PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Bikes are expensive

veggieburger
08-16-2011, 09:34 AM
I'm looking for a step-through Gazelle or Batavus 3 speed bike, but am finding them to be in the thousand dollar range. Dang!

Have you ever found these things on sale? I know Linus and Electra make cheaper versions...any others that are notable?

EricEstlund
08-16-2011, 09:38 AM
If you are looking for something with a Dutch bike "feel" but with better features and more versitle handling I'd check out the Breezer stuff.

Those "true" Dutch bikes sure look sweet, but I'd be hard pressed to go get coffee on one.

fiamme red
08-16-2011, 01:09 PM
If you live in a hilly area, think twice about getting a Dutch bike. They are very heavy.

jr59
08-16-2011, 01:17 PM
You may check with your local trek/Gary fisher store.

I know they have put some of GF city bikes on sale.

endosch2
08-16-2011, 02:38 PM
I am reporting from Belgium where my company has provided me with a dutch bike to ride back and forth from my hotel for two weeks. It has Nexus hubs with generators.

I keep getting "chicked" by "chicks" on dutch bikes.

Pictures to follow.....

soupless
08-16-2011, 07:00 PM
What's chicked?

I'll second the Gary Fisher Simple City, especially if it's flat where you are. Very nice bikes for the $$. I'm on #3.

edit: didn't see step thru requirement. may be hard to find a step thru fisher.
try trek allant, coco
soma buenavista too.

IJWS
08-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Don't do it! You're having a very normal reaction to an object that, upon closer inspection, proves to be heavy and technologically disadvantaged--it's called not really wanting a dutch bike. Why do you still want it? Why not a linus or one of those republic bikes that urban outfitters sells? Those are just as uselessly trendy and they're at least cheap enough to let go of when you come to your senses. Besides, if you truly want something overpriced and trendy, you want a Biomega. I expect to see a post tomorrow titled "Biomega bikes are expensive".

buldogge
08-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Get an 80's mixte instead...if you want Dutch, Gazelle made a Champion Mondial Mixte...my wife has a Univega (Miyata) triple butted tubing mixte that isn't half bad... Alternatively, do up an old Raleigh Sport or Huffy Sportsman (Raleigh built) or somesuch for a bar/park bike.

I have a '63 Huffeigh that is modded with alloy wheels, tektro brakes, alloy crank (Phil BB), Nitto cockpit, and Brooks saddle...it serves it's purpose and is lighter than a Dutch citybike by far.

My 2c

-Mark in St. Louis

BTW...FWIW...I love Dutch bikes...I have a Reus Criterium and a Batavus Pro (both SLX) and would love a few different Gazelle models (Exception, Jubilee, AA Super), a Zieleman, a Presto, a RIH, a Concorde, and the list goes on!

I'm looking for a step-through Gazelle or Batavus 3 speed bike, but am finding them to be in the thousand dollar range. Dang!

Have you ever found these things on sale? I know Linus and Electra make cheaper versions...any others that are notable?

endosch2
08-17-2011, 01:45 AM
[QUOTE=soupless]What's chicked?

Chicked is when you are riding along uphill giving it you all and a 55 year old woman goes blowing by you. They seem to do it on their dutch bikes with relative ease.

oldpotatoe
08-17-2011, 07:45 AM

Public, $550, I sell 'em

www.publicbikes.com

buck-50
08-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Or just get an old 80s MTB, spray paint the frame black and build up a 3 or 5 speed wheel.

Yer a bike guy, you've got spare parts, you could probably build it for under 400 if you were careful.

I built this one for under $500, and I was not exactly being frugal.

http://i53.tinypic.com/350q8ap.jpg

Schwinn Probe MTB- $50 at a yardsale- fully chromed under the paint, so hit it with talstrip and ta-da, pretty bike. Tossed everything but the derailleurs, seatpost and wheels. VO fenders (650b fenders work fine over 26" wheels), splurged on fancy VO handlebars and reverse brake levers.

bicycletricycle
08-17-2011, 08:54 AM
don't listen to the haters. I have one of these-

http://www.workcycles.com/home-products/handmade-city-bicycles/workcycles-opafiets

it is awesome.

HomardBreton
08-17-2011, 09:21 AM
...one grand seem regular for a NEW classic + branded dutch bike. Over here in Germany ( I live nearby the dutch border ) the prices, either in the Netherlands, are about 600-800 EUR, which equals one grand in overseas...

Here, those bikes are loved by students and greenies...

soupless
08-17-2011, 09:47 AM

http://www.workcycles.com/home-products/handmade-city-bicycles/workcycles-opafiets

it is awesome.

+1

My first ride on a workcycles was cathartic. It's like someone took your favorite chair and put wheels and pedals on.

Now, even though I don't have one, I think they're worth every cent and when I see someone riding one I immediately get jealous and then internally compliment them on having excellent taste.

fiamme red
08-17-2011, 09:53 AM
+1

My first ride on a workcycles was cathartic. It's like someone took your favorite chair and put wheels and pedals on.http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/8/view/15132/sofa-bike.html

http://www.designboom.com/cms/images/user_submit/2011/06/rsz_dscf0980.jpg

buck-50
08-17-2011, 09:53 AM

it is awesome.
Not to be a dick, but what, exactly, is the difference between that bike and just about any old schwinn or raleigh 3 speed you can pick up on craigslist for under $100?

bicycletricycle
08-17-2011, 11:23 AM
geometry is all different, the dutch bikes have an amazing upright rider position and super stable steering geometry, the seat tube is really relaxed as well. It also has a self centering mechanism for the bars so that when the bike is on its center stand it stays pointed forward, internal routing for all of the generator lighting, chaincase, routing for nexus cables, clearence for huge tires.

