PDA

View Full Version : OT: Personal Appearance for an Interview

Nooch
08-17-2011, 09:11 AM
So I landed an interview for a position that I'm extremely well suited for, but the interview process always has me a bit nervous. Picked up a new white shirt and new tie for the occasion, but I have a bit of an issue/question about what to do with my hair (laughable) and beard.

So here's where it stands right now: I shave my head with a clippers with no guard, cheaper than buying new razors to bic it, and since I'm blonde there's no real evidence of stubble. Typically I do the same with my face, although my beard grows in darker and red, so it looks a little like a 12 o'clock shaddow after a fresh trim (not too scruffy like a 5 o'clock shaddow, but enough to be visible). I've recently let the beard grow as the weather is getting cooler and it's more comfortable riding -- not overgrown, mind you, but about two weeks growth, and have continued shaving my head.

So I have a few options as far as the interview goes. Shave everything down with a manual razor, take my head down with the trimmer and the face with the manual razor, or do my usual with just the trimmer. I'm okay with shedding the beard, I can grow it back after I get the job. I just don't want to give them the impression that I'm cleanly shaved to skin every day, as I usually have some bit of stubble.

Thoughts? First interview in a very long while... Don't want to screw it up over something silly.

rugbysecondrow
08-17-2011, 09:14 AM
I think we need a photo.

I tend to think shave the beard, whatever makes you look neat and tidy.

MattTuck
08-17-2011, 09:17 AM
This thread is useless without pictures.

What type of job is it? industry? what are the industry trends?

I think your default should be to look as clean and professional as possible, unless the job is at a tattoo parlor or strip club. If the beard looks professional, I think it would be ok to keep. Some of the places my friends work have a 'no stubble' policy... you can either be shaved or have a beard, but can't have stubble.

My advice: Clippers on hair, or leave hair as is, if it looks good, and shaved face.

Again, industry/company norms may allow more lattitude.

zap
08-17-2011, 09:19 AM
If in doubt, clean shave. You should focus during the interview, not worry about your appearance.

Aaron O
08-17-2011, 09:22 AM
I have facial hair and also shave my head (I'm balding, and that's a fight better surrendered) and go through the same dilemna when interviewing. One general guideline is to try and look what the people who work there look like. Companies take on the personality of management, so if you can try and present yourself as fitting into the culture, even visually, that's probably a good thing. As far as shaving my face, I have two thought patterns on this:

1. No facial hair is neutral and WON'T cause a reaction while facial hair MIGHT be a negative.

2. The problem with the above is that people are usually annoyed when they hire someone who presents themself one way and then lets facial hair grow. It's seen as bait and switch.

Given the above, I usually go honest. I interview as I would show up - with a neatly trimmed goatee. I think I'm strong enough in interviews to overcome it if it's a disadvantage and I also probably wouldn't fit in well with a place that would be that petty. While not thinking appearance counts is naive, I still think a strong interview is going to count a lot more.

Nooch
08-17-2011, 09:23 AM
as much as I hate doing this...

Here's a pic after a fresh trim, top and face, no guard. And another as it currently stands, bearded. I don't want to do the bait and switch -- it is a corporate job, in my field, for a major luxury auto manufacturer.

eddief
08-17-2011, 09:26 AM
look at how well this guy did. i think your first photo looks fine for all but the most conservative places. question is are you ready to kick ass with how your experience and accomplishments meet or exceed requirements. if yes, your appearance won't be an issue. if no, it won't be your appearance that is the problem.

sc53
08-17-2011, 09:29 AM
Whatever you do, no "soul patch!"

Edit: just saw your photo, recommend you lose the stubble. I would do the hair in photo 2 and the face in photo 1.

rugbysecondrow
08-17-2011, 09:29 AM

Here's a pic after a fresh trim, top and face, no guard. And another as it currently stands, bearded. I don't want to do the bait and switch -- it is a corporate job, in my field, for a major luxury auto manufacturer.

Shave the face smooth.

JMerring
08-17-2011, 09:30 AM
unless you know the company's culture (well) or have a proper beard, the default should always be to shave your face cleanly. doing so will not harm your chances, while not doing so might. if you want the job, put your best face forward (and i'm not in any way suggesting there's anything at all wrong with your stubbled face).

biker72
08-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Shave the face smooth.
+1

echelon_john
08-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Hi Drew,
Industry is everything. If you were going into a technology company you'd be fine as pictured (minus the tux!) but a bank would be a different story.

my gut instinct is that if you're dressed well and look 'purposeful'; i.e. not just like you forgot to shave, you'll be good.

tell us more about the role?

