PDA

View Full Version : Improvement?

bulliedawg
02-11-2004, 08:25 AM
This thread brings up an interesting question: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=947

Is there a cycling component or piece of equipment that needs improvement?

Here's the thing with me: I have a CSi; Ultegra group: Sachs chain; Ritchey Cranks; Cane Creek Wheels; Aliente saddle; Dean titanium post; Michelin tires. It's he only road bike I own.

All this stuff works great. I mean flawlessly. (Chains and tires wear out, of course.) Yet the component companies keep shoving new stuff at us, and the stuff they're holding under our noses doesn't perform any better than the stuff we're already using, at least in my opinion.

There are minds on this board who have deep, deep knowledge of cycling history. Doc Brooks for one seems to be saying that the older stuff works just fine. I've only known index shifting, so I can't speak. But it seems to me that he's right.

My question is: Is there a piece of cycling equipment that really, truly needs improvement? Certainly the brakes that prompted my thoughts aren't an example.

For me, bikes are tactile. It's about how the bike feels. I just don't think the new Dura Ace, or the Cat Claw brakes will make my bike feel any better.

I'll tell you what I want: I want better water bottles. Seriously -- leave the components alone, and give me bottles that don't get scummy in the nozzle, bottles that I don't have to soak in bleach regularly. That's the only improvement I want.

Discuss among yourselves...

Climb01742
02-11-2004, 08:40 AM
my thing would be tires. changing tires just sucks. with tubs, it's the glueing. with clinchers, it's the tube, the stiff, tight sidewalls of some tires, trying to do it on the road in sub-freezing weather.

the ideal, IMO, would be find a simpler adhesive system for tubs. who could lead this? is it a "glue" issue, so maybe someone like 3M. is it a tire issue, so maybe a tire company? is it a new rim technology, so mavic maybe?

most everything else on a bike nowadays is both simple and sophisticated. tires are neither. maybe michelin and mavic's new system is the answer. but even if it works, sounds like there might be a better answer somewhere. my 2 cents anyway.

Todd Owen
02-11-2004, 09:51 AM
dawg.....you are absolutely my hero slightly behind BRDK...I have put together several bikes after the new 10 speed DA and have chosen the 9 speed DA which shifts and acts very similar to the new 10 speed. I have used the 10 speed on a masters postal serotta and it does shift great but the price is nuts vs the one less speed. If you every get a chance to shift an old campy nouvo record rear deralliier NON INDEXED then you will know what an efficient component really was. The thing just bang into place! It is also sturdy...I used to race and had a guy come up from behind and ran into my NR . after 6 spokes of his wheel were clipped in two he realized he was too close. The derailler had just a small mark. Try that with carbon fiber! I also like your choice of different brands for the components. what color was you CSi again?

Bruce H.
02-11-2004, 09:57 AM
I agree with you fully. The plastic smell and taste of the bottles are awful!
Bruce H.

Todd Owen
02-11-2004, 09:57 AM
sorry thats drbk !!!!!!!:p :p :p

BumbleBeeDave
02-11-2004, 10:01 AM
More durable tires would be very nice. Self-sealing, tubeless, lighter, yet still giving a supple, responsive ride.

As for tubulars, Tufo has come out with pressure-activated glue-tape. Sounds like a dynamite idea, though I have not used any.

• A combination computer-heart monitor-power meter integrated into the frame, with readout integrated into the handlebar tops to eliminate having to figure out where to mount the computer. Same with the power-cadence senors integrated into the BB-crank assembly.

• Also, seats with gel-foam cushions. Activate the foam and go for your first ride to mold it to your anatomy and set the foam permanently. Like a Brooks without the break-in period.

• Push-buttom skewers. Adjust the release tension, then just snap 'em in. Push the release button to get them out. Eliminate the weight and looks penalty of the skewer lever.

None of these ideas depend on radical new technology developments. Rather, they just require further integration of the components--a road Cannondale has already started down with BB's, headsets, MTB shocks, etc.

BBDave

Dude
02-11-2004, 10:27 AM
There was similar post to this on the old board and BigMac had some great ideas about using carbon fibers for shifter/brake cables. The idea that stainless steel is still the most efficient material in this app is pretty strange. David Kirk too had some great ideas too.

BigMac also mentioned something about internally geared rear hubs. I think they could develop a cool belt-driven internally geared system. It would be silent and wear 5x as long as a metal chain on cogs.

I had always wondered why can't they design a rear der. that doesn't need the cable to enter from the back - eliminate that big loop of housing/cable.

Internal cable routing for front der.? - that doesn't really do anything except make for a cleaner look.

Thats all i can think of right now.

