PDA

View Full Version : Need info on Colorado III

cmg
08-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Just purchased a Serotta Colorado III and am curious about it's history. This one is a 2004 with C4s tubing frame/fork in classic red/yellow fade. should be here next week. Where did it fall in the model line up? what replaced it? i had an Atlanta with C4S tubing. what would be the difference?

Marcusaurelius
08-16-2011, 10:51 PM
I've never had an Atlanta but I did have a Colorado III which I would have kept if it had fit me properly. I also had a CSI which I wish I had not sold. The Colorado III was the entry level steel frame a few years ago and I really liked mine. I did not notice any difference between the Colorado III and the CSI. Both were great.

Ken Robb
08-16-2011, 10:53 PM
this bike was similar to a CSi of the same vintage but TIG welded as opposed to brazed/lugged construction.

Peter P.
08-17-2011, 06:29 AM
Refer to the 2003 Catalog link. (http://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18) The models appear from top to bottom, although there's no such thing as "low end" with Serotta!

This is what I did when researching the Colorado III I've been asked to sell.

Brian Smith
08-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Just purchased a Serotta Colorado III and am curious about it's history. This one is a 2004 with C4s tubing frame/fork in classic red/yellow fade. should be here next week. Where did it fall in the model line up? what replaced it? i had an Atlanta with C4S tubing. what would be the difference?

In 2004, the Colorado III was essentially the same as the Coeur D'Acier, but without the carbon seat stay. Materials-wise, your CIII would be fairly similar to the current Colorado, but most likely was built with custom geometry. A current Coeur D'Acier SE could be built with steel stays and be the most similar to your CIII, including finish, if desired.

On a scale, you'd certainly notice a weight difference between your Atlanta and the CIII, and of course the current models.

rounder
08-17-2011, 09:00 PM
I have a catalog with a CIII that also discussed the CSI and CDA. They were all basically the same bike built with Columbus C5 niobium, but the CIII was tig welded with steel seat stays, while the CDA had carbon stays. The CSI was built with all steel stays but with lugs. If you like steel bikes, probably any of them is as good as the others. Love my CIII.

Brian Smith
08-18-2011, 09:10 PM
I have a catalog with a CIII that also discussed the CSI and CDA. They were all basically the same bike built with Columbus C5 niobium, but the CIII was tig welded with steel seat stays, while the CDA had carbon stays. The CSI was built with all steel stays but with lugs. If you like steel bikes, probably any of them is as good as the others. Love my CIII.

Although they were all steel Serottas, the CSi had mostly unique tubing, while the CIII and Coeur D'Acier shared everything except seatstay land and dropouts.
C5S is not a Columbus "product" per se, rather a Serotta collection of design goals and intentions, the actual goods in C5S could vary from frame to frame.

rounder
08-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Cool. Thanks Brian.

cmg
08-18-2011, 10:15 PM
what great info. the anticipation is building. so far i've had an Atlanta (too small), Colorado CRL (head tube too short, long top tube) and a CSI (steep seat tube angle, long top tube ) none were custom for me. the one i'm getting is closer to what i'm currently riding. very cool.