PDA

View Full Version : Single Speed Questions

Dlevy05
08-17-2011, 11:53 PM
My interest is rising in SS bikes, as I'm drawn toward the simplistic design and the type of user input required to ride well.

I've got a few questions that need answering. I hope these aren't too 'annoyingly basic', but I've never ridden an SS in all my years of biking...

What pro/cons are there to using a single speed specific wheelset as opposed to a regular wheelset/cassette with spacers?

Could one potentially put a derailleur on their frame with an SS wheelset and run three speeds?

Any other interesting info about single speeds is also welcome. Thanks.

fogrider
08-18-2011, 01:52 AM
with a single speed specific wheel, the spokes are symmetrical and the cog is aligned with chainring...quiet chain. the wheel is stronger and the spokes are all the same tension. could you run a derailleur and 3 cogs, sure, but then you loose the simplicity as you will now you have to use a road wheel, spacers, shifters, and a longer chain.

the other downside, you look like a semi hipster, your speed is limited on the top end and you might also have a harder time on the climbs.

6mt
08-18-2011, 03:37 AM
My interest is rising in SS bikes, as I'm drawn toward the simplistic design and the type of user input required to ride well.

I've got a few questions that need answering. I hope these aren't too 'annoyingly basic', but I've never ridden an SS in all my years of biking...

What pro/cons are there to using a single speed specific wheelset as opposed to a regular wheelset/cassette with spacers?

Could one potentially put a derailleur on their frame with an SS wheelset and run three speeds?

Any other interesting info about single speeds is also welcome. Thanks.

I'll try my best to answer your question,

1) the fundamental difference is the rear hub width. SS hub (or track hub)are 120mm, where as a road hub is 130mm. So the pros of running a SS hub would be that if you have a flip-flop hub, you could run both fixed and freewheel. and the con would be that if you choose to use a regular road frame, i don't think "fixed" could be achieved with 130mm road hub.

2)i'm not sure if I understand the second question, however there are internal 3-speed hubs out there with 135mm spacing i believe. Sram, Shimano, and Sturmey Archer each have their own line ups (fixed or freewheel). Rohloff makes internal geared hub as well, but very pricy.

hope this helps.

jblande
08-18-2011, 06:06 AM
i don't think "fixed" could be achieved with 130mm road hub.

White Industries.

markie
08-18-2011, 06:23 AM
Are we talking for the road or for the trail?

SS is boring on the road, go fixed!

Fixed is difficult on the trail, go SS for its low maintenance and the freedom of always being in the right gear.

palincss
08-18-2011, 06:43 AM
with a single speed specific wheel, the spokes are symmetrical and the cog is aligned with chainring...quiet chain. the wheel is stronger and the spokes are all the same tension. could you run a derailleur and 3 cogs, sure, but then you loose the simplicity as you will now you have to use a road wheel, spacers, shifters, and a longer chain.

Where would you get a 3-speed freewheel these days? Or are we talking here about 1 in back, triple crank up front?

I think if someone really wants a 3-speed, they could get all the chainline benefits and relative drivetrain simplicity with a 3-speed internal gear hub rather than messing with derailleurs; if you're going to derailleurs, might as well at least go to 7.

palincss
08-18-2011, 06:45 AM
go SS for its low maintenance and the freedom of always being in the right gear.

Or, alternatively, "Seldom if ever being in the right gear"?

harlond
08-18-2011, 06:47 AM
Are we talking for the road or for the trail?

SS is boring on the road, go fixed!I love riding my SS on the road, don't find it boring at all. To each his own, however.

xjoex
08-18-2011, 07:29 AM
I have been having fun on my SS mountain bike. I picked up a Cannondale Trail SL 29 3 (review here: robonza review (http://robonza.blogspot.com/search?q=Cannondale+Trail+SL+29+3) ) .
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-WZ8znK8JnKw/ThIrcQfFinI/AAAAAAAADhE/nfzWRhF-Ibw/IMG_0202.JPG

The Cannondale is interesting because you can swap out the derailleur hanger and run gears. Which is pretty cool in a lower priced SS bike.

-Joe

PSC
08-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Agreed, I love riding my SS on the road. I am finding that I ride it more than my geared bike. Since most of my riding is solo, I don't have anyone to keep up with and set my own pace. With a 42x17 I can comfortable hold 22-23 mph, and still get up some pretty steep hills.

6mt
08-19-2011, 03:46 AM
42x17 and you could still do 22 mph+; that's some serious cadence.

Lifelover
08-19-2011, 10:43 AM
I have doe a ton of road SS (not fixed) riding and love it. However it's pancake flat where I live.

The advanatages of SS specific gear is much more important (required) when talking about riding fixed.

I don't understand the 3 speed thing at all. Either have gears or don't.

rugbysecondrow
08-19-2011, 11:18 AM
I love riding my SS on the road, don't find it boring at all. To each his own, however.

Agreed. Fixed is fun too, but I don't like riding downhill on fixed gear, just not my cup-o-tea. SS is more freeing to me.

No wrong decision, just varying degrees of right. :beer:

bigflax925
08-19-2011, 11:26 AM
I have done a lot of road riding on SS and fixed. Both are fun and both have advantages and disadvantages.

Everyone talks about the zen of fixed. If you've never ridden fixed (SS, too), the silence is astounding. It's amazing how often you shift and you don't realize it until you try SS.

My riding has lots of hills, so I need brakes for fixed riding. I've actually had a blow out due to heat generated from a long descent. Never on my SS, though.

