PDA

View Full Version : got a bike shop job

fourflys
08-17-2011, 05:33 PM
so I got a p/t job at one of the local Performance Bike Shops.... today was my first day on the floor after doing some training days... not bad, sold about $800 in merchandise in about 4 hours (sold a bike, that was most of it)... I got this job to get some experience in the industry and something to do while I go to college (still AD Coast Guard)... really enjoying it so far and really like getting people into cycling or just talking about cycling... it's a different clientele than some other shops for sure, but in a good way... not many people start their cycling experience on a Serotta/Strong/Kirk/etc...

patrick8037
08-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Have fun while you can. I'm a more cynical, bitter person because of working in a bike shop.

biker72
08-17-2011, 05:47 PM
I work in the back office of a bike shop so I rarely deal with customers.
I keep hearing stories of the customer from hell..... :)

The guy you spend 3 hours with selling a $9k bike...brings it back dirty and wants his money back.... :D

fourflys
08-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Have fun while you can. I'm a more cynical, bitter person because of working in a bike shop.

well, like I said, this for experience and enjoyment so the minute it becomes a "job" I'll be gone...

it would be interesting to find out if customers act differently once they progress from buying bikes at a shop like Performance to a more specialized shop... I'm normally a Corpsman (medic), so dealing with people when they are in a bad mood/sick is run of the mill for me...

should be a fun ride in any case...

patrick8037
08-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Take advantage of the discounts while you can.

toaster
08-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Performance stores suck. I'm sure you will make it a better experience for your customers than the managers are trained to do.

firerescuefin
08-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Chris...good luck. Sounds like you have a lot to give and a lot to learn...good combo.

gasman
08-17-2011, 07:12 PM
They are lucky to have you.

Patrick-I'm sorry to hear you have had a lousy experience. The LBS I frequent has a great staff with little turnover. I like them a lot.

lonoeightysix
08-17-2011, 07:39 PM
OP, keep posting with updates, it'll be interesting to read what the corporate LBS experience is like, from the inner bowels, so to speak.

fourflys
08-17-2011, 07:50 PM
OP, keep posting with updates, it'll be interesting to read what the corporate LBS experience is like, from the inner bowels, so to speak.

I will...

I'll have to say, the attitude at the store I work at is pretty good... We have something like 5 stores in the San Diego area and this seems to have the most knowledgeable staff... The corporate outlook seems pretty good, the company stresses putting the right person on the right bike... at least in training and I can't see anything to the contrary either as an employee or a former customer of this location...

and yes, the discounts are pretty good... ;)

Ken Robb
08-17-2011, 09:58 PM
I will...

I'll have to say, the attitude at the I work at is pretty good... We have something like 5 stores in the San Diego area and this seems to have the most knowledgeable staff... The corporate outlook seems pretty good, the company stresses putting the right person on the right bike... at least in training and I can't see anything to the contrary either as an employee or a former customer of this location...

and yes, the discounts are pretty good... ;)
Which store are you in?

fourflys
08-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Which store are you in?

Kearney Mesa...

A1CKot
08-17-2011, 10:02 PM
I worked at a P store a few years back when I was in high school. Just sort of walked in on day and they said something like "you come in here a lot, you want a job."

A few thoughts...

I don't remember any training and it seemed like they flipped the staff every 6 months.

We were pushed to beat other stores numbers in our area in sales and team memberships.

The discounts were really, really good.

Become pals with the best mechanic in case you have any problems and you can get customers bikes maintenance bumped up.

Don't tell any other bike shop that you work at a Performance unless you want to be told that you don't work at a real bike shop.

I was learning how to ride a wheelie in the winter time. Never could hold it from one end of the store to the other.

I can't think of anything else right now but I'm sure I have more. Overall it was a good experience and I was one of top seller for the store. Oh and I got a sweet Waterford R33 at cost... The good years :p.

Louis
08-17-2011, 10:55 PM
Now all you need is a Campy tat and you'll be well on your way to being a crusty LBS owner like Old P.

Good Luck with the work.

fourflys
08-17-2011, 11:05 PM
Now all you need is a Campy tat and you'll be well on your way to being a crusty LBS owner like Old P.

Good Luck with the work.

thanks, I do plan to do something in the industry when I retire from the military... just not sure what yet...

Uncle Jam's Army
08-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Though my experience in bike shops was from 1986 to 1990, it was a blast for me to work there in college around some of the best bikes and equipment around. Still have friends that I worked with or met at that bike shop. Great times.

xjoex
08-18-2011, 07:34 AM
Have fun! I worked in a Performance when I was 16. I stayed working in shops all through the rest of high school and college. Fun places to hand and BS about bikes, which I clearly like since I am on this forum.

Let us know the best bro/pro deal you hook yourself up with.

-Joe

oldpotatoe
08-18-2011, 07:41 AM

I hear ya brother. 99 great customers and your day(s) can be wrecked by one 'interesting' one. Like 3 days ago, LH ERGO OVH, RH shifter was a 10s shimano, with 4mm derailleur housing AND A DERAILLEUR WIRE being used for the rear brake. Yep, you read that right. When gent picked up the bike he was incensed that we changed it. 'He knew what he was doing, did this on purpose cuz the 4mm housing and cable were lighter'.

