PDA

View Full Version : goat head he!!

dixiesdad
08-16-2011, 10:44 AM
I wanted to share a story that made me laugh out loud. I was riding in Cherry Creek State Park near the house in Centennial Co and was running late, so wanted to call the other half to let her know I was ok. I was only 15 minutes from home. I pulled off on a gravel parking lot to call and BOOM I looked down and had 9 goatheads in the front tire , and 6 in the back. There were so many it actually made me laugh. I had brilliantly taken the second inner tube from the spare pouch prior to the ride , and the front tire was leaking air as if it had been shot with a shot gun. I made the call but it was to have her pick me up. I am hoping the law of averages kicks in and I won't get a flat now for 7 years or so. I looked up goat head and saw it is called puncturevine..very good name with what the plant can do. enjoyning the new SACHs immensely.

keevon
08-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Spent several months in goathead country a number of years ago. I remember the LBS guys telling me that the local racers would cut the tread off of old tires and stick them underneath their new tires to ward off the little bastards. I also remember using 250 gram butyl tubes for the same purpose...

Mother nature's ultimate tire-killing device:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-86_uX7vbse0/TXl1AulcohI/AAAAAAAAABU/V9z_vrSQDks/s1600/goat_head_thorns.jpg

rockdude
08-16-2011, 02:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E95lxyZkGw

Ken Robb
08-16-2011, 02:17 PM
I think this is why Native Americans invented moccasins. :banana:

pbbob
08-16-2011, 02:21 PM
only thing that has ever punctured an armadillo tire.

RFC
08-16-2011, 02:23 PM
I live in Goathead City, AZ. I bulletproof all of my tires or else I'd be changing flats every other ride. Methods I use include puncture resistant tubes, liners, and center tread cut from old tires (this actually works quite well).

cdn_bacon
08-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Whatta bunch of pr*cks

:no:

Didn't they have those in Super Mario World?