SoCalSteve
08-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Shave the face! Grow it back another time if you feel the need.

flydhest
08-17-2011, 09:34 AM
No question. Shave the face. I do a lot of hiring and constantly remind myself not to let appearances affect my ultimate assessment. I suspect not everyone is as vigilant in self policing, I suspect I am not completely successful, I suspect there might be a reason to put weight on how someone presents themselves.

Nooch
08-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Whatever you do, no "soul patch!"

Edit: just saw your photo, recommend you lose the stubble. I would do the hair in photo 2 and the face in photo 1.

Hair is on about 4 days growth right now, so it'll be shorter assuming I trim it tonight (more like photo 1) -- I typically take it down once weekly, any longer and it's apparent how bad the horseshoe is getting on top of the 'ole dome.

I was leaning toward photo 1, but with the razor on the face, which I think is more or less the consensus. Feel free to let the votes pour in, though.

Kevan
08-17-2011, 09:35 AM
In today's age, represent yourself honestly. If it is a sales position, you might have to totally clean up your act. If it's an in-the-office type job and you know their culture, and you feel you fit it, then stay on course as you is. Suiting up is expected for some job interviews, but I would avoid a complete overhaul unless you're willing to keep going with it.

I like to think I know who I've hired and if a new employee appears days later sprouting a new beard or brings on other changes, I begin to wonder what's coming next. My 2 cents.

christian
08-17-2011, 09:37 AM
Trim the top, shave the face.

Don't worry about the "bait and switch" as you call it. Worry about getting the job.

Seramount
08-17-2011, 09:45 AM
beards are so last-century.

lose it.

eltonbalch
08-17-2011, 10:21 AM
I spent my entire career in recruitment/personnel/placement/employe testing. I have conducted dozens of direct interviews myself and had oversight of (literally) thousands of structured panel interviews. Here are the tried and true basics:

1. You are safest with no facial hair.
2. Know the job/company inside out before you show up.
3. Have structured answers prepared in advance to "basic" open ended questions like "what do you bring to our company", "What are your strengths/weaknesses", etc. Rehearse the answers you develop.
4. Google "interviews with X company"; you'll be surprised what you may come up with.
5. Talk to yourself (yes--out loud) on the way to the interview. It's like warming up before a bike ride :-)).
6. BE YOURSELF!! You are going in with nothing so you have nothing to lose. A good interviewer can spot a pretender very quickly.
7. Remember that YOU are interviewing Them as well. Trust me--if it isn't a good fit, more money won't make it better.
8. Most important of all (and yes I'm repeating myself) BE YOURSELF!!

Good luck!!!

rugbysecondrow
08-17-2011, 10:35 AM
I saw the shave it all poll numbers and i was a little surprised. Anecdotally, I think the shaved has draws a negative response, especially from minorities, more specifically black people, even more specific black women. I have no data, no research or anything, just my own experience and conversations, it congers up images of white supremacists or skin heads.

Anyway, just an FYI.

Nooch
08-17-2011, 10:44 AM
I saw the shave it all poll numbers and i was a little surprised. Anecdotally, I think the shaved has draws a negative response, especially from minorities, more specifically black people, even more specific black women. I have no data, no research or anything, just my own experience and conversations, it congers up images of white supremacists or skin heads.

Anyway, just an FYI.

Trust me, I don't wish to be this pale and balding since I was 23, but alas, it was the hand I was dealt. Figured I'd deal with it with dignity rather than combing over, and trying to delay the inevitable just costs too much damn money... Add the fact that I have tattoos and well, lets just say I've heard this before. (my 84-year-old grandmother tells me to grow my hair... regardless of how many times I explain to her that I *can't*.)

bobswire
08-17-2011, 10:45 AM
It worked for me.
http://i53.tinypic.com/29yp4bs.jpg

rugbysecondrow
08-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Trust me, I don't wish to be this pale and balding since I was 23, but alas, it was the hand I was dealt. Figured I'd deal with it with dignity rather than combing over, and trying to delay the inevitable just costs too much damn money... Add the fact that I have tattoos and well, lets just say I've heard this before. (my 84-year-old grandmother tells me to grow my hair... regardless of how many times I explain to her that I *can't*.)

Understood. It looked like you might be balding, I was speaking directly to the shaved head votes. It is your hand to play, I just thought I would bring to light some of the prejudgements that accompany such a style.

Best of luck with the interview
Paul

Aaron O
08-17-2011, 10:48 AM

Anyway, just an FYI.

Funny story...

