PDA

View Full Version : Ant Night . . .

BumbleBeeDave
08-17-2011, 08:23 PM
My GF has a church board meeting tonight, so I had dinner with her and then saddled up the cross bike, with headlight attached, and headed out on the bike trail.

Little did I know that the local ants had decided to have their mass mating flight and party tonight along the trail, which winds along the Mohawk River and usually has it's share of little flying things on summer nights anyway.

Tonight there were clouds of these little winged ants all flying around and I ended up covered with them . . . my face, my head, clothes, socks . . . everything covered with itty-bitty flying ants.

Of course it's a true miracle how all of them manage to come out on the same night to do their thing--like the Monarchs all returning to Mexico or homing pigeons finding their way home or sea turtle returning to the beach where they were born across thousands of miles of ocean to lay their own eggs.

But I sure wish they'd put up a sign or something so I could ride elsewhere and wasn't still picking them off of me. :crap: :p

BBD

Kevan
08-17-2011, 08:42 PM
think of them as...hair.

Cat3roadracer
08-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Dave,

They were everywhere last night and tonight. I ran tonight (Delmar), and was covered at several points. The temp was nice, the flies were not.

572cv
08-17-2011, 09:02 PM
coming through Lebanon NH, just clouds of these flying ants there too, Dave.

BumbleBeeDave
08-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Dave,

They were everywhere last night and tonight. I ran tonight (Delmar), and was covered at several points. The temp was nice, the flies were not.

Beautiful evening, perfect ride except for that!

BBD

Lifelover
08-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Sounds dangerous. I say we ban them!

dave thompson
08-17-2011, 09:44 PM
BBD, keep the ants on, don't brush them off. You'll look like you actually have hair! :eek:

bobswire
08-17-2011, 09:47 PM
My GF has a church board meeting tonight, so I had dinner with her and then saddled up the cross bike, with headlight attached, and headed out on the bike trail.

Little did I know that the local ants had decided to have their mass mating flight and party tonight along the trail, which winds along the Mohawk River and usually has it's share of little flying things on summer nights anyway.

Tonight there were clouds of these little winged ants all flying around and I ended up covered with them . . . my face, my head, clothes, socks . . . everything covered with itty-bitty flying ants.

Of course it's a true miracle how all of them manage to come out on the same night to do their thing--like the Monarchs all returning to Mexico or homing pigeons finding their way home or sea turtle returning to the beach where they were born across thousands of miles of ocean to lay their own eggs.

But I sure wish they'd put up a sign or something so I could ride elsewhere and wasn't still picking them off of me. :crap: :p

BBD

What a waste, too bad you had already eaten. :D