PDA

View Full Version : OT:Marco's Pizza

SamIAm
08-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Looking for some feedback on Marco's. Apparently it is a pick-up/delivery model. I would think the competitors are Domino, Papa John, Little Caesar's etc.

We don't have many of these yet in the Southeast where I live. Apparently there are a number of them in MIchigan, Ohiio and Indiana.

I have been asked to fund some stores in the Southeast and I was just wondering what fellow forumites had to say about the product.

Not interested in anything other than simply, do they make a quaility product that is distinguished relative to their competitors.

Thanks for any feedback you might have.

93legendti
08-17-2011, 04:04 PM
If they are in Michigan, I haven't heard of them...Domino's and Little Ceasar's are king here

jimcav
08-17-2011, 04:44 PM

We don't have many of these yet in the Southeast where I live. Apparently there are a number of them in MIchigan, Ohiio and Indiana.

I am from indiana and never heard of them, but will be home next week and will look around and try them if they are near my folks!

jim

1centaur
08-17-2011, 05:47 PM
For a better statistical sample than Serotta can offer, Google: "Marco's Pizza Yelp"

I have actually used Yelp to evaluate investments in two restaurant chains lately. It was very helpful. One had tons of incredibly enthusiastic reviews, just beyond belief consistency and number of 5-star reviews, while the other had a lot of "good for what they are" or "average food, terrible service" reviews. The latter really acted as a counterpoint to the investment pitch, which told me what I needed to know about upper mangement.

snah
08-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Indianapolis resident here. Marco's is fairly new here, been about 2 years. Family has had it a number of times, they make a solid pizza, prices comparable to all but Little Greasers, can't compete with $5 pizzas.

Jawn P
08-17-2011, 08:14 PM
If there's anything I know, it's pizza, so hopefully I can help Rob :-)

There's one up the street from me.

Reasonably good for chain pizza, and offers a few more exotic ingredients than your normal chain store (feta cheese, roma tomatos, pepperoni from the stick, jalapeno peppers). Price is competitive, if not lower than Pizza Hut and Dominoes: large 1 topping for 6 bucks, a few good family type meals with pizza, breadsticks and soda for under 20.

I will say one thing I miss every time I go to the south is any sort of good pizza, so may be a good market to tap into. PM me if I can be any more help.

Kevan
08-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Suckas!

retrogrouchy
08-17-2011, 09:46 PM
Suckas!

That reminds me: "New York" pizza is the worst I've ever eaten, and I've eaten it in several eastern states. Just too greasy imo, mostly.

nahtnoj
08-17-2011, 10:10 PM
That reminds me: "New York" pizza is the worst I've ever eaten, and I've eaten it in several eastern states. Just too greasy imo, mostly.

You've developed a taste for a food product that loosely resembles pizza.

nahtnoj
08-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Are there a lot of chain pizza places around you? I think they would do well against that. Against independent places? Perhaps not.

Z3c
08-17-2011, 10:28 PM
There is a Marco's here in Oro Valley. We have ordered from them a few times and IMHO I would say they have a better product than most delivery chains. Not great pizza but clearly better than typical delivery pizza!

Ciao!

retrogrouchy
08-17-2011, 10:32 PM
You've developed a taste for a food product that loosely resembles pizza.

No, I just prefer higher-quality foods. Chicago pizza, for example.

taylorl
08-18-2011, 05:04 AM
There is a Marcos Pizza in the southeast, its located in Warner Robins GA. It's not bad, we actually perfer it to Papa Johns or Pizza Hut.

SamIAm
08-18-2011, 05:31 AM
There is a Marcos Pizza in the southeast, its located in Warner Robins GA. It's not bad, we actually perfer it to Papa Johns or Pizza Hut.