As said ealrier, I'm bald/shaved head with a goatee. I also enter the office wearing cycling shoes, before switching into a pair of loafers under the desk. Anyway, a few years ago I was introduced by a co-worker to a new employee I didn't know well. We became friendly and he confided in me that he was initially terrified of me because he thought I was a skinhead.

Apparently he saw me in some cycling shoes, which had red laces. I had no idea, but red laces are somehow associated with skinheadism. I also happened to have been having a loud debate/discussion about WW2 once while he was walking by.

He was very surprised to learn I'm Jewish and fairly moderate politically :)

rugbysecondrow
08-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Funny story...

As said ealrier, I'm bald/shaved head with a goatee. I also enter the office wearing cycling shoes, before switching into a pair of loafers under the desk. Anyway, a few years ago I was introduced by a co-worker to a new employee I didn't know well. We became friendly and he confided in me that he was initially terrified of me because he thought I was a skinhead.

Apparently he saw me in some cycling shoes, which had red laces. I had no idea, but red laces are somehow associated with skinheadism. I also happened to have been having a loud debate/discussion about WW2 once while he was walking by.

He was very surprised to learn I'm Jewish and fairly moderate politically :)

It is not something discussed or even present for many of us, but for some people it really jumps off the page. Anyway, I was drawing no conclusions about the OP, just an FYI.

Idris Icabod
08-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Just so you don't feel unloved, I like your look with the beard best. But then I work in research for a large pharma company and we are the scruffiest bunch around.

FlashUNC
08-17-2011, 10:56 AM
I think if the beard's trimmed and well-maintained going into the interview its not a negative.

I'm of the mind that if they don't hire you over something like that, then it could be the kind of place that has a miserable work environment.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, as long as it appears you've groomed it and not gone all Grizzly Adams or ZZ Top.

flydhest
08-17-2011, 10:58 AM

Anyway, just an FYI.

Accurate assessment, in my view. I revel in it sometimes. I do shave my head every so often and the people who don't realize who I am and how senior I am react at first. I like hearing stories about them finding out later who I am.

William
08-17-2011, 11:01 AM

Anyway, just an FYI.

I understand that possible reaction, but frankly I get more responses by people who think I'm in LE, specifically State Police.

William

Nooch
08-17-2011, 12:13 PM
I understand that possible reaction, but frankly I get more responses by people who think I'm in LE, specifically State Police.

William

You're also one of those "vertically gifted" people, right? I think that helps sway in one direction rather than the other. Only people who would think I were in LE would be people that thought I was because I was making up for something...

On topic, though, my only concern about going in with a straight shaved face is that it's not an accurate portrayal, but rather my best foot forward. I only touch a razor for my legs -- everything else is strictly trimmer length, which isn't long by any stretch, or sloppy, but still a little noticable.

Bradford
08-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Be yourself.

It is always better to loose an offer than to be part of a company where you don't fit in. If you are a stubble kind of guy, you won't be happy in a smooth shave office. I have always been a bit perplexed by the change to get the job approach. I care about finding a job where I like the people and the work; the best way to do that is to be willing to loose an offer because you are not a good fit. It is a lot less traumatic than loosing a job 6 months down the road.

If you are indifferent to the stubble, shave it smooth and plan to keep it that way. In a professional environment, stubble doesn't go over all that well. (On the face that is...I think the stubbly head look has become accepted in most professional offices).

JeffS
08-17-2011, 12:34 PM
I say take a razor to the face and don't touch the head.

William
08-17-2011, 01:19 PM
You're also one of those "vertically gifted" people, right? I think that helps sway in one direction rather than the other.

Tis true, I did get a little extra in the height dept.

I say: be yourself. :)

William

Charles M
08-17-2011, 03:40 PM

Your top pic is no go. your bottom pic is fine if it's a german manufacturer and you're getting an engineering position or will run a department...

But in this day and age, make the full commitment in everything you do going for a job... Don't get any place close to an appearance that you dont care. While shaving both slick takes effort and looks like it, a stubble head and/or face is the appearance of being slack to some people.

Do you want to shoot the dice that your interviewer is one of those people?

Tom
08-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Get a bunch of colored laundry markers and go nuts. They'll have to hire somebody with the nerve to do that.

rwsaunders
08-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Unless you're tan right now, ditch the white shirt and go blue. It will make you look healthier...think newscaster on tv.

Other than that, do some serious homework on the company and the position. Research their annual report and find out if the CEO has any propaganda on the web that indicates his plan for the firm.

