PDA

View Full Version : Bridgestone RB-1 model years

stephenmarklay
08-17-2011, 01:41 AM
I have been kind of poking around and thinking of picking up one of these retro racers and wondered if there were any experts in the house.

I noticed that they had some changes over the years, geometry seemed to change in later years and a lot different spec. Maybe the early ones being more of a road racer and later road sport(ish).

Thoughts?

sailorboy
08-17-2011, 01:49 AM
Sheldon Brown archived this stuff for questions just like yours.

Try mining this for a while and then see if you have any more questions. :hello:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/

I've had a yellow 93 road frame in the past and about to build up another one in red as a fendered commuter. Best year of the crop IMO.

veloduffer
08-17-2011, 05:14 AM
'93 was the best year IMHO. It had quadruple butted Ishiwata tubing and great Ritchey fork crown. At the time it was my dream bike (until I got my own Sachs) and it really rode beautifully. I was partial to the yellow version.

Peter P.
08-17-2011, 06:25 AM
The geometry never changed, at least not enough to change the bike's classification from say, a road racing bike to sport tourer. The big leaps were from lugged to TIG welding (the latest years were TIG'd, no?), the Ritchey crowned fork, and the change in rear end spacing from 126-130mm. I don't think the tubing changes affect the end product to any appreciable degree.

goonster
08-17-2011, 07:09 AM
the latest years were TIG'd, no?
Heck, no.

Perhaps you're thinking of some of the MTB's.

stephenmarklay
08-17-2011, 07:29 AM
If you compare the frame geometry from the 1989 brochure to the 1192 brochure I think you will see that they did vary. For instance the 59cm frame TT cc measurement went from 57 to 58.5 the chainstay decreased by 5mm. Now I totally agree with your assessment however.

I big difference I found reading through is that at some point they added the 57.5 size which is perfect for me.

The geometry never changed, at least not enough to change the bike's classification from say, a road racing bike to sport tourer. The big leaps were from lugged to TIG welding (the latest years were TIG'd, no?), the Ritchey crowned fork, and the change in rear end spacing from 126-130mm. I don't think the tubing changes affect the end product to any appreciable degree.

christian
08-17-2011, 07:31 AM
I know that size was in the catalog, but I wonder if it actually ever did ship... I've only ever seen 56 and 59 RB-1s.

stephenmarklay
08-17-2011, 07:45 AM
I know that size was in the catalog, but I wonder if it actually ever did ship... I've only ever seen 56 and 59 RB-1s.

Interesting, no clue. I would may the 59 work however.

Frankwurst
08-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Unless I'm mistaken they were measured from C/T. They did indeed ship the 57.5. I have a 1993 RB 1/8 in that size. Maybe I need to get off my butt and build it up and see if they really ride as nice as everyone claims. :beer:

fourflys
08-17-2011, 09:13 AM
if you read some of the Grant Peterson interviews, it sounds like the best year would be around '91 before he had to start cutting costs in both componentry and frame construction...

stephenmarklay
08-17-2011, 09:18 AM
Unless I'm mistaken they were measured from C/T. They did indeed ship the 57.5. I have a 1993 RB 1/8 in that size. Maybe I need to get off my butt and build it up and see if they really ride as nice as everyone claims. :beer:

Or just do the right thing and ship it to me :)

stephenmarklay
08-17-2011, 09:19 AM
if you read some of the Grant Peterson interviews, it sounds like the best year would be around '91 before he had to start cutting costs in both componentry and frame construction...

That is the kind of good info I was looking for.

goonster
08-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Componentry is moot, imo, since few OEM bits would remain on a bike ridden today.

I've also heard that the level of work on the older frames is better, but haven't seen anything to substantiate that. Certainly, the later frames looked great "on paper" with their fancy tubing and fork crowns.

Marcusaurelius
08-17-2011, 06:59 PM
The 1993 RB 1 was the my favourite. I thought the yellow paint scheme was great. As mentioned previously it was also had ishiwata tubeset and ishiwata fork cromo cast crown. Very nice. Bikes went to double butted tange in 1994 and a plain fork. A big step down.

