PDA

View Full Version : lugged steel headset fittment

shankldu
08-17-2011, 10:43 AM
Ok i have a vintage basso frame and i went to put in an impact brand 1 inch headset and its loose,slides in without being pressed is there a peticular brand i should use for an italian frame like this .

ultraman6970
08-17-2011, 10:59 AM
1st thing u have to do is to measure the Inside diameter of that head tube. No idea how old the frame is but my guess is that U need a an italian or an ISO standard headset, eve tho probably a JIS will work also but that depends of the fork crown race area.

Measure the fork race area too, u need those two to find a headset. Hope you have a caliper, because u need those measurements.

If the frame is too old and since some owners change headsets like if it was underwear, the last possibility is that the headtube is worn out and now is too big of any headset, in those cases u can get an oversize chriss king headset, kinda create indentations in the ID of the tube using a chizel and a hammer or something or use paint (white out), let it cure really well, and then put the cups in, as long as u dont get crazy taking the headset out every month the bike should be fine, the last is the cheapest one, other people use coke can sleeves too. Personally when i get a frame i get a headset and then the headset it will be there forever, i even try to sell the frames with the headsets just because i f... CARE! about the stuff.

Good luck :)

bike22
08-17-2011, 05:56 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=94990

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=95003

retrogrouchy
08-17-2011, 10:03 PM
As has already been 'splained, there are 1" threaded headsets with a 30.2 mm O.D. lower head cup and upper head cone (all high-quality JIS-spec. ones), and then there are headsets where those two parts are 30.0 mm O.D. (ISO-spec. headsets).

For your Basso, you need one that is 30.2 mm in those areas (and almost certainly have tried one that is 30.0 mm, and doesn't work). Capiche? :cool:

christian
08-18-2011, 05:32 AM
No. ISO is 30.2 and JIS is 30.0. Shankldu should buy some calipers, clearly.

retrogrouchy
08-21-2011, 03:04 PM
No. ISO is 30.2 and JIS is 30.0. Shankldu should buy some calipers, clearly.

No, as I said, ISO is 30.0 and high-quality JIS is 30.2 mm. This is stated in Sutherland's Manual (for example). His vintage Basso needs 30.2 mm O.D. head fittings.

Where do you see otherwise?