It's challenging and fun. It can be painful, but it's still being outside and riding which is better than being inside behind a desk.

don'TreadOnMe
08-19-2011, 02:09 PM
It can be painful, but it's still being outside and riding which is better than being inside behind a desk.

QOTD

illuminaught
08-19-2011, 02:40 PM
I'll try my best to answer your question,
1) the fundamental difference is the rear hub width. SS hub (or track hub)are 120mm, where as a road hub is 130mm. So the pros of running a SS hub would be that if you have a flip-flop hub, you could run both fixed and freewheel. and the con would be that if you choose to use a regular road frame, i don't think "fixed" could be achieved with 130mm road hub.

You can run fixed on 130... your chainline will be off if you try this with a track specific (44mm-ish) crank/bb setup... but if you're using road cranks/bb it'll be perfect.

Bob Loblaw
08-19-2011, 09:26 PM
SS is awesome on the road. I ride one all winter and on rainy days.

I opt for the road hub and cassette spacers. It gives you a lot of control over the chainline, which is quite important. A chainline that's not straight will make for noisy riding and the bike will want to spit the chain off.

BL

6mt
08-20-2011, 04:15 AM
You can run fixed on 130... your chainline will be off if you try this with a track specific (44mm-ish) crank/bb setup... but if you're using road cranks/bb it'll be perfect.

i've never done that. does it required a special hub or how does it work?

merlincustom1
08-20-2011, 04:46 AM
42x17 and you could still do 22 mph+; that's some serious cadence.

114-119 to be exact.

http://www.machars.net/bikecalc.htm

Dlevy05
08-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Okay, thanks for the insightful responses.

I'm going to answer a few things that have been brought up so far.

1. It would be a cross bike, and one that I would travel with, it would most likely roll on open pros, or velocity rims, basically something that would last.

2. I would only avoid, or postpone an internal hub because of $. It is interesting to hear that they're the better option. Cost aside, I like the idea.

3. I was under the impression that you could mis and match cogs to fit SS spacing. Three speeds is what I'd had seen (I believe) until today when I stumbled upon this:

http://waltworks.blogspot.com/2009/10/this-one-goes-to-11.html

It seems like this is the best of both worlds. With cost in mind...

4. Although I'd be open to a fixed if I wasn't in as hilly of a place as the bay area, my downhill roots want me to take advantage of every descent.

5. Are there cons to the spacer setup aside from the spoke tension and wheel rigidity? It seems like you can choose your chain line with spacers, no?

saab2000
08-20-2011, 05:16 PM
I ride a Redline single-speed built up for winter/wet weather use. Huge success.

1. Get a Phil Wood BB. Adjustable chainline.
2. Get single-speed chainring bolts.
3. Use a White Industries ENO hub.
4. Use a White Industries single-speed freewheel.
5. Enjoy.

A single speed works great on flat, to lightly rolling terrain. As soon as you're looking at real hills though it becomes a PITA. Additionally, single-speeds are best left to solo rides or smaller, like-minded groups.

I roll with a 42x16 gear and it works great from about 15MPH up to a comfortable maximum of about 23MPH. More than that is spinning really fast, but it can be done.

I love the low-maintenance aspect of it. It's been awesome for wet rides and sometimes just tooling around town. I've got mine set up with a Shimano dynamo hub for autumn and/or winter rides in the dark or summer brewpub runs.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6076/6063513796_53dda87b30_b.jpg

xjoex
08-20-2011, 05:53 PM
Oh I like that bike... its got a beautiful monstrosity look to it.

-Joe

saab2000
08-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Oh I like that bike... its got a beautiful monstrosity look to it.

-Joe

It is a way, way better bike than I expected it would be. Very stable and pretty smooth riding, though that may have something to do with the 85-90 PSI 28mm tires.

It is a crossover 'cross bike. I could put discs on it but that seems like a bit of a waste for what I do. I bought some good TRPs and fixed 'em up nicely. They have very powerful return springs.

Planet bike fenders and the lights and there's little I can't do.

Highly recommended, the single speed thing.

Dlevy05
08-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Forgot to mention, mine would be BB7 only. Good tips. :)

RFC
08-20-2011, 11:37 PM
I ride 6K - 8k a year and a third of that is SS. I agree with all of the comments about simplicity, silence, etc. My reasons are primarily the quality of the workout.

Bottomline, SS gives you a more intense workout. Modern cycling favors constant power output that is manifested through an extensive gear system.

SS is more like running. Want to go faster? Pedal faster. Climb hills? Get out of the saddle and climb. Moderate downhill? Spin like hell and increase your cadence skills.

On moderate routes, my SS averages are better than my geared averages.

When I find myself getting gear lazy, it's time for a few days of remedial training on the SS.

sean
08-20-2011, 11:45 PM
I'm building up a SS cross right now. I really wanted to be a bit of a cheater and have two gearing options for the rear cog since I need a chain tensioner anyhow. I'm too cheap to spring for a white two speed cog and too impatient to find an ACS one, so I opted for a cheap solution.

I took a 5 speed suntour freewheel apart. Took off all the cogs. The particular freewheel body I had has the position 3 & 4 cogs as thread on. So I dug through my suntour spares, found a 17 & 19 middle position cogs, threaded them on with a spacer in-between- instand two speed freewheel.

EricEstlund
08-21-2011, 12:41 AM
I took a 5 speed suntour freewheel apart.

Back in my shop days I did a ton of this for single speed conversions. It generally allowed for easy chain line set up and allowed people to run their existing crank/ wheels.

That Bicycle Research Freewheel Vise was a sleeper money maker- even after the days of the cog boards!

http://www.loosescrews.com/Product_Images/BR-CV1.jpg