PDA

View Full Version : found the right bike?

Guacamole
07-08-2005, 10:59 AM
A couple of months back I found a De Rosa that was right for me and joined this website. I got some good feedback on the bike which was posted here. Missed the deal by about an hour being sold by a gentleman (Dave Thompson), who was nice as he could be. It was one of Dr Douglas Brooks bikes, a perfect steel De Rosa. My dream bike for various reasons in my past. Unfortunately it was not to be.

Back on the trail again trying to find the right bike, a gentlemanly smooth not too aggressive for a 48 year old (me). I've put on a few pounds. I miss those early morning rides where I can climb, sprint or just cruise 30 to 70 miles before the day gets too hot. I've come across a 2002 LeMond Victoire Ti bike in perfect condition (just my size). I've tested the bike and find it tight, smooth and very comfortable. I know some out there have a problem with Mr. Lemond, but frankly the bike was built in WI at Trek and really is hard to match especially for under 1600 dollars. I would also like to get the right seat tube measurement and am not exactly sure how lemond sized this bike measuring form point a to point b? on the seat tube??? It's probobly a 59 but it could be a 61 if I'm measuring wrong. I'm 6,4.

Anyone out there have an opinion on this Ultegra groupo Ti bike with a great set of bontrager wheels?

Thanks,

Guacamole :cool:

Big Dan
07-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Who doesn't like Greg???..... :confused:

Not me..I have 2 Lemonds and both are pretty good bikes, not fancy.....
Both are steel so I can't help you with the Ti...

Kevan
07-08-2005, 11:06 AM
The Lemond make has a solid rep. Ultegra is the work horse of the Shimano line. Assuming you fit (could be an issue with you and the frame size) and like the way it rides, and all parts work safely, don't waste your time asking us, buy it.

Guacamole
07-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Who doesn't like Greg???..... :confused:

Not me..I have 2 Lemonds and both are pretty good bikes, not fancy.....
Both are steel so I can't help you with the Ti...

I'm fine with Lemond in fact after what he's been thorugh wth the hunting accident etc. he's right up there with you know who. It's just that I have bumped into those that just can't handle free speech, if you know what I mean...

Big Dan
07-08-2005, 11:37 AM
I'm fine with Lemond in fact after what he's been thorugh wth the hunting accident etc. he's right up there with you know who. It's just that I have bumped into those that just can't handle free speech, if you know what I mean...

I understand what you are saying...
That's is the reason why during the month of July I'm giving my 2 Serotta's a break and I'm riding my oldest Lemond....

:D

Ahneida Ride
07-08-2005, 11:55 AM
Guacamole:

At 6'4, I believe that s 59 or 60 is way too small.

I'm 6"4 and ride a 64 and should have gone for the 65 as my fitter
suggested.

I'd suggest speaking to a competent fitter or ask a few questions here.

Best Regards

Bittersweet
07-08-2005, 01:32 PM
It all sounds great but you should really make sure it fits. At 6'4" a 59cm sounds quite small but maybe you are all legs, like a long seat post and are so flexible you enjoy a ton of saddle to bar height differential. Not for us to judge in cyberspace without measuring you up and seeing how you fit on the bike.

At 6'5" I've ridden as small as a 60cm in a pinch but wouldn't recommend it.

eddief
07-08-2005, 01:56 PM
At 6'4" I too am not sure about the Lemond fit. I don't need to be sure, but you do. My recollection is that Lemond designs with long top tubes. But if you'd fit on that Lemond, how about the CSI in the classified section?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=9488

Guacamole
07-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Actually I'm 6 3 and a half. I have a really long back and never felt comfortable on anything larger than a 60. That's why I would like to know for sure if this bike is a 59 or 61. I measure it to be closer to a 59 but am not sure how lemond measures their bikes. Still it feels great and if there are no warnings about lemond Ti bikes I will buy this weekend.

Guacamole ;)

97CSI
07-08-2005, 04:17 PM
It would be quite surprising to learn that Trek welded the Ti Lemond bikes in WI. If I recall, they were made under contract at various other U.S. suppliers (Litespeed, etc.) and are now made in China (one of the two). My '91 lugged steel Lemond was made in Italy and my '87 lugged steel Lemond Coors Lite bike was also made in Italy. And, Lemond is completely filled with sour grapes. He can say what he wants, but it always comes out as sour grapes about others who do well.

Greg's sour grapes aside, I really like the lugged steel bikes and think every bike I know of with his name on it is well designed/made, regardless of by whom.

Big Dan
07-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Gp ....surprise!!!!!!!!!!

Every one knows the pre trek steel models were made in Italy..
my 93 Excell GLX was.....and there was Clark Kent and Calfee...
Read up.....Ti by Trek in lovely Wisconsin.....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/sponsors/lemond02/

Watch out "carving " those turns... :rolleyes:

SneakyFast1
07-08-2005, 05:11 PM
LeMond bikes (produced by Trek) are measured center of bottom bracket to center of top tube. The Victorie was produced in odd sizes 49, 51, 53, 55, 57, 59, 61.

Douglas

97CSI
07-08-2005, 06:34 PM
Big Dan.....where on Lemonds website does it state that the bikes are made in WI by Trek? It states that most were made in the U.S. since '86, but nothing about WI or Trek. And, our Lemonds were made in Italy and were all after '86.

But, I do appreciate having a 'Big' brother looking out for me. I'll try to do the same for you when you get to some downhills where you, too, can carve some turns. :D

vaxn8r
07-08-2005, 11:48 PM
If it fits I think the Lemond is a solid choice for a pretty good price. Nothing fancy (like Serotta's swaged, shaped tubesets), just solid performance.

It's sometimes hard to get unbiased opinions on this forum regarding anything considered "mass produced" or "bike industry". Keep that in mind.

Kevin
07-09-2005, 06:03 AM
I know some out there have a problem with Mr. Lemond,
Guacamole :cool:

I have no problems with Greg. I rode with him a few years ago and he was a great guy. Very personable and very knowledgable. I have never ridden any of the LeMond bikes, but they have a good reputation.

Kevin

Guacamole
07-09-2005, 09:58 AM
I have no problems with Greg. I rode with him a few years ago and he was a great guy. Very personable and very knowledgable. I have never ridden any of the LeMond bikes, but they have a good reputation.

Kevin
Nor do I,as a matter of fact I will always think of Greg Lemond as one of the best in what is still the most difficult atheletic event in the world. Pending a satisfing ride with the gentleman selling me this bike, I've decided to purchase looking forward to those early morning and evening rides once again. :banana:

Guacamole

Ken Robb
07-09-2005, 02:20 PM
I'm 6'1 and had a LeMond Zurich 57cm....it was too small

palincss
07-09-2005, 05:09 PM
Actually I'm 6 3 and a half. I have a really long back and never felt comfortable on anything larger than a 60. That's why I would like to know for sure if this bike is a 59 or 61. I measure it to be closer to a 59 but am not sure how lemond measures their bikes. Still it feels great and if there are no warnings about lemond Ti bikes I will buy this weekend.

Guacamole ;)

How indeed does LeMond measure?

I fit 60cm Rivendells. When Tom Kellogg built me a custom Spectrum he built a 59cm, and I have plenty of standover clearance with it. I tried standing over a 59cm LeMond and it was no go, not even tippytoe. That 59cm LeMond fit taller on me than a 62 cm Rivendell would have done. I'd judge it to have at least 3 cm less clearance than my 59cm Spectrum, based on how much clearance I have on my bike and how much that LeMond hurt.