PDA

View Full Version : Low count + high tension spokes = really crooked wheel

Keith A
08-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Had a front spoke break on my Dura-Ace 7850-SL wheel this morning and the wheel went really out of true. So much so that it was hitting the fork and I couldn't ride or even push the bike...so I had a long walk this morning back to the office :crap:

Ken Robb
08-17-2011, 09:35 AM
This is no surprise but I also wonder once a wheel goes out-of-true by more than a little bit can it ever be re-trued to be as strong/good as new?

Chance
08-17-2011, 09:40 AM
Can be a lot of fun when it happens at 40 MPH or in middle of tight turn. Carrying a spoke wrench can sometimes save you a little walking.

Keith A
08-17-2011, 09:42 AM
Ken -- I sure hope so. BTW, in all my years of riding (probably around 100K miles), I have only broken three spokes and two of those were on a low spoke count wheel. The other two were on a Rolf Vector Pro (rear) and a Mavic Open Pro 32 spoke count. The great thing about the regular wheels that I could still ride it with a broken spoke.

Chance
08-17-2011, 09:42 AM
This is no surprise but I also wonder once a wheel goes out-of-true by more than a little bit can it ever be re-trued to be as strong/good as new?
Why not if rim or hub is not permanently deformed.

Keith A
08-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Chance - I was actually doing hill repeats and was really glad that it broke going slow up hill instead of 35 mph down the other side. I did have a spoke wrench with me, but it was the wrong size for these spokes :crap:

ultraman6970
08-17-2011, 11:13 AM
:X darn...

Pete Serotta
08-17-2011, 11:57 AM
glad it was going up hill. :D

PETE

Peter P.
08-17-2011, 06:21 PM
That is a severe drawback of either carbon forks or low spoke count wheels.

Carbon forks offer less clearance than steel so if you break a spoke and the wheel rubs it's quite possible even kludging the wheel with a spoke wrench won't get you home.

With low spoke count wheels, if you break a spoke the wheel tends to go out of true laterally much more than a traditional spoked wheel.

I say if you can't ride the bike home with a broken spoke, the frame is poorly designed.

Keith A
08-17-2011, 06:24 PM
<snip>
I say if you can't ride the bike home with a broken spoke, the frame is poorly designed.I'll be sure and pass this on to Ernesto the next time I see him :rolleyes:

Kontact
08-17-2011, 06:51 PM
The fiberfix spoke gizmo really makes sense with these sort of wheels - if you don't have a proprietary nipple.