Yes, this is what I have been hearing through other some of my other social networking as well. There is also one right here in Dunwoody, Ga. where I live and I find it better than its competition, just wanted to see what others thoughts were.

christian
08-18-2011, 05:39 AM
Suckas!Kevan, do you prefer Marios, Pizza Station, or the new place by D'Ag? I'm a pretty loyal Marios eater, but I find their pasta to be superior to their Pizza. Any places in P'ville or Mt. K that are not to be missed?

Climb01742
08-18-2011, 05:55 AM
it would be interesting if someone could do for pizza what chipotle has done for tex-mex.

christian
08-18-2011, 06:26 AM
Dear Climb-o. I believe what you refer to already exists. Dominos.

Kevan
08-18-2011, 07:09 AM
Kevan, do you prefer Marios, Pizza Station, or the new place by D'Ag? I'm a pretty loyal Marios eater, but I find their pasta to be superior to their Pizza. Any places in P'ville or Mt. K that are not to be missed?

Christian,

Try A'Mangiare's in Pleasantville. Get the pizza as you like (my preference: artichoke and asparagus), but make sure you ask for the thin sesame crust. The bottom of the pie is encrusted with the seeds and the flavor is dayyam awesome. Typically my wife and I will do a movie at the Burns and then rush up there for a later dinner sharing a pie and appetizer of their bruschetta, which is also to die for. Also like Marcello's in Mt. Kisco for street-style slices.

dekindy
08-18-2011, 07:40 AM
I happened to see one in Noblesville, Indiana on the way home from my Tuesday evening bike ride and only vaguely remember hearing of them priot to that, never eaten there. It was in a strip mall and seemed to have a tiny presence so it was my impression that there was not a dine-in option.

LaRosa's is in the Cincinnati/Dayton Ohio area and their pizza and food is outstanding. I worked as a financial planner for a CPA firm there. One of our clients had a delivery/pickup only location. It happened to be between the office and the place I was staying. We usually went there for lunch each week and I would also pick up LaRosa's on the way from work one evening a week, I was out of town and eating all meals out. I don't know if they would offer you a franchise at your location but it was really flavorful food.

OTOH, we had a Papa John's delivery pizza the other evening as a change of pace, and it was outstanding.

Climb01742
08-18-2011, 08:16 AM

christian, i've never been to dominos, so i don't know how good their pizza is. but i've become addicted to chipotle, and their approach is noticeably different to 99% of the fast food places i've ever been to. they've raised the game on many fronts. if dominos has done that, then i should check them out.

JMerring
08-18-2011, 08:22 AM
I will say one thing I miss every time I go to the south is any sort of good pizza, so may be a good market to tap into. PM me if I can be any more help.

if you are ever in atlanta, try varasanos. not take out, but possibly one of the best pizza joints in the entire united states.

christian
08-18-2011, 08:22 AM
No, I more meant that as Dominos is a poor, cut-rate facsimile of, say, Grimaldis, Chipotle is the analogue for Tex-Mex food.

Sure, compared to corporate parent Maccers, Chipotle is pretty good, but it is ultimately pretty bland, surprisingly unhealthful, fast food. (But I think we can agree to disagree on this point.)

You should definitely not check out Dominos. It's horrid.

Climb01742
08-18-2011, 08:29 AM
No, I more meant that as Dominos is a poor, cut-rate facsimile of, say, Grimaldis, Chipotle is the analogue for Tex-Mex food.

Sure, compared to corporate parent Maccers, Chipotle is pretty good, but it is ultimately pretty bland, surprisingly unhealthful, fast food. (But I think we can agree to disagree on this point.)

You should definitely not check out Dominos. It's horrid.

we don't disagree. there is much room for improvement. but i think chipotle is a step in the right direction, particularly if you look at their entire approach, from food to design and materials. and yes, if you don't build your burrito wisely, it can be a caloric titanic. but on the nights when the mrs and i are beat, it ain't half bad. :beer:

majorpat
08-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Chain store pizza...sad, really. Just remember there's a reason NOT to order the salmon at Denny's.

bike22
08-18-2011, 01:26 PM
where is there a chipolte anywhere near concord?

there isn't must chain pizza here in the northeast, boston area. i'm in the city so i'm not familiar with the scene in the suburbs, so i'd recommend trying the northeast as a market.

