PDA

View Full Version : 100 push-ups

toaster
08-17-2011, 07:14 PM
So, an easy goal, just do 100 push-ups a day.

Start with 10 sets of 10 spread out over the day then progress to sets of 15 reps to get a total of 100 and then watch as you start knocking out 4 sets of 25, then 3 sets of 33, 40 x 2 + 20 reps, etc.

In four weeks most of us will crank out 35 reps per set.

Try it!

dekindy
08-17-2011, 07:19 PM
http://hundredpushups.com/

93legendti
08-17-2011, 07:26 PM
In my youth I could do 50 in one pop. Now, with my 50 yr old aching shoulders? I wish... :crap:

rugbysecondrow
08-17-2011, 07:28 PM
The 100 push up works pretty well, I started it last fall but quit before the end...I got distracted. I never reached 100, but maxed at 85. I started the 20 pull up workout a few weeks back and am progressing as planned, I can do 14 in a row now, hopefully up to 20 in 3 weeks.

I am going native with my workouts again, jumprope, pullups, pushups, dips, squat thrusts. I mix a few others, but all you really need are body weight exercises. When you weigh 230, body weight is plenty. :)

A fun challenge certainly.

ericspin
08-17-2011, 07:34 PM
I do this 5 days a week. Started unintentionally, I just wanted to be able to do 10 pushups. Now I do at least 100. I am 53 years old and have never really had much upper body strength or definition. Not anymore. It has been amazing to me what the pushups and other bodyweight resistance exercises have done for me. I have become a pretty loyal devotee of Mark's Daily Apple forum and have incorporated a more Paleo food plan. I imagine that it may not be popular with the typical _cyclist's mentality_ as he discourages chronic cardio which I think alot of cyclists subscribe to. Let me say that I used to believe that cardio was the only way to go. This new outlook seems to fit my body much better.

toaster
08-17-2011, 07:36 PM
I've got Oreo's on my Paleo!

Onno
08-17-2011, 07:40 PM
+1
I started doing 2 or 3 strength workouts a week a couple of years ago, and generally feel better and stronger than I did when I only did cardio workouts. And I don't think my overall endurance has suffered at all. As one of the trainers I worked with initially told me, who looks fitter, a cyclist or a sprinter? I still look much more like the former, but it's nice to feel as though I have a bit of muscle at last.

AngryScientist
08-17-2011, 07:46 PM
woof! inspired by the thread i just hopped down and gave myself the test. squeeked out 50, arms still trembling.

i'm going to follow the program, looks like a neat challenge, and since i'm going on vacation this coming week, i like that i dont need any equipment.

tremble

tremble

tremble...

wc1934
08-17-2011, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE=Onno]+1
I started doing 2 or 3 strength workouts a week a couple of years ago, and generally feel better and stronger than I did when I only did cardio workouts. And I don't think my overall endurance has suffered at all. As one of the trainers I worked with initially told me, who looks fitter, a cyclist or a sprinter? I still look much more like the former, but it's nice to feel as though I have a bit of muscle at last.[/QUOTE

+1
I have been improving my upper body strength - pushups, bench presses etc - I have also been making my own protein drinks and I do feel and look much stronger - drawback for me is that I have now gained a little weight.

laupsi
08-17-2011, 08:21 PM
i'm a has been personal trainer and group fitness director. push-ups are one of the best static exercises one can do. they're great for aerobic and anaerobic fitness, they build strength in the upper arms, shoulders, chest and stomach. one can do them almost anywhere and w/the new "scientific" finding, 15 mins a day of exercise is actually quite beneficial, they do not take long at all to do.

one caution however is joint fatigue as one ages; be aware of back, wrist, shoulder and neck strain. good rule is to start small, perhaps 4 sets of 10 and work up. can do them almost every day of the week but one should allow for rest and recovery w/any exercise during any given week.

false_Aest
08-17-2011, 08:24 PM
I love this time of year.

A bunch of cyclists will try resistance workouts. a handfull will continue and grow to love it.

