PDA

View Full Version : Campy 10-speed

sc53
08-16-2011, 12:11 PM
My last Campy build was 8-speed record in 1996. I don't want/need 11 speed. For my next bike, I want to try Campy again. Should I look for older 10-speed gruppos or go for the current 10-speed Centaur or the other one (is it Veloce)? I have no idea what the differences are between Ultra shift, Ergo shift, Power shift, etc. I don't have to have silver, black is OK, but alloy preferred over carbon if possible.

Smiley
08-16-2011, 12:16 PM
Wait for electronic stuff and get current SC :)

thwart
08-16-2011, 12:35 PM
I'd do 10 speed, get new Centaur or Athena in silver---except for the ergos---and look around a bit for the older pre-2008 Veloce or Centaur shifters.

But then again, I usually run a compact crank in hilly terrain and really appreciate the ability to drop 3 or 4 cogs with one shift, so when I shift to the smaller chainring as I approach a hill, I'm not also clicking several times with my right hand.

If it were flatter here and I was running a standard crank, I could easily get by with the current mid-line stuff (Centaur or Athena) that shifts basically the same way Shimano does (which is likely what you're used to).

Ralph
08-16-2011, 12:49 PM
Based on what you posted, I would just get a new Centaur alloy group. Around $600 or so some places. If you are like me.....I could care less about not being able to dump a bunch of gears with one thumb push. I don't mind pushing the button every time I want to downshift.

The new stuff just works better than the older stuff.

alastair
08-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Another vote for the 10 speed Centaur here. It's really nice stuff. I went with Chorus 11 on my newest build, but the Centaur is every bit as good functionally.

bikerboy337
08-16-2011, 12:56 PM
I just picked up used 10s record from 2007 on the cheap.. its a good way to go... shifters, rear and fd for around 275 shipped, chorus skeletons for 75 and picked up a new veloce cassette for like $40... had a cannondale branded red crankset for $200 (wanted BB30)... all in all, cant be beat...

that being said, the prices on 11s on this forum are great... saw a chorus crank for like 260 this morning... and i've seen lots of good deals... if you can wait, you can piece either a 10 or 11s together for a great price...

yashcha
08-16-2011, 01:47 PM
I am in the same boat. Looking to go Campy but don't want to deal with 11 Spd.

I have found some good deals on 2012 Centaur Red, which comes with some flashy red anodized parts.

forrestw
08-16-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm loving my ebay-sourced 10 spd group, a mix of record/chorus that I put together for about the price of new Centaur in '09. Centaur was a fine contender in my mind at that point because that was the year they made the thumb of that group able to dump the cassette -- a 'feature' I was accustomed to from bar-end shifting and something I really like having.

Elefantino
08-16-2011, 06:37 PM
The new stuff just works better than the older stuff.
??
I guess you'll have to define "new" and "old" and "stuff" because my 03 Record shifts perfect.

FixedNotBroken
08-16-2011, 06:58 PM
What's wrong with the 11 speed route?

ultraman6970
08-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Sc u can get centaur 10, or try to nail a 10 speed record (used or new) brifters aswell.

As for the ultrashift and power shift difference, mainly is the way you can drop gears, with ultrashift u can drop many cogs in one round, i believe 4 and 3 going up with just 1 large movement of the shifter, the other stuff like escape and power shift can do only 2 down and up is one by one just like shimano does. Shimano can go up and down individually, it can do several cogs i believe.

The new version of centaur comes in ultrashift (if you can find it) or power shift, all depends of what do you need, if you are not racing power shift should work just fine.

Hope this helps.

My last Campy build was 8-speed record in 1996. I don't want/need 11 speed. For my next bike, I want to try Campy again. Should I look for older 10-speed gruppos or go for the current 10-speed Centaur or the other one (is it Veloce)? I have no idea what the differences are between Ultra shift, Ergo shift, Power shift, etc. I don't have to have silver, black is OK, but alloy preferred over carbon if possible.

dbh
08-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Stay away from powershift, that's the marketing drivel Campy has contrived to gloss over the reintroduction of their dumbed down escape shifters. Basically you have less ability to dump multiple cogs -- perhaps Campy's most unique feature. If you don't want to hunt down individual pieces, I would suggest a NOS circa 2009/2010 Centaur group. Velomine still has them in stock, and you also get a full Campy warranty.

http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86_162_258_260&products_id=761&zenid=849evb3ve1q4p4h5u8rnjs7tn4