Jay Torborg
02-11-2004, 11:58 AM
I think the whole drivetrain could be improved. Currently, everything is exposed to the elements and subject to easy damage during minor crashes. While it is fairly reliable and can be built inexpensively, it requires frequent maintenance to keep it working well, and I still have the chain fall off occassionally when shifting to the small chainring.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a totally enclosed drivetrain in 10-20 years, perhaps using a driveshaft and mesh gears instead of chains and sprockets.

vaxn8r
02-11-2004, 11:59 AM
Todd, you have got to be kidding. Nuovo Record? I have an entire grouppo in excellent condition I will sell you. If you're going to advocate retro why not something that really worked at the time like ST Superb Pro. Far superior to the N. Record (which is what I used to use). Anf teh brakes? Please. Even Campy called them "speed modulators". Two blocks of hard rubber...don't plan on stopping in a hurry! Brake hoods about an inch long....I can go on and on. Have you used that stuff recently?

The new stuff works better. If you can't tell the difference between DA 9 and 10..... well, you can. Whether or not that's important or relevant to you is another matter. Would I upgrade a DA/Ultegra to DA 10? No. But if I'm starting from scratch, the new stuff is better. No doubt about it.

Todd Owen
02-11-2004, 12:22 PM
How much do you want for the old group?

bulliedawg
02-11-2004, 12:24 PM
Jay:

My drivetrain works flawlessly. And as for the DT being enclosed, I hope that doesn't happen from my personal perspective, because one of the my favorite things about bikes is that it's all on the outside.

Todd: This is my bike:

http://www.bikefanclub.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=509&password=&sort=1&cat=all&page=1

vaxn8r
02-11-2004, 01:13 PM
If you're serious let me know, I think you can e-mail me from my profile. Right now it's on a built up 1983 frameset so I could go either whole bike or parts.

Not that I don't appreciate the old stuff. I even ride that bike a few times a year. But other than the fond memories, it's not comparable to what's available since then.

Matt Barkley
02-11-2004, 01:23 PM
The TUFO extreme tape is awesome and "extremely" easy to mount and align tire. I highly recommend it , Climb.

I think drivetrains like Campy 10 and maybe the DA9 or new 10 are quite exellent - but there is still room for improvement. The stuff needs to be fairly well adjusted (if you use different wheels, etc) - can make noise - friction can be reduced - and the comment on exposed drivetrain are very relevent. The stuff wears out. (I do keep my drivetrain silent, well adjusted and clean and use Rock n'Roll Gold lube)

Tires too. I like the Veloflex the best for their feel and especially their grip - and I have now been using them with Mr. Tuffys. I don't notice a difference in feel - just a small audible "bump" when riding trainer or rollers. I never get flats anymore - jinxproof stuff!

Climb01742
02-11-2004, 01:34 PM
hey, matt, any more details on TUFO? just the tape? or their tires too? thanks.

Peter
02-11-2004, 07:20 PM
1. Dishless rear wheels-for longer lasting, truer wheels.

2. Fewer speeds. I was happy with six.

3. Frame clearances for 26mm tires with room to spare for a broken spoke.

4. Microadjustable seatposts.

5. Brake pads that don't get loaded with metal grit so easily.

6. STI/Ergo with a friction option; for those days when something's broken.

7. More height adjustability with threadless stem systems.

Matt Barkley
02-11-2004, 08:04 PM
Climb and all,
Compared to Veleflex, Conti Competition 22s and Vittoria Silks (I have never ridden or owned Dugast - gotta get some) the best Tufo - S3 lite 21/22(in my humble opinion) doesn't have as nice a feel - though it is a great tire, fast, durable, etc. Feel is subjective - and what it is all about...

The water bottle improvement, and Jerk comments are spot on. I miss good rims.. Maybe the closeness to which we all are to the bicycle by its own very nature, (we ride 'em a lot and are not so insulated from the machine) gives us ample opportunity to scrutinize for improvement, even at the most subtle level. After all, it is the most perfect machine we have come up with so far.

vaxn8r
02-11-2004, 08:25 PM
As far as water bottles, it got me thinking.....I think they are way better than they were 10 years ago and far superior to 15-20 years ago. Those old bottles had skinny necks and were made of hard plastic which leaked 99% of the time all over your bike. The old caps pushed on instead of screwing on. You couldn't get a real mouthful of water out of them...low flow design. Now those were bad.

I like Specialized bottles. They work great for me, especially remembering those old ones. Kind of like comparing those old campy N/S Record brakes with the new ones. No comparison really.

MartyE
02-12-2004, 01:14 PM
I'm using the Tufo tape (original not extreme) with Conti sprinters
and so far no problems (a bit less than 1k miles). Easy to mount
tires, and to get them centered properly. The only concern I've
got is that the bond is strong enough to lift the base tape off
of regular tubulars. I've also heard the tape comes off with the
tire when you demount them so you need extra glue tape and
tire for on road repairs.
FWIW I'm in texas and haven't had problems with tire creep,
rolls etc. due to heat. Not sure what tufo considers extreme
but I'm guessing it applies to the riding here.

Marty