This is a true story and it still cracks me. The extra $9 on this $124 job made him angry. Many bike shops in Boulder, hope he finds another one to frequent.

xjoex
08-18-2011, 07:53 AM
This is a true story and it still cracks me. The extra $9 on this $124 job made him angry. Many bike shops in Boulder, hope he finds another one to frequent.

Hey is Dwayne wrenching for you guys now? I heard he left BCS. Dwayne knows his way around a bike, plus he's a great guy.

-Joe

oldpotatoe
08-18-2011, 07:58 AM
Hey is Dwayne wrenching for you guys now? I heard he left BCS. Dwayne knows his way around a bike, plus he's a great guy.

-Joe

Part time at a new little shop called LTD Cyclwerx. On East Arapahoe, close to 55th. Between a liquor store and a tattoo parlor...perfect!!

christian
08-18-2011, 08:01 AM
Between a liquor store and a tattoo parlor...perfect!!I would like to meet Dwayne. He seems like my kind of bike wrench!

Gummee
08-18-2011, 08:17 AM
Take advantage of the discounts while you can.+1

Don't buy anything off the floor if you can help it. EP is MUCH better. :nod

M

Gummee
08-18-2011, 08:25 AM
thanks, I do plan to do something in the industry when I retire from the military... just not sure what yet...The bike business is great. Fantastic people (for the most part), great attitudes, low key, etc. BUT...

...there's really not a lot of money in the bike business unless you're last name is Campagnolo or Shimano. You do it because you love it, not because you want to be a millionaire.

I ran store 12 for a while. I had a great crew workin for me. One of the best mechanics I've ever worked with, some of the best FT and PT folks. When I started, it was 30-ish shops that used the same paperwork and sold the same stuff but had some flexibility to tailor the store to their area. They hired some people from Bass Shoes and that went away. Ticked me right off. We had folks coming out from DC to visit us cause took the time to take care of them. That went away. They went away.

Life goes on.

M

oldpotatoe
08-18-2011, 09:08 AM
The bike business is great. Fantastic people (for the most part), great attitudes, low key, etc. BUT...

...there's really not a lot of money in the bike business unless you're last name is Campagnolo or Shimano. You do it because you love it, not because you want to be a millionaire.

I ran store 12 for a while. I had a great crew workin for me. One of the best mechanics I've ever worked with, some of the best FT and PT folks. When I started, it was 30-ish shops that used the same paperwork and sold the same stuff but had some flexibility to tailor the store to their area. They hired some people from Bass Shoes and that went away. Ticked me right off. We had folks coming out from DC to visit us cause took the time to take care of them. That went away. They went away.

Life goes on.

M

It's a labor of like.

How do you make a $1 million in the bike biz? Start with $2 million.......

Climb01742
08-18-2011, 09:31 AM
It's a labor of like.

nice. :D

dana_e
08-18-2011, 09:57 AM
I did sales and mechanic for a bunch of years

I enjoy fitting, now there are some good sites about it if you search

I built a ton of new bikes out of the box.

was interesting

nice to have acecss to cable/housing/tools

biker72
08-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Working at a bike shop as an employee is great. As an owner..probably not. Too many headaches for me.

fourflys
08-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Working at a bike shop as an employee is great. As an owner..probably not. Too many headaches for me.

that's what I'm thinking... would love to find someone's shop to manage a few days a week once I retire... just trying to get my foot in the door right now...

gdw
08-18-2011, 11:00 AM
"He knew what he was doing, did this on purpose cuz the 4mm housing and cable were lighter"

Beware the wrath of weight weenies.
He didn't appreciate your swapping out his carbon brake lever for an alloy one as well. :banana:

TomNguyen
08-18-2011, 11:08 AM
I've been working at a shop for the past three seasons or so. Finally giving that up and getting into internships, but it was a great experience. I met really great people, got great deals on bikes and parts, and got to talk about bikes all day!

oldpotatoe
08-18-2011, 01:39 PM
"He knew what he was doing, did this on purpose cuz the 4mm housing and cable were lighter"

He didn't appreciate your swapping out his carbon brake lever for an alloy one as well. :banana:

Carbon was worn out, aluminum is what we had. 19 grams for the alu lever, 16 grams for the carbon one.

WickedWheels
08-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Part time at a new little shop called LTD Cyclwerx. On East Arapahoe, close to 55th. Between a liquor store and a tattoo parlor...perfect!!

That shop was just started by a couple of really good friends of mine. We used to work together at The Cycle Loft in Boston. They are great guys and know their stuff. I think the shop will do well.

Dekonick
08-20-2011, 08:54 AM

You should have told him to bleed his brake line on his car as 'air' is lighter than fluid...

oldpotatoe
08-20-2011, 08:56 AM
That shop was just started by a couple of really good friends of mine. We used to work together at The Cycle Loft in Boston. They are great guys and know their stuff. I think the shop will do well.