Usually i start back at the gym on Sept 1st. this year I started on August 1st. I'm planning to continue through the race season unlike previous years when I stopped right before my first race.

I truly believe that working out helped my climbing significantly. Squats, dead lifts, pull-ups, shoulder work and triceps work is almost all you need.

Big guy in the gym benches 4x what I do . . . literally. I squat 3x what he does . . . chicken legs.

Someone once told me that squats helps testosterone production. I doubt it but I *BELIEEEEEVEEEEE* it.

good for ya'll

jr59
08-17-2011, 08:31 PM
Why?

Frankwurst
08-17-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm sittin here with a torn rotator cuff they are going to carve on Monday. I want to throw up, not push up. Plus I'm like 93legendti groaning old gracefully. Getting old is not for sissies. :beer:

Kevan
08-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Why?

+1

Wilkinson4
08-17-2011, 09:10 PM
When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the earth down.

mIKE

ps. Couldn't resist

jghall
08-17-2011, 10:03 PM
While I have gotten away from it, that is what I used to do. It was very easy to drop down whenever and wherever to do 25-30 without getting sweaty or looking too much like a dork. Let alone it only took a few minutes. Do 10x a day and you will start to get a chest.

It is said that all is all Herschel Walker did. Sit-ups too.

jimcav
08-17-2011, 10:23 PM
at least make each push up part of a squat thrusts and get more out of the time spent.

Dlevy05
08-18-2011, 12:02 AM
+1 on the greatness of using your body resistance to work out! It's all you need to be fit and healthy.

I do caution however, coming from a military background (and others on the forum may echo my sentiments), pushups do put a lot of strain on your wrists. As a result of general overuse, and copious amounts of pushups, both with and without extra weight on my body, I've developed problems with the tendons in my wrists. I find them easier on my wrists when I do them on my fingertips, although pull-ups are my preferred upper body exercise now.

fogrider
08-18-2011, 01:38 AM
+1 on the greatness of using your body resistance to work out! It's all you need to be fit and healthy.

I do caution however, coming from a military background (and others on the forum may echo my sentiments), pushups do put a lot of strain on your wrists. As a result of general overuse, and copious amounts of pushups, both with and without extra weight on my body, I've developed problems with the tendons in my wrists. I find them easier on my wrists when I do them on my fingertips, although pull-ups are my preferred upper body exercise now.
I find that pushups helps with my wrists and arms after working on the computer all day. I like to warm up with 10, then after about 10 minutes 30 and repeat until 100. situps 2 sets of 50. I do it about 3 times a week.

I'm not trying to bulk my chest, I want feel strong on the bike at the end of a ride.

Bob Ross
08-18-2011, 05:40 AM
I just wanted to be able to do 10 pushups.

Same here, but that's about where the plan stalled.

93legendti
08-18-2011, 06:28 AM
Well I did 15 last night before bed. Surprisingly, my shoulders didn't hurt during or after. :hello: Felt like I could have done more, but I didn't want to overdo it.

znfdl
08-18-2011, 08:00 AM
I got bored with the 100 push up work out and now I am doing about 6 hours a week of Vinyasa Yoga per week.

In Vinyasa Yoga you do a lot of plank and lowering to other poses, which is similar to a push up.

After 6 weeks of yoga my little aches and pains that I have had for the last decade have dissappeared.

rugbysecondrow
08-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Why?
Why do push ups or why strength train? Do you really want an answer or are you just being contrary?

rugbysecondrow
08-18-2011, 08:26 AM
I try mix it up and I like doing fist push ups or using push up handles that keep you wrist straight. I also alternate grip, elevation and orientation to mix it up. Use your core more by lifting one leg up... Lots of great options.

Pull ups are a great exercise but you need to commit to doing them. The integration of both pull and pushing exercises offers a great balance.

weiwentg
08-18-2011, 09:20 AM
Why do push ups or why strength train? Do you really want an answer or are you just being contrary?

