PDA

View Full Version : OT: Switching Browsers

William
07-08-2005, 03:05 PM
I've gone from Internet Explorer to Safari, and now to Foxfire. I've stuck with Safari for a while since it's Mac based and was easier to use (and I believe MS no longer supports it), plus it came with the system. Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed a slow down in performance. Pages were taking much longer to down load. Then I noticed the couple of websites were able to download cookies even though I was denying them.
Today a tekie friend suggested I try Foxfire which he's been using for a while now (Windows version). Anyway, I downloaded it and have been playing with it for a while. First, pages are loading much faster. The ability to tab pages and have multiple sites open and viewing is cool. It's supposed to be able to block spyware & pop-ups as well. I'm still learning the features but so far, in the short time I've been using it, I like it alot.

Just an FYI.

William

www.firefox.com

musgravecycles
07-08-2005, 03:13 PM
I switched to Firefox last December and have never looked back...

J.M. White
07-08-2005, 03:27 PM
I've used Foxfire for several months and no longer have popup ads; also no viruses! Highly recommended! Just google "Mozilla Foxfire" and download the browser for free. Disclaimer: I am not associated with nor have I been compensated by any owner, agent, employee or affiliate of Mozilla. I just like the product and heartily recommend it.

davep
07-08-2005, 04:53 PM
I use mostly Safari, but have been noticing some slow downs and some sites that it will not display correctly. When that happens I fire up Firefox. Maybe I'll try it more regulalry.

BTW, Safari has tabs and a pop-up blocker too.

Big Dan
07-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Explorer to Netscape to Firefox.....now I'm happy... :D

gasman
07-08-2005, 05:20 PM
My wife has firefox on her computer and loves it. She is a total luddite but has begun to see the light and now even has phone that is bluetooth enabled. I have been happy with Safari on my Mac and had the most problems with IE on my old Dell. I may try firefox as well.

Hard Fit
07-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Firefox has a nice add-on that cyclingusers might find useful for keeping up with the TdF. If you want to keep track of the results at a site like cyclingnews.com, get the reload page add-on. You can have the page reload every set amount of time, so you get the latest results each time you go back to the tab you are using to keep track of the TdF news.

Serpico
07-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Firefox has a nice add-on that cyclingusers might find useful for keeping up with the TdF. If you want to keep track of the results at a site like cyclingnews.com, get the reload page add-on. You can have the page reload every set amount of time, so you get the latest results each time you go back to the tab you are using to keep track of the TdF news.

I was happy with IE for the last 7+ years, and I do not change applications on a simple whim--I'm not the "bleeding edge" type, nor do I download programs simply to try them out.

Having said that, I tried Firefox about 4 months ago and I *love* it. Fantastic program.

Kevin
07-09-2005, 06:20 AM
I have used IE for years and it would probably take me too long to learn how to use another application. By the way, despite leaving my computer on-line 24/7, I have never had a virus and I don't get pop-up ads. I think virus attacks are just the luck of the draw.

Kevin

RichMc
07-09-2005, 01:41 PM
Then it's simply a question of "When" and not "If". Sort of like randying about without a condom.

Kevin
07-09-2005, 03:07 PM
Rich,

I guess that is why I have children.

Kevin

hypnos
07-09-2005, 03:58 PM
Maxthon (http://www.maxthon.com/index.htm) works for me.

Russ
07-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Hands down, the best browser for the Mac is OmniWeb....

I am a system admin and I have studied and used most browsers on the Windows and Mac platforms. On our tests, nothing beast OmniWeb on the Mac.

This browser is NOT free, however. Chek it out at: www.omnigroup.com

PS
Too bad this browser is NOT available for Windows :crap:

William
07-11-2005, 05:28 AM
The more I use it, the more I like it. load times have become incredibly faster.

William

kestrel
07-11-2005, 06:59 AM
Explorer to Netscape to Firefox.....now I'm happy... :D

Amen BD! :beer:

cdmc
07-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Firefox Rocks. I started out with Mosaic, then moved to Netscape 2.0, and stuck with Nestcape through v. 7. There sure were some rocky times with v. 6, but I just never grew to like Internet Exploder. Since v. 6, netscape has become increasingly more boated, and then a star appeared, Firefox. All the benifits of Netscape (tabbed browsing, speed, etc.) and none of the garbarge. Highly recommended.

Brons2
07-11-2005, 12:36 PM
I have used IE for years and it would probably take me too long to learn how to use another application. By the way, despite leaving my computer on-line 24/7, I have never had a virus and I don't get pop-up ads. I think virus attacks are just the luck of the draw.

Kevin

CERT, one of the foremost computer security organizations, has recommended using an alternative browser due to the inherent insecurity of IE.

Most other security experts agree.

MartyE
07-12-2005, 04:24 PM
been using Firefox since Sept last year.
The only problem I have is some apps do not work well with it.
I had problems getting Eurosport live broadcast of the tour to work.
Opened up the URL in IE and it worked fine.
other than that I wouldn't think of using IE again.

Marty

Bradford
07-12-2005, 09:54 PM
Because I always roll Big Willy style, I switched to Mozilla Firefox yesterday. I'll put a few miles on it before I post a ride report.