I met Jerry(think that was his name), owner of Cycle Loft when on a boondoggle in Milan for the Italian bike show. 'Interesting' guy.

WickedWheels
08-20-2011, 09:31 AM
I met Jerry(think that was his name), owner of Cycle Loft when on a boondoggle in Milan for the Italian bike show. 'Interesting' guy.

Jerry is a hoot. One of those guys that shakes your hand a little too hard and always looks you straight in the eye, as if he's probing you to find your weak spots. He sold the shop shortly after I left.

oldpotatoe
08-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Jerry is a hoot. One of those guys that shakes your hand a little too hard and always looks you straight in the eye, as if he's probing you to find your weak spots. He sold the shop shortly after I left.

That sums him up.

dd74
08-20-2011, 02:44 PM
I've been thinking about working at a shop as a second career. My LBS has two men in their 50s, both of whom were executives, who quit to work with bikes.

Less money selling bikes, sure, but two very happy guys. Inspiring.

Mud
08-20-2011, 03:07 PM
I am moving so my time in a NJ is at an end. Meet a lot of nice people, some not so nice but I do everything so it is never boring. Don't wrench much anymore though, way too slow for the shop to make money. Prefer buying and phone work. I will probably miss it. Best job ever. Used to be a CFO and have a board. Hate boards, AH's. Down to 12 hrs a week. Just right.

dd74
08-20-2011, 04:16 PM
The guys in the model train shop next door to my LBS seem pretty happy too.

biker72
08-20-2011, 04:38 PM
I've always been amazed at the number of retirees working at bike shops.
Where I work:
One retired lawyer in his 50's
Five over 65 retired from various positions from executive to lab tech.
Also:
One bike builder with a chemical engineering degree.
Four former bike shop owners.

Some part time some full time.

Mud
08-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Eventually high stress jobs are not worth the money IMO. Life is short. :hello:

fourflys
08-20-2011, 05:02 PM
Eventually high stress jobs are not worth the money IMO. Life is short. :hello:

that's why I'm thinking I don't necessarily want to own a shop... ;)

retrogrouchy
08-21-2011, 02:08 PM
It's a labor of like.

How do you make a $1 million in the bike biz? Start with $2 million.......

Oh yeah.... Right on.

It sounds like working in a shop after his CG career would be a good idea, though. He'll be drawing his retirement pay and can still earn income w/o any penalty.

Gotta get at least 20 years in, first, though, and only about 17% of servicemen and servicewomen get that far, service-time-wise. As far as I'm concerned, they deserve every penny they get, though! If we want an all-volunteer service, we need to pay enough so that all positions get (and stay) filled.

retrogrouchy
08-21-2011, 02:12 PM
I've been thinking about working at a shop as a second career. My LBS has two men in their 50s, both of whom were executives, who quit to work with bikes.

Less money selling bikes, sure, but two very happy guys. Inspiring.

Make sure you have a high-incomed significant other, though, if possible. Someone has to pay the bills.... :rolleyes:

tlc4bikes
08-21-2011, 09:01 PM
It isn't work at a bike shop. It is a job. Work has to include sweat and usually allot of it.

fourflys
08-21-2011, 09:33 PM
Gotta get at least 20 years in, first, though, and only about 17% of servicemen and servicewomen get that far, service-time-wise. As far as I'm concerned, they deserve every penny they get, though! If we want an all-volunteer service, we need to pay enough so that all positions get (and stay) filled.

thanks... got 18 years now and planning on doing 30...

Chris

fourflys
08-21-2011, 09:36 PM
so, I met one of my fellow employees today... a nice older French gentleman... turns out he's a former Tour de France rider...

http://www.cyclingarchives.com/coureurfiche.php?coureurid=19550

and yes, it is him.... the pictures look just like him...

so, you never know who might be working at a Performance Bike Shop... :D

retrogrouchy
08-21-2011, 10:04 PM
so, I met one of my fellow employees today... a nice older French gentleman... turns out he's a former Tour de France rider...

so, you never know who might be working at a Performance Bike Shop... :D

Cool! Looking at his palmares, he finished mid-field in the TdF in 1974, and then later was 3rd. in his National Championships in track pursuit (twice). Unusual to see those very different rides from one person, I'd say....

oldpotatoe
08-22-2011, 07:37 AM
Oh yeah.... Right on.

It sounds like working in a shop after his CG career would be a good idea, though. He'll be drawing his retirement pay and can still earn income w/o any penalty.

What I am doing. Retired in 1993 after 20 years of 'haze gray and underway' in USN Aviation as a Fighter Pilot.

Retirement pay and some health care benefits takes the worry out of bike shop employment or ownership(well sorta).

As for 'penalty, I still get income taxed, which I don't get. Kinda like paying myself.

2 years and SS as well, double dipper before SS is history.

fiamme red
08-22-2011, 09:02 AM

so, you never know who might be working at a Performance Bike Shop... :DHe wore shades when very few in the peloton did.

http://www.cyclingarchives.com/beeldfiche.php?beeldid=87163