I certainly feel like I've lost some core strength with cycling. I just love cycling too much, and I have a fairly busy schedule. If a cyclist asked me, why do push ups or weight train or do yoga, I'd say to regain core strength.

In my younger days I once did 30 pull ups straight. Wasn't as good at push ups.

snah
08-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Push ups hurt my shoulders....

My bro did this a couple years ago, 100 military push ups, consecutively, followed by 50 pull ups, consecutive as well.

When he was in the Marines, started at 25, worked backwards, 25 regular push ups, 24 extra wide hands, 23 hands in a triangle, 22 regular, and on down, you get the idea.

fiamme red
08-18-2011, 09:55 AM
I certainly feel like I've lost some core strength with cycling. I just love cycling too much, and I have a fairly busy schedule. If a cyclist asked me, why do push ups or weight train or do yoga, I'd say to regain core strength.Push ups don't really do anything for core strength.

In fact, once you're able to do a bunch of push ups (let's say, 15-20), adding more reps isn't doing anything for strength at all, just for muscular endurance.

dlbracey
08-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Pushups do involve core muscles, the same way that "bows and toes" plank involve core muscles, but they aren't the best core exercise.

My non cycling exercise has been boxing for the last 6 months. Through the winter I was boxing a lot and not riding much, when I got back on the bike the increased core strength from the boxing training resolved a bunch of the discomforts I was having on the bike previously.

Though I can now do 100 pushups, I think it was the ab and back strength training, burpees, and plyometric work that really helped me on the bike. I've found the boxing workouts to be a great complement to biking.

One of the workouts I always like is powers of 10, 10 pushups, 10 situps, 10 frog jumps, 9 pushups, 9 situps, etc... You can mix up the starting number and the activities, but it is a good way to push yourself through core exercises.

flydhest
08-18-2011, 11:26 AM
anyone own a Bosu? Pushups on a bosu . . . core strength.

http://www.bosu.com/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=BOSU/story.html

rugbysecondrow
08-18-2011, 11:46 AM
anyone own a Bosu? Pushups on a bosu . . . core strength.

http://www.bosu.com/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=BOSU/story.html

Yes, works well. Lots of variations so you can adjust elevation, one legged etc.

rugbysecondrow
08-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Push ups don't really do anything for core strength.

In fact, once you're able to do a bunch of push ups (let's say, 15-20), adding more reps isn't doing anything for strength at all, just for muscular endurance.

I 100% disagree, it is an active plank, it is an engagement of the core that allows you to even do the push up. With at that engagement, there is no push up. How could a push up not also be a core workout?

Also, one should workout towards a goal, but push ups can and do add strength. Take a look at blokes before and after basic training, they are quite a bit stronger. Will push ups help you bench more? Nope, but increasing your bench will also not help you do more pushups. Do get good at either, you train at them individually.

fiamme red
08-18-2011, 12:08 PM
I 100% disagree, it is an active plank, it is an engagement of the core that allows you to even do the push up. With at that engagement, there is no push up. How could a push up not also be a core workout?Well, maybe if you do hundreds and hundreds of push-ups, or do them extremely slow, so that it takes you a few minutes to complete a set.

Dekonick
08-18-2011, 06:06 PM
I love this time of year.

A bunch of cyclists will try resistance workouts. a handfull will continue and grow to love it.

Usually i start back at the gym on Sept 1st. this year I started on August 1st. I'm planning to continue through the race season unlike previous years when I stopped right before my first race.

I truly believe that working out helped my climbing significantly. Squats, dead lifts, pull-ups, shoulder work and triceps work is almost all you need.

Big guy in the gym benches 4x what I do . . . literally. I squat 3x what he does . . . chicken legs.

Someone once told me that squats helps testosterone production. I doubt it but I *BELIEEEEEVEEEEE* it.

good for ya'llThis pas

I enjoy working out in the gym and find it helps me at work. Lifting 400lb patients requires a strong core, as well as some bulk... if you don't want to get hurt.

