PDA

View Full Version : Training Bike suggestions

FixedNