PDA

View Full Version : Euro Riders

jerome
08-14-2011, 01:03 AM
Hello

I would like to make a group of European riders who enjoy cycling the way people in this forum do.

We could

-share advice more easily on our countries and I will be the secretary to built a blog on line on participants living areas, infos,...
-meeting groups for specials occasion - climbing a col togethers, going to a cyclosportive
-giving legs to your spirit on wheels
(open to all ideas)

the main goal will be to take social cycling culture up and us closer to each other.
We might have your friends from over the world interested to join us for a great ride.

I am living in Provence, Cassis, near Aix en Provence and Marseille - 1h from Mt Ventoux - 2h30 from the Galibier, la Forclaz, Ironman d'Embrum... 2h from Nice.

So if you are interested please post an email here (there is way to avoid behind spam geronimo(at)gmail.com for example or geronimo(a)gmail(dot)com
whatever.

I will email you in return and will set up a group email and blog page if a few people are interested.

Waiting for you

bikemoore
08-14-2011, 02:34 AM
Do Americans living in Europe count as Euro riders? Just kidding....of course we do. I live in Rhineland-Pfalz, Germany (Herschberg....south of Kaiserslautern).

Nice daily riding where I live.

Great riding I drive to: the Vosges mountains and the Alsace wine route of eastern France is less than 2 hours drive south. Go there for long summer weekends with the family. I wake up and start a 3-hour ride in the Vosges around Munster, return for breakfast with my family, then prep their bikes for a family ride through the Val de Munster and the Alsace wine route. I get my hard mountain fix and then don't mind at all the slow pace of my wife and small children.

Ahhhh......what a life.

flydhest
08-14-2011, 06:47 AM
Alright, as a moderator, I may have to lock this thread because it is generating an intense amount of jealousy in me. :D

Jerome, my vacations in and around your part of France have always made me want to live there and more importantly to ride there.

Great thread.

jerome
08-16-2011, 01:34 AM
As everybody here in love with bikes and riding are welcome.
I will be happy to have you here and to hand you over a bike for a road or MTB tour.
Provence and the Alps are my backyard - just ask - will help.

I will love to give legs to this post and create a great Serotta Forum based Euro group.

Best

jerome
08-16-2011, 01:38 AM
Do Americans living in Europe count as Euro riders? Just kidding....of course we do. I live in Rhineland-Pfalz, Germany (Herschberg....south of Kaiserslautern).

Nice daily riding where I live.

Great riding I drive to: the Vosges mountains and the Alsace wine route of eastern France is less than 2 hours drive south. Go there for long summer weekends with the family. I wake up and start a 3-hour ride in the Vosges around Munster, return for breakfast with my family, then prep their bikes for a family ride through the Val de Munster and the Alsace wine route. I get my hard mountain fix and then don't mind at all the slow pace of my wife and small children.

Ahhhh......what a life.

Cycling love knows no borders, as wild animals riders are free to roam with their love and great culture (campy and shimano stuff but also humanity and respect for the environment, curiosity for things...)

US citizens living in EU, YES for sure we love you and you show us many times in the history that you are not traveling to Europe just to ride but you are committed to us (as we are to you or some are to speak for my own sake).

best

Welcome Home

flydhest
08-16-2011, 07:08 AM
Jerome for President . . . of exactly what, I'm not sure, but I'll vote for him.

zap
08-16-2011, 08:14 AM
Will be heading to southern France for 2 weeks early next year-cycling camp.

I'm from Germany and have traveled much of Europe but this will be our first cycling trip. Really looking forward to this trip and hope we will be able to climb Ventoux on our tandem.

Karin Kirk
08-16-2011, 09:26 AM
Thanks to the forum I've had wonderful rides with GeorgeK (Gotthard) and Jblande in Switzerland. I am heading back again in Sept. :banana:

I like the idea of organizing like-minded folks in Europe. It can be tricky to plan your trip from afar and it's immensely helpful to have someone on the other side of the ocean to provide key bits of advice. The opportunity to ride with a forumite and see some roads you'd otherwise never find is a huge benefit!

Germany_chris
08-16-2011, 11:14 AM
Thanks to the forum I've had wonderful rides with GeorgeK (Gotthard) and Jblande in Switzerland. I am heading back again in Sept. :banana:

I like the idea of organizing like-minded folks in Europe. It can be tricky to plan your trip from afar and it's immensely helpful to have someone on the other side of the ocean to provide key bits of advice. The opportunity to ride with a forumite and see some roads you'd otherwise never find is a huge benefit!