I will never look like a 'cyclist' but that is fine with me.

toaster
09-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Just an update and a chance for others to report how they are doing following a program similar to this.

Update:

Continuing to do 100 push ups a day. Usually 5 sets of 20 or 4 sets of 25. Best performance so far was completion of 100 push ups in 4 and a half minutes. Most number of consecutive reps was 45 and that was not to complete failure. 50 is probably my maximum right now.

wooly
09-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Just saw this and like it. Just did my first ten of the day. I'm IN!

rugbysecondrow
09-22-2011, 11:05 AM
I am doing the 20 pull up challenge now...up to 13 pull ups in a row.

laupsi
09-22-2011, 11:09 AM
okay I have to jump in; have been doing 4 sets of 35 first thing, 5:30 am while walking my dog before work for quite a few years. takes about 15 minutes so they're spread out at about 4 min intervals. neighbors have probably seen me drop and do them and I am certain they think I'm nuts. will add that I've been back and forth on the quantity and 4 sets of 35 is my optimum amt. any more and I strain my back, any less and they're too easy. will also add I am very pleased w/the continued results as is my wife.
cheers :hello:

Elefantino
09-22-2011, 11:48 AM
I cannot do one pushup.

There, I said it.

JMerring
09-22-2011, 12:37 PM
I cannot do one pushup.

There, I said it.

anal leakage draining you? :)

i kid i kid.

ajz07
09-22-2011, 12:46 PM
I am inspired...with work and family commitments I dropped the weights ~4 years ago and just have never been able to get back into it. Going to try waking up 10-15 minutes earlier and getting the pushups in before I head out for the day.

CNY rider
09-22-2011, 01:11 PM
This thread has actually paid off for me.
A few months ago I could eke out 10 pushups with difficulty.
Now I alternate pushups with side planks with my morning stretching routine.
I am up to 2X20 pushups per workout now.

crownjewelwl
09-22-2011, 01:32 PM
I am doing the 20 pull up challenge now...up to 13 pull ups in a row.

kipping or no momentum??

rugbysecondrow
09-22-2011, 02:24 PM
kipping or no momentum??

Hanging, no or minimal momentum. When I started my number was low as I tried to work on form and range of motion rather than just trying to get to a number.

The only problem has been low pull up bars on some hotel gyms I work out in when traveling. I am 6'2" with long arms, not much room for a good pullup. I put a bar in at my house mounted on my deck. Everytime I walk past it or let the dogs out, 5 pull ups.

Good thread.

crownjewelwl
09-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Hanging, no or minimal momentum. When I started my number was low as I tried to work on form and range of motion rather than just trying to get to a number.

The only problem has been low pull up bars on some hotel gyms I work out in when traveling. I am 6'2" with long arms, not much room for a good pullup. I put a bar in at my house mounted on my deck. Everytime I walk past it or let the dogs out, 5 pull ups.

Good thread.

I put up a stud bar in my basement. Great investment. Every time I walk by, I pay the "tax". 20 is a good goal.

Acotts
09-22-2011, 03:06 PM
The 100 push up works pretty well, I started it last fall but quit before the end...I got distracted. I never reached 100, but maxed at 85. I started the 20 pull up workout a few weeks back and am progressing as planned, I can do 14 in a row now, hopefully up to 20 in 3 weeks.

I am going native with my workouts again, jumprope, pullups, pushups, dips, squat thrusts. I mix a few others, but all you really need are body weight exercises. When you weigh 230, body weight is plenty. :)

A fun challenge certainly.

You can do 14 pull ups at 230...holy ????!

You are in rare company.

Fixed
09-22-2011, 03:34 PM
250 hindu push ups 425 hindu squats 20 finger tip pull ups 50 back bridges

jjanda sit ups as many as i can do,
i also do finger tip push ups and weight train and run 3 miles
3 times a week
and 5000 yards swimming 3 times a week mostly with hand paddles no buoy

cheers

laupsi
09-22-2011, 03:59 PM

3 times a week

cheers

don't know what these exercises are but I'm drained just reading about them

daker13
09-22-2011, 07:09 PM

3 times a week

cheers

Wow... How long does that take?

Fixed
09-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Wow... How long does that take?
1 - 2 hours a day depending on how motivated i am
cheers
i also try to nap 30 - 60 mins. everyday
i like a lot of body weight exercises , but i can't ride my bike yet so i try to keep fit other ways

toaster
09-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Fixed = Guru

rugbysecondrow
09-23-2011, 05:20 AM

3 times a week

cheers

I do Hindu style push ups also, but 250 six days a week is a very very high number How do you structure this workout.

It always seemed he Hindu squats would hurt my knees, why those.

As an observation, I have never thought of Indians as being pontiffs of strength advice, quite the opposite actually.

Fixed
09-23-2011, 06:55 AM
I do Hindu style push ups also, but 250 six days a week is a very very high number How do you structure this workout.

sets of 50 mix in hindu squats ex. 50 hindu push ups -100 hindu squats - 10 back bridges .. start all over again cheers

It always seemed he Hindu squats would hurt my knees, why those.

As an observation, I have never thought of Indians as being pontiffs of strength advice, quite the opposite actually.
3 times a week gym work - swim 3 times a week =6
india has a very old culture and
yoga is about health both mental and physical
cheers
http://www.build-muscle-guide.com/great-gama-workout.htmlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Gama

MattTuck
07-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Alright, reviving this old thread.

I'm starting this 100 push ups program. I think I might try it with body weight squats, body weight dead lefts and possibly their pull up plan also.

Those folks who have tried it, have you kept up the discipline?

gomango
07-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Alright, reviving this old thread.

I'm starting this 100 push ups program. I think I might try it with body weight squats, body weight dead lefts and possibly their pull up plan also.

Those folks who have tried it, have you kept up the discipline?

I'll give it a go as well.

I turned 55 today and rode 62 miles last Saturday.

I've lost 45 pounds since last September and feel great.

This push-up deal won't take up much time.

Fwiw My 17 year old son has a weight bench here and is setting up a very light starting routine for me as well.

My wife approves. :)

Louis
07-10-2013, 07:16 PM

Congratulations !

gomango
07-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Congratulations !

Thank you.

Doc's orders, but my family backed him up.

I just made pizza for the family on the grill and I got a little taste. :)

texbike
07-10-2013, 09:36 PM
I turned 55 today and.....

My wife approves. :)

Congratulations on each of the above! That's great!

Cheers,

Texbike

kramnnim
07-10-2013, 09:40 PM
But...if I do pushups I won't have arms like Schlecks/Froome/Sir Wiggo. :(

Louis
07-10-2013, 09:46 PM
But...if I do pushups I won't have arms like Schlecks/Froome/Sir Wiggo. :(

Agreed. I'm already too slow going up the hills. I don't need any more muscle mass to make it even worse.

More seriously, I do do core strengthening work (in my case, vertical knee raises, and back extensions) which have eliminated my low-back pain issues while on the bike.

LegendRider
07-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Tyler is the new corporate spokesman for One Hundred Pushups.

Jaq
07-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Agreed. I'm already too slow going up the hills. I don't need any more muscle mass to make it even worse.

More seriously, I do do core strengthening work (in my case, vertical knee raises, and back extensions) which have eliminated my low-back pain issues while on the bike.

100 push-ups is low-weight/high reps. That doesn't build bulk or (big) strength, but endurance. But you will pick up some upper-body strength, allowing you to come out of the saddle more easily, control the bike with more authority longer, and because you're in overall better shape, your lower body will have more energy resources available than it would if your upper body wasn't as efficient.

Joel Friel's book has a section on total-body weight training, with the conclusion being that - all other factors being equal - riders who do strength and endurance training (weights) outperform those who don't.

gomango
07-10-2013, 10:44 PM
Congratulations on each of the above! That's great!

Cheers,

Texbike

Thank you!

It's been a great day. :)