All of these things add up to a pretty large difference in ride. The bike is totally different than an old raleigh when you ride it. I think it may actually be heavier as well :)

Doug Fattic
08-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Americans really miss out because we typically don’t have places to buy Dutch style bikes. They are beginning to catch on and there are some stores in the big cities that sell them but generally there isn’t a market for them here. This is probably because of prejudice - including a bit of a know-it-all attitude - but also because some parts of the country are too hilly or the suburbs too far from cycling to destinations.

They are great bikes and much better for short distance commuting and making grocery runs than a converted MTB or on old ten-speed. The Dutch (who as a country use bicycles to get around a lot) actually know what they are doing when they designed them.

They are designed for not-big-city use and pedaling at a walking effort (which is probably a deal breaker for type A Americans) around 8 to 10 miles per hour so your don’t arrive all sweaty and gross. For the most part they are best for short runs of a couple of miles or less. Internal gears with a totally enclosed chain guard mean they are ready to run errands or get a quick bit of fresh air with whatever you are wearing now. No need for cycling shoes and shorts. It has all the conveniences built in, a kickstand, baskets, fenders, built in ring locks, generator lights. All that stuff increases the cost and weighs so that is why it isn’t possible to make them light or cheap. I find internal gearing that allows you to shift while coasting or standing still a big plus around town.

I got involved with these making this type of bicycle for pastors in Ukraine. I like them much better for their intended use than any other type of bicycle. We as Americans are suspicious of them because we aren’t familiar with them. It was a revelation to me when I started to use a real one.

kenmetzger
08-17-2011, 02:10 PM
Chicked is when you are riding along uphill giving it you all and a 55 year old woman goes blowing by you. They seem to do it on their dutch bikes with relative ease.

They could be on electric assisted bicycles. They are really popular. I just did a small bike tour of the Limburg region and did notice that a good percentage of the bikes are electric.

If the ground is relatively flat and one does not need to ride fast, then the dutch bikes do make a lot of sense. We rode them for about thirty miles a day, but it was vacation so I was in no hurry.

miguel
08-17-2011, 04:25 PM
@the OP

are you really looking for a Dutch bike? Where are you located? My wife is 5'5" and we're considering getting her a different model. Azor Oma with nexus 8sp. All the bells and whistles (actual bell, no whistle).

false_Aest
08-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Just thought you should know that Eric Zimmerman (from across the hall) designed the Linus frames.

And while he may not be making a living off of building bikes (he's a cinematographer), the dude totally knows his bikes and design.

I'm biased though - he's helping me build my CX frame, is an effin awesome cook and his dog might be considered my 2nd girlfriend.

fiamme red
08-25-2011, 09:53 AM
This limited-production model looks really nice:

http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2011/08/bella-ciao-superba-ready-and-available.html

"Twelve were made and I think 4 or 5 remain available."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lovely_bicycle/sets/72157627388187873/with/6077909231/

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6089/6077909231_981b5d652f_o.jpg

oldpotatoe
08-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Just thought you should know that Eric Zimmerman (from across the hall) designed the Linus frames.

And while he may not be making a living off of building bikes (he's a cinematographer), the dude totally knows his bikes and design.

I'm biased though - he's helping me build my CX frame, is an effin awesome cook and his dog might be considered my 2nd girlfriend.

Just started selling Linus, used to sell Public(clones). Linus less expensive and they actually support their dealer network...something Public has yet to 'learn'.

michael white
08-25-2011, 06:06 PM
I completely agree with Doug's assessment. Dutch bikes are different than anything we use here, and the differences are revelatory but you probably have to ride one in your daily life for a while to appreciate it. Of course, there aren't many places here as pleasant and convenient to ride as the Dutch enjoy in every part of their country; hence it might make some sense to only use bikes for recreation, as we do, and drive semi-comatose the rest of the time on butt-ugly American roads.

A Dutch bike is designed to do things without strain that none of our bikes here can do. These include: ability to last three or four decades without ever once coming inside, the ability to ride over tram tracks, curbs and cobblestones without hardly noticing, ability to carry big loads or hitchhikers front and back, ability to sit up and live your life while riding, on and on and on. A Dutch bike is a tool (not a toy or sporting item) that is fully integrated into society; Fisher dreamed of designing such a bike for us.

Americans really miss out because we typically don’t have places to buy Dutch style bikes. They are beginning to catch on and there are some stores in the big cities that sell them but generally there isn’t a market for them here. This is probably because of prejudice - including a bit of a know-it-all attitude - but also because some parts of the country are too hilly or the suburbs too far from cycling to destinations.

They are great bikes and much better for short distance commuting and making grocery runs than a converted MTB or on old ten-speed. The Dutch (who as a country use bicycles to get around a lot) actually know what they are doing when they designed them.

They are designed for not-big-city use and pedaling at a walking effort (which is probably a deal breaker for type A Americans) around 8 to 10 miles per hour so your don’t arrive all sweaty and gross. For the most part they are best for short runs of a couple of miles or less. Internal gears with a totally enclosed chain guard mean they are ready to run errands or get a quick bit of fresh air with whatever you are wearing now. No need for cycling shoes and shorts. It has all the conveniences built in, a kickstand, baskets, fenders, built in ring locks, generator lights. All that stuff increases the cost and weighs so that is why it isn’t possible to make them light or cheap. I find internal gearing that allows you to shift while coasting or standing still a big plus around town.

I got involved with these making this type of bicycle for pastors in Ukraine. I like them much better for their intended use than any other type of bicycle. We as Americans are suspicious of them because we aren’t familiar with them. It was a revelation to me when I started to use a real one.