Lets have a Serotta forums euro ride..we could start in Garmisch down to Italy and over to Switzerland...take a couple of days and be social look at the changing leaves, and mountain vistas and take pictures.

MattTuck
08-16-2011, 11:20 AM
I read something recently that a Big Mac in Switzerland costs $17.00 due to the swiss franc/US$ exchange rate. Not sure how much bikes cost there...

Maybe we should wait on the ride...

http://img.timeinc.net/time/magazine/archive/covers/2011/1101110822_400.jpg

jerome
08-18-2011, 02:18 AM
Yes we are like the ROman Empire.
But at least we are already a too small prey be be eaten by Chinese.

I would like to read something else from people like Fared Zakharia or M. Sandel on Justice and moral duty.

By the way why a US president needs 1 billion to be elected !

stop here the goal here is not to take anybody apart we are all in the same boat - US, European and so on,
to quote a great American that I admire

"don't ask for whom the bell tolls it tolls for you"

God bless us all of us

jerome
08-18-2011, 02:19 AM
Lets have a Serotta forums euro ride..we could start in Garmisch down to Italy and over to Switzerland...take a couple of days and be social look at the changing leaves, and mountain vistas and take pictures.

Yes wonderful

there will be plenty to do.

A Euro group could awesome for everybody

jerome
08-18-2011, 02:22 AM
Jerome for President . . . of exactly what, I'm not sure, but I'll vote for him.

Thank you I accept the duty and will honor it.

Transparency moral justice ... friendship, sun, wheels more wheels and a lot of wine and beer.

Free drink for whom will vote me.

if I am elected because it will go at the expense of taxes payers.

;-)

I d MTB and Road

when will we ride the Great ALL TOGETHER in the Sun belt from spain to Italy ?

jerome
08-18-2011, 03:15 AM
We do need a name to start

Have any ideas ?

I submit to start

¡Venga! CyclesWorks

(Venga the word shooter in the peloton by spanish riders and others now when it is time to attack)

yours ideas are welcome

best

picstloup
08-18-2011, 04:38 AM
I'm another american living in europe...moved to paris in 1996...then down south to montpellier in 2000...

the rides around here are great...temperate weather year round except in summer when heat can be tough...we do get a winter season...it can be cold, but nothing like the New York winters where i was born and raised...

only thing that scares me down here, the drivers...many don't respect traffic lights, stop signs, or traffic circle rules...so, it's cycling on the defensive all the time in town...takes about 25 minutes to hit the country roads and then it's all good...

no big climbs around here, but we have some routes that will test your form...lived for a while in the Cevennes, great riding there too, and wonderful climbs as well...not big mountains like the alps but some climbs of 15 to 20 kilometers...one time drove up to Ganges from Montpellier to meet my club and we did 100 or so kilometers in the mountains there...amazing, beautiful roads if you ever get down here...

it might sound crazy, but i do sometimes miss riding in central park, miss the new york cycle club, the rides up to nyack, bear mountain, westchester...

Lionel
08-18-2011, 08:16 AM
Hey Jerome,

Hi from a neighbor :)

Charles M
08-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Yes we are like the ROman Empire.
But at least we are already a too small prey be be eaten by Chinese.

I would like to read something else from people like Fared Zakharia or M. Sandel on Justice and moral duty.

By the way why a US president needs 1 billion to be elected !

stop here the goal here is not to take anybody apart we are all in the same boat - US, European and so on,
to quote a great American that I admire

"don't ask for whom the bell tolls it tolls for you"

God bless us all of us

When Puma run out of deer, Squirells are next :D

Honestly, why be eurocentric?

