PDA

View Full Version : Reynolds Assault T / Easton EC90 SL

HJR
08-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Hi All, I appreciate the help with the tubular question I posted last week. I received far more input than I anticipated. Thanks again.

On that note, I have decided to take the plunge but at reduced weight and price line but go tubular. I have been looking at low mileage secondhand wheelsets over the weekend and have come across a couple good deals locally and wanted to get some opinions.

The first is a Reynolds Assault Tubular wheelset. Seller claims less than 500 miles and in clean condition. $800

THe second is an Easton EC90 SL. Seller claims less than 1000 miles, in clean conditon $925.

As always, thanks in advance for any and all input.

TAW
08-16-2011, 02:13 PM
We have a set of Reynolds Assault tubulars at my shop. Good looking set of wheels, and reasonably light weight. Not super light, but they look like really solid wheels. We just got them glued up, so I haven't ridden them yet.

firerescuefin
08-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Have the EC90's and really like them. The braking surface is machined and brakes well, even when wet. Easton also has a great crash replacement program (regardless of whether your the original owner). Haven't ridden the Assaults, but I have not seen bad write ups on either wheel.

gearguywb
08-16-2011, 02:20 PM
I have had good luck with the Assaults. Pretty decent all around wheel. That is not a great price unless they are the 2011 model. Pretty major change between the 2010 and 1022 in Reynolds. You can find a set of the 2010's in good shape for 650 or so.

Idris Icabod
08-16-2011, 03:14 PM
I have the EC90's and the hubs had a problem with the pre-load coming loose which from what I have read is a common problem, in fact mine did after every ride. Easton will send you a new pre-load adjuster that solves this problem, they do have excellent customer service. Other than that seem they like great wheels.

R2D2
08-16-2011, 03:45 PM
I have the EC90's and the hubs had a problem with the pre-load coming loose which from what I have read is a common problem, in fact mine did after every ride. Easton will send you a new pre-load adjuster that solves this problem, they do have excellent customer service. Other than that seem they like great wheels.

Yes there is a new preload adjuster. They have flats for a 15mm cone wrench. If you don't have the flats call them up and they'll mail new ones straight away. I've not riden Reynolds but do like the Eastons (SLX in my case). I will mention sometimes the old adjusters can be a biatch to get off if
tightened too tight during assemble.

cmg
08-16-2011, 04:48 PM
Have both the easton EC90sl and EC90SL tubulars. i got lucky on eBay and one of the forums. EC90 Sl, nice and stiff rim, replaced the AC sprint 350 wheelset with them, i like them, spin up is quick, very little flex, hold speeds better than AC350s. going over rollers is easier. the EC90SLX are a whole different story, instant favorites, going to ride these things until i destroy them. Noticed the spin up immediatly, did a 68 miler this weekend, improved my time on this route by 10 seconds but the beat to hell, deadlegs, zombie for the rest of the afternoon feeling that is also associated with this route wasn't there. i blame the wheels. of course haven't had to replace a flat but i did go through the mounting ritual, 3 coats on the rim, 2 on the tire with drying time inbetween. what's the rush? don't fear tubulars.........

HJR
08-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the input.

Forgot to mention that he was including two mounted tubes and one extra for the price of the reynolds.

keithreynolds
08-17-2011, 12:48 PM
The reynolds wheels I've seen have the spoke nipple inside the rim. That means you have to unglue the tire in order to fix a spoke which may or may not be a concern for you.

The eastons are outside the rim.