The geometry did change a bit from previous years. The 1990's geometry worked best for me.

mgd
08-17-2011, 07:06 PM
The 1993 RB 1 was the my favourite. I thought the yellow paint scheme was great. As mentioned previously it was also had ishiwata tubeset and ritchey fork. Very nice. Bikes went to double butted tange in 1994 and a plain fork. A big step down.

The geometry did change a bit from previous years. The 1990's geometry worked best for me.

the 94 had the same tr crown as the 93.

Marcusaurelius
08-17-2011, 11:26 PM
the 94 had the same tr crown as the 93.

The 1993 had cast crown with ishiwata 019E blades while the 1994 had pressed crown and cromo blades.

fourflys
08-17-2011, 11:55 PM
there is a group on facebook that should be able to answer any of your questions...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/115022193344/

sjpitts
08-18-2011, 12:02 AM
MY 57.5cm 92 RB1

When I first got it. Before I got rid of that ugly seat . . .

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt327/oldarizona/Bridgestone%20RB1/DSC_0861Large.jpg

fourflys
08-18-2011, 12:06 AM
^^ sweet bike... I'd love to have one of those one day... I have a Mile112 now...

question- do you find you ride the same size RB1 as any other road bike, or do you size up ala current RBW/Grant sizing?

sjpitts
08-18-2011, 12:09 AM
^^ sweet bike... I'd love to have one of those one day... I have a Mile112 now...

question- do you find you ride the same size RB1 as any other road bike, or do you size up ala current RBW/Grant sizing?

It is sized like my Lemond. Long top tube. At least compared to be 88 Paramount. I need a shorter stem for it.

fourflys
08-18-2011, 12:12 AM
It is sized like my Lemond. Long top tube. At least compared to be 88 Paramount. I need a shorter stem for it.

cool, thanks... good to know for the future...

sjpitts
08-18-2011, 12:18 AM
cool, thanks... good to know for the future...

As was noted above, Sheldon Brown's website has the Bridgestone Catalogs. Those catalogs have the component list and geometry chart for each year.

One interesting thing-- in the 92 catalog description of the RB1 they specifically calls out the use of the single pull DiaComp brakes compared to the "heavier" (their words) dual-pivot sidepulls.

But then in 93 those RB1's come with those supposedly inferior dual-pivot brakes.

I wonder if Grant really changed his mind on the brakes, or was forced to change for other reasons. . . .

stephenmarklay
08-18-2011, 02:51 AM
He made the same comments about the 93 8'speed :)

As was noted above, Sheldon Brown's website has the Bridgestone Catalogs. Those catalogs have the component list and geometry chart for each year.

One interesting thing-- in the 92 catalog description of the RB1 they specifically calls out the use of the single pull DiaComp brakes compared to the "heavier" (their words) dual-pivot sidepulls.

But then in 93 those RB1's come with those supposedly inferior dual-pivot brakes.

I wonder if Grant really changed his mind on the brakes, or was forced to change for other reasons. . . .

picstloup
08-18-2011, 04:21 AM
almost bought a 92 rb-1 in yellow and white made of the ishiwata tubing...at the last moment my sales guy showed me a red columbus sl Tommaso, test rode both, walked out with the Tommaso and 7 speed ultegra 600...

then at the tail end of 93 maybe early 94 i priced the rb-1 again in Manhattan NY where i lived at the time...regular price $1480, sale price $1375 for the 8 speed with brifters...walked away again...

bought a 94 LeMond not long after, the Gan Team version, excell glx tubing, chorus 8 speed ergo kit...took them up on their 3 day test drive and loved the ride...

still want an rb-1 each time i see threads on 'em here and there...maybe one day...i've held on to the catalogs, 92, 93, 94, just in case i need some geometry info...in the end the only bridgestone i ever bought was a 93 orange X0-1 for my wife...i did some long rides on it and it's a sweet ride...