Nothing wrong with doing what happens here semi regularly and simply post ride opps for anyone and everyone... In fact you already have a couple of NorthAmerican riders headed that way...

making the world wide web into the state-wide web sounds very Chinese...

picstloup
08-18-2011, 08:30 AM

Nothing wrong with doing what happens here semi regularly and simply post ride opps for anyone and everyone... In fact you already have a couple of NorthAmerican riders headed that way...

not sure about the squirrels but I agree about being euro-centric (is that a word?)...i need to take my camera with me on my rides, even my phone...post some pics...share the joy...i love riding in the south of france, and like i've said, i miss the trips from manhattan over the GWB to Nyack...i loved the little piece along river road in New Jersey...

the club rides here are different though compared to my rides with the NYCC...in NY we'd stop at diners half way through our rides to eat...we never stop like that here in France...we carry our food...only stop for water at some of the numerous outdoor fountains...and this is something i prefer...stopping for an hour with a group to eat was nice, but getting warmed up on the bike again was hell...

ok...peace and love to all of you on both sides of the pond...

jerome
08-22-2011, 01:14 AM
Hey Jerome,

Hi from a neighbor :)

Hello Lionel

Good to have you near by

Would you try to set this up with me ?
an Euro - group for bicycle lover.

you can email me medsalmon(at)yahoo.com

best

jerome
08-22-2011, 01:22 AM
not sure about the squirrels but I agree about being euro-centric (is that a word?)...i need to take my camera with me on my rides, even my phone...post some pics...share the joy...i love riding in the south of france, and like i've said, i miss the trips from manhattan over the GWB to Nyack...i loved the little piece along river road in New Jersey...

the club rides here are different though compared to my rides with the NYCC...in NY we'd stop at diners half way through our rides to eat...we never stop like that here in France...we carry our food...only stop for water at some of the numerous outdoor fountains...and this is something i prefer...stopping for an hour with a group to eat was nice, but getting warmed up on the bike again was hell...

ok...peace and love to all of you on both sides of the pond...

I do agree with you it is also why despite being French native and loving the place (despite that it is more and more part of encroached earth - after Mc Donald's we have pick up the worst of America and French business are super greedy destructing and pollution gas much as they can)
I also miss my rides in Berkeley, and San Francisco, the Golden Bridge, Mt Tam ... and the bike culture.

So it is why we could arrange some rides or short trip here all together to ride in France, Italy and Spain with an American way of life (I mean old American friendly, socially responsible, team spirit, coffee and bakery (good ones only), pasta, no race and mutual emulation).

May be an Euro-group is not best but a few people organizing for others might be good.
To speak i"internet" a clustered world each one as a part of the message.

Better ?

jerome
08-22-2011, 01:26 AM

Ok ! Thank you for the advice. Will think about it.

Are we the squirrels ? who are the Puma, China so you are already done you were the deer (your part of America) I imagine.

Speaking of this why not just contribute to the other forum and cycling magazine on the web.

Who need thousands doing the same things in the same way ?
Would be better to have a large same market place where people will contribute to the cycling culture like the internet.

:rolleyes:

rustychisel
08-22-2011, 01:57 AM
We do need a name to start

Have any ideas ?

Eurotta, a poor start.

Lovely part of the world Jerome, I was there in 2009 but spent most of my time in the Languedoc, the valley of the Tarne, the Canal du Midi, and a few days in Avignon. Have previously been to the Savoie Alps and mt Ventoux, etc

Lionel
08-22-2011, 04:33 AM
Hello Lionel

Good to have you near by

Would you try to set this up with me ?
an Euro - group for bicycle lover.

you can email me medsalmon(at)yahoo.com

best
Would be happy to help some or help out on rides around Aix-en-Provence for visitors.

Germany_chris
08-22-2011, 11:30 AM
I'm another american living in europe...moved to paris in 1996...then down south to montpellier in 2000...

the rides around here are great...temperate weather year round except in summer when heat can be tough...we do get a winter season...it can be cold, but nothing like the New York winters where i was born and raised...

only thing that scares me down here, the drivers...many don't respect traffic lights, stop signs, or traffic circle rules...so, it's cycling on the defensive all the time in town...takes about 25 minutes to hit the country roads and then it's all good...

no big climbs around here, but we have some routes that will test your form...lived for a while in the Cevennes, great riding there too, and wonderful climbs as well...not big mountains like the alps but some climbs of 15 to 20 kilometers...one time drove up to Ganges from Montpellier to meet my club and we did 100 or so kilometers in the mountains there...amazing, beautiful roads if you ever get down here...

it might sound crazy, but i do sometimes miss riding in central park, miss the new york cycle club, the rides up to nyack, bear mountain, westchester...

My parents in Highland Falls I have a few scars on my legs from mountain biking Bear Mountain..