PDA

View Full Version : worn headtube

shankldu
08-15-2011, 03:18 PM
any ideas i have any older steel frame that was a 1 inch headtube but the 1 inch headset just slips in without pressing any ideas locktight . Will the compression of the headset itself keep it secure or will this present issues later . it doesnt wobble around but its not a tight fit either

christian
08-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Chris King can sell headset cups with oversize skirts to fit in overly large head tubes. That, or JB Weld, are about your only solutions. Don't JB Weld if it's a nice frame...

christian
08-15-2011, 03:41 PM
What's the OD on the frame cup, just out of curiosity? It should be 30.2mm, IIRC.

gdw
08-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Might your bike be a Bridgestone by any chance? :banana:
Ovalized headtubes are a common problem with the old mb and rb's and the quick and easy fix is to glue the loose piece into place with JB Weld. Works great but might have to be repeated every few years.

shankldu
08-15-2011, 03:51 PM
replaced how would yu get the headset out after having glued it in

QUOTE=gdw]Might your bike be a Bridgestone by any chance? :banana:
Ovalized headtubes are a common problem with the old mb and rb's and the quick and easy fix is to glue the loose piece into place with JB Weld. Works great but might have to be repeated every few years.[/QUOTE]

shankldu
08-15-2011, 03:54 PM
from what i have heard king headsets last a lifetime so, i guess i could glue one in and forget it. I would prob have to buy a new one with the skirt as mentioned and the frame doesnt warrant it .

christian
08-15-2011, 03:55 PM
With JB Weld, the idea is that you wouldn't. But if your headtube is ovalized enough, it'll still come out... eventually.

If JB Weld is too permanent for you, Locktite Red or Green would do in a pinch too, but would likely work worse.

BTW, what kind of bike is it?

bike22
08-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Chris King can sell headset cups with oversize skirts to fit in overly large head tubes.
can you provide a link or more info on these, i'm not sure if i've ever heard or seen this before.

shankldu
08-15-2011, 04:09 PM
someone says that bike shops use green locktite.Also being an italian frame it may take a specific headset say campy .

christian
08-15-2011, 04:14 PM
someone says that bike shops use green locktite.Also being an italian frame it may take a specific headset say campy .

????ty bike shops maybe. I'd do that on a beater bike I had to ride home to feed my family, but not otherwise.

All (well, basically all, unless it's some ancient French tandem) headsets are the same size. The only reason a different brand would help is if you magically found one with sloppy tolerances.

shankldu
08-15-2011, 04:14 PM
its a basso i think the gap model but is has been repainted and no decals

christian
08-15-2011, 04:16 PM
can you provide a link or more info on these, i'm not sure if i've ever heard or seen this before.

Middle of page 12. http://chrisking.com/files/pdfs/TechServiceManual.pdf

They don't really advertise this service loudly (one presumes because there can't be much margin in providing oversize cups), but it does reinforce the fact that King is "all things headset."

shankldu
08-15-2011, 04:22 PM
actually no there is 30.0 and 30.2

????ty bike shops maybe. I'd do that on a beater bike I had to ride home to feed my family, but not otherwise.

All (well, basically all, unless it's some ancient French tandem) headsets are the same size. The only reason a different brand would help is if you magically found one with sloppy tolerances.

christian
08-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Yeah, ok, are you putting a JIS headset in an ISO frame? Then the answer is, don't do that. I mean seriously, ***...

"Should I JB Weld in a JIS headset into an ISO frame?" :confused:
"No, you should buy an appropriately sized headset." :mad: :crap:

I'm done here.

lonoeightysix
08-15-2011, 05:16 PM
CK hooked me up in the past with a +.004 bottom cup on a closeout frame I purchased that was improperly reamed from the factory. You should call CK up for a recommendation on whether you should have your ovalized headtube overreamed to a known round diameter prior to install.

Peter P.
08-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Loctite is an inexpensive way to see if you can resurrect a frame that otherwise would be considered toast. I've done it. Use Loctite 680 Retaining Compound. It'll still be removable with a slide hammer if need be.

eddief
08-15-2011, 05:31 PM
on some obscure website, someone mentioned this method:

If you do find that the headtube is flared. I have had good luck using a center punch to make little divits on the headset cup interface.

Basically I take a huge socket and put it a vise. Then I put the headset over the socket and use a sharp center punch and make a bunch of divits in the cup sleave (the part that is pressed up against the headtube).

You make a bunch of these divits which actually spreads the metal up and out slightly raising the aluminum material around the divit. This provides the extra material needed to ensure a tighter fit. Its not perfect, nor will you be able to get that true pressed in connection, but if is that vs. JB welding a heaset into a frame, I choose this method.

If you do JB weld a headset it, make it a King so that you know the headset will never be a problem for you in the future.

ultraman6970
08-15-2011, 11:51 PM
White out works as well.

oldpotatoe
08-16-2011, 08:05 AM

No decent bike shop uses any loctite on headset cups. I'm thinking your headtube is deformed, ovalized. The best option is a ChrisKing HS that has oversized cups.

hockeybike
08-16-2011, 08:17 AM
I had an issue like this once before. Took an aluminum soda can, cut a length out and pressed it in between the headset and the frame. Never had an issue with it and hte headset that previously required no headset press to go in required one once a shim was put between it and the headtube.

Germany_chris
08-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Yeah, ok, are you putting a JIS headset in an ISO frame? Then the answer is, don't do that. I mean seriously, ***...

"Should I JB Weld in a JIS headset into an ISO frame?" :confused:
"No, you should buy an appropriately sized headset." :mad: :crap:

I'm done here.

Ya learn something new every day..today it was two things highlighted text can be drug around in Word and there are jis and iso headsets.. :)

lonoeightysix
08-21-2011, 09:41 AM
too bad it's a 1 1/8"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chris-King-004-silver-/180712311029?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a134b08f5#ht_500wt_1200

ultraman6970
08-21-2011, 12:15 PM
If you spray "good paint" in there, then ream it to specs the headset should fit there and please stop playing to... "i like this headset better, so i will change id 10 times per year". headsets needs to be changed only when they die and bike once with headsets should be sold with them to avoid this problems. It just sucks when u get a bike and the thing is over bored because the owners put like 400 headsets in 20 years in there, even the fork gets all f.. up because of this.

ultraman6970
08-22-2011, 01:56 PM
@ CL now? Interesting.

Marcusaurelius
08-22-2011, 10:31 PM
A local framebuilder could replace the head tube. I had a head tube and top tube replaced for $200 a few years ago.