William
08-18-2011, 01:41 PM

there isn't must chain pizza here in the northeast, boston area. i'm in the city so i'm not familiar with the scene in the suburbs, so i'd recommend trying the northeast as a market.

Chipotle mass..... (http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=chipotle+massachusetts&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=chipotle+massachusetts&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivnscm&source=univ&tbm=plcs&tbo=u&ei=rFxNTpXFIcnC0AGXw6mLBw&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=2&ved=0CD8QtQMwAQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=3a5084e33d52c842&biw=1920&bih=977)

William

Climb01742
08-18-2011, 01:44 PM

not exactly 'near' (though one is opening soon in burlington). we go to the one in woburn or the one in newton when other things take us near those locations. if we lived in cali or texas, chipotle wouldn't hold much allure...but NE ain't cali. ;)

William
08-18-2011, 01:47 PM
not exactly 'near' (though one is opening soon in burlington). we go to the one in woburn or the one in newton when other things take us near those locations. if we lived in cali or texas, chipotle wouldn't hold much allure...but NE ain't cali. ;)

There is no "real" mex like Tex or the West coast here in NE. Chipotle works in a pinch.

William

torquer
08-18-2011, 04:22 PM
That is cold!
The common theme here (mexican food and pizza) is that some regions are luckier than others: New York has good pizza, California has good mexican food, and if you want either anywhere else, you're taking a big risk. Same can probably be said of barbeque anywhere other than (name your preference) Memphis/Texas/Carolinas.
Chipotle, BTW, is no longer owned by McD's. They bought a big stake in the 90's, but lost interest for some reason. And Chipotle is much better than ANY chain pizza I've ever had.

dekindy
02-28-2012, 12:51 PM
I remembered you asked about this awhile back but I don't know if you still want feedback; but here is what my son's special education class teacher had to say about a local store:

We had lunch at Marco’s and I wanted to let you all know how great they were to us. They gave us a great deal on the pizza and then gave us discounted drinks, free crazy bread and free cinnamon sticks! They were very generous and it was a great surprise! It cost $3.00 for each student.

Louis
02-28-2012, 01:01 PM
We had lunch at Marco’s and I wanted to let you all know how great they were to us. They gave us a great deal on the pizza and then gave us discounted drinks, free crazy bread and free cinnamon sticks! They were very generous and it was a great surprise! It cost $3.00 for each student.

So if you're a potential investor is this sort of thing good or bad? You wouldn't want them to be giving away too much pizza...

buldogge
02-28-2012, 01:46 PM
I thought I heard there were some Taquerias in East Boston now??? ...definitely some in New Haven, no???

-Mark in St. Louis

There is no "real" mex like Tex or the West coast here in NE. Chipotle works in a pinch.

William

buldogge
02-28-2012, 01:52 PM
I think this has changed (at least in urban areas) over the last 10 years or so. Here is St. Louis we have both excellent pizza (not STL style!) and mexican...not on the scale of either NYC or LA of course.

The #1 wise choice you can make (as a diner) is avoiding chains of either type, not commenting on an investment in suburban locations as the OP is referring to, of course.

-Mark in St. Louis

That is cold!
The common theme here (mexican food and pizza) is that some regions are luckier than others: New York has good pizza, California has good mexican food, and if you want either anywhere else, you're taking a big risk. Same can probably be said of barbeque anywhere other than (name your preference) Memphis/Texas/Carolinas.
Chipotle, BTW, is no longer owned by McD's. They bought a big stake in the 90's, but lost interest for some reason. And Chipotle is much better than ANY chain pizza I've ever had.

Fixed
02-28-2012, 02:00 PM
anglos was rocking after the letterman show
cheers imho :beer: