PDA

View Full Version : A New Low...

Aaron O
08-17-2011, 06:17 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/tacks-glass-found-along-colorado-bike-race-routes-230043540.html

I understand that it's probably just a jerk or two, but this sort of escalation is truly gross. Obviously I'm preaching to the choir here.

I'm not a cyclist super advocate like some here. I get that we're a small minority that by our nature inconveniences faster moving traffic. I think that there are legitimate concerns about cyclists and that drivers have some reasonable and valid issues relating to bike lanes, infrastructure, etc. That being said, this sort of behavior is ALWAYS the last resort of the cowardly and the intellectually bereft.

palincss
08-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Happened during a race in Leonardtown MD last year, too. I believe the perps were caught there.

And many years ago, there was a tack attack on the Mount Vernon Trail that caused hundreds of cyclists to get flat tires. Nothing official was ever heard regarding the case, but rumor had it that the perp was caught and NPS kept it quiet. One thing for sure: it was never repeated.

Kontact
08-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Or it was simple vandalism, performed by children. Until someone is caught it is a little difficult to read motivations.

Kevan
08-17-2011, 06:51 PM
It's someone with a miserable life who wants company. Sad.

thinpin
08-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Low, for sure. But new? probably not

rugbysecondrow
08-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Karma is a mother????er.

ORMojo
08-18-2011, 05:23 PM
I read about the CO incident at about the same time this story surfaced in my local paper regarding some of the trails I frequent.

http://www.registerguard.com/web/newslocalnews/26696427-41/trail-barriers-mountain-forest-willamette.html.csp

And this is just before round two of this year's Mt Bike Oregon, and, so far, includes "barriers" on at least one of the official MBO trails. MBO is a blast - I do both weekends every year - we'll see how much discussion this gets this weekend.

MattTuck
08-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Maybe it is Stan, he wants you to switch to Road Tubeless and buy his sealant.

:banana:

Kidding aside, the world today certainly seems more antagonistic than in times past. Whether it is politics, bullying, cyclists, there seems to be a sad trend away from constructive discussions and toward sticking it to 'the other' guy. Sucks when you're the other guy... Sucks more when you're the other guy.

The irony of this is that if cyclists see glass on the shoulder, they'll ride further into the lane, and be more of an annoyance to drivers.

Aaron O
08-19-2011, 09:45 AM
Maybe it is Stan, he wants you to switch to Road Tubeless and buy his sealant.

:banana:

Kidding aside, the world today certainly seems more antagonistic than in times past. Whether it is politics, bullying, cyclists, there seems to be a sad trend away from constructive discussions and toward sticking it to 'the other' guy. Sucks when you're the other guy... Sucks more when you're the other guy.

The irony of this is that if cyclists see glass on the shoulder, they'll ride further into the lane, and be more of an annoyance to drivers.

I think it's the economic hardship so many are facing. When you're broke and struggling, you're more likely to be angry and unreasonable.