Hawker
08-17-2011, 04:20 PM
Just don't go "Clinger". No facial tatoos.

godfrey1112000
08-17-2011, 05:20 PM
+1

+1+1+1

You get one chance to make a first impression unless you have unlimited unemployment benefits

biker72
08-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Unless you're tan right now, ditch the white shirt and go blue. It will make you look healthier...think newscaster on tv.

Other than that, do some serious homework on the company and the position. Research their annual report and find out if the CEO has any propaganda on the web that indicates his plan for the firm.
+1
Very good advice.

Nooch
08-17-2011, 09:09 PM
+1
Very good advice.

Tan... Ha... But yes, I'll eyeball some french blue shirts.

As for unemployment benefits, I'm currently gainfully employed -- I'm working on making a career move for the better, if at all possible.

Cat3roadracer
08-17-2011, 09:43 PM
This is interesting. I manage a portion of a software company and we get all sorts in for interviews. A neat appearance is good, but being prepared, with research done, is more important. Be ready to ask them questions, stimulate conversation. Personality is most important. Leave the hoodie behind. (yes, someone came in for an interview a week ago in a shirt, tie, and a hoodie.)

They will want to make sure that you will fit into their culture, whatever that may be. If you are willing to learn and are trainable, tats and piercings will not be so bad, if you are writing code in a dark cubicle.

Good luck, and be yourself. That is all that matters. If the first one does not hit, you have more days to ride. One will hit sooner or later, it you really want it to.

Nooch
08-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Thanks for all the advice, guys. For what it's worth I think it went well. More conversative than anything, even got to talk about cycling and exercise. Wrapped up with "It's been a pleasure meeting you. Of course we're interviewing other candidates for the position, we're looking to make a decision in the next few weeks, and when we do we'll be in touch with you."

So I like to take that as a positive finishing statement by the interviewer..

Final choice for hair, btw, was the beard shaved to skin, and the top where it was in the second picture, give or take, as seen below.

eddief
08-19-2011, 10:47 AM
thanking them for the interview, pointing out their needs as you understand them, giving them substantial evidence that you both have the experience to solve their problems and possible ways in which you would attack the ones most pressing in the first 90 days of your employment.

just a suggestion.

eltonbalch
08-19-2011, 11:06 AM
thanking them for the interview, pointing out their needs as you understand them, giving them substantial evidence that you both have the experience to solve their problems and possible ways in which you would attack the ones most pressing in the first 90 days of your employment.

just a suggestion.

The OP will have the best feeling for how wise that might be but my take (based on experience) is that any letter that tries to add information will probably never reach the actual decision maker and makes it look like you are trying to add things you forgot to say in your interview. A simple "thanks and I'm interested" is plenty IMHO.

eddief
08-19-2011, 11:09 AM
in this very easy job market there is really no reason to attempt to distinguish yourself from the other 25 people the manager will be interviewing.

and since he now has the false optimism of the world's most standard brush off closing line at an interview, why would he want to go the extra mile?

"It's been a pleasure meeting you. Of course we're interviewing other candidates for the position, we're looking to make a decision in the next few weeks, and when we do we'll be in touch with you."

i stand corrected.

The OP will have the best feeling for how wise that might be but my take (based on experience) is that any letter that tries to add information will probably never reach the actual decision maker and makes it look like you are trying to add things you forgot to say in your interview. A simple "thanks and I'm interested" is plenty IMHO.

Aaron O
08-19-2011, 11:55 AM
My experience with jobs and the interview process is that it's better to be overly aggressive than too passive. I have done well with follow up calls, follow up letters and actively and aggressively pursuing a committment from the employer. It's just too easy to be over looked, especially with PILES of resumes. I'd rather run the risk of being overly aggressive in calling attention to mine when compared with the odds of seeing it buried in a pile.

Nooch
08-19-2011, 12:19 PM
oof on the false optimism!

I'm optimistic because the interview went well. I had questions, I had answers, we connected on common interests as people let alone employee/employer, much, as I feel, is the relationship she has with her team. I interviewed with who would be my direct supervisor, and did send a follow up letter thanking her and enforcing points made. I believe the fact that I'm experienced in the field, whereas none of the other team members were before she trained them, may either bode well for me or against me. Perhaps she wants someone she can mold from scratch and prefers that, if that's the case then it doesn't matter how well qualified I am.

The fact that she discussed distribution of some of her work with me, because of my experience, I believe points in a positive direction.

rwsaunders
08-19-2011, 12:51 PM
You'll land it Nooch...eyes on the ball with a steady swing.

In the meantime, enjoy my favorite "interview" commercial...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMe3WDmxBEI