that's my bridgestone history...

picstloup
08-18-2011, 04:23 AM
MY 57.5cm 92 RB1

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt327/oldarizona/Bridgestone%20RB1/DSC_0861Large.jpg

I still love the simplicity of these rides...the look, groups,...it still appeals...i'm not sure i'll ever adapt to electric shifting...

stephenmarklay
08-18-2011, 07:03 AM
No doubt. I AM going to find one. I think the original intent of the bike is still going strong. Timeless. I love the simple red as pictured here and I also love the later yellow as well. The yellow is very retro racer.

I would prefer DT shifters not bar end. Did people race these with bar end shifters? I like bar end shifters fine but have managed to hit my leg on the shifter standing (old Surly I had).

I still love the simplicity of these rides...the look, groups,...it still appeals...i'm not sure i'll ever adapt to electric shifting...

Sjpitts, if you sell that bike give me a heads up. :D

veloduffer
08-18-2011, 08:23 AM

If I recall, the 1993 models were split - the red model had bar-end shifters, single pivot brakes and was 7-spd, while the yellow was "modern" with brifters, dual pivot brakes and 8-spd drivetrain.

I think it was a concession to boosting sales to offset the rising yen, which was the most significant hurdle for Bridgestone USA/Grant.

mgd
08-18-2011, 11:58 AM
The 1993 had cast crown with ishiwata 019E blades while the 1994 had pressed crown and cromo blades.

the fork blades _might_ be different, but the crown is the same, the ritchey twin-plate type. i can't believe that they went to all the trouble of making a pressed version of that crown after they had been using the casting for a year.

there may be very late rb-1's out there with different forks and crowns; i'm sure that they purged the inventory and used orphan frames and/or orphan forks to make framesets when they were clearing out the warehouse. i have a 92-93 generation mb-1 frameset that was new from the warehouse at the time of the shutdown that came with an aftermarket ritchey fork in the box instead of the bridgestone-decaled ritchey fork.

mgd
08-18-2011, 12:02 PM
The 1993 RB 1 was the my favourite. I thought the yellow paint scheme was great. As mentioned previously it was also had ishiwata tubeset and ishiwata fork cromo cast crown. Very nice. Bikes went to double butted tange in 1994 and a plain fork. A big step down.

big step down? i'm not sure i agree with that either. the ishiwata was cool, but the tange was probably superplusgood, as well, and in a huge factory like that, i'm sure they were pretty happy if the proper tube spec was used for each size and didn't worry what the label on the corrugated box was.

Ray
08-19-2011, 10:40 AM
MY 57.5cm 92 RB1

I have a '92 frame in the yellow and white color scheme. Its a 59. I always liked it when I was riding a lot and in good shape. Its living out its days as a fixed gear and single speed these days and not getting a lot of use, but I don't think I could sell it again (I sold it once, regretted it, and bought it back when the guy I sold it to put it back up for sale). They were nice bikes. Pretty heavy by today's standards, but they rode right.

-Ray

stephenmarklay
08-23-2011, 07:03 AM
Thanks everyone for the help on this. There is a happy ending to this thread. Hint Hint - I will soon be staring up a thread on the PROPER build for this bike :beer:

RFC
08-23-2011, 06:19 PM
MY 57.5cm 92 RB1

Have you rebuilt it yet?

My 1989:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/RCopple/IMG_0002r-6.jpg

WayneJ
08-23-2011, 07:56 PM
The 93 got a larger diameter top tube, which made the bike stiffer than previous years. I felt it was an improvement and noticed mostly when out of the saddle.

stephenmarklay
08-23-2011, 08:19 PM
That 89 looks great! Although you HAVE to switch your bottle cages :)

sjpitts
08-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Have you rebuilt it yet?

Nope, not yet. It is on my list though. I have the tires, nitto noodle and new stem, but I need to decide what I am going to do with shifters and such.