2011, 11:49 AM
. . . if you had a spare gruppo lying around, Andrew would be glad to use it. :D :rolleyes:

BBD

Well, he's got some Lightweights 'lying around'.

Fixed
10-10-2011, 11:57 AM
we have come a long way ..thinking a carbon fork is beautiful and a steel one not

cheers

Smiley
10-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Has anbody followed Andrew's tweets of late, wondering if he is still feeling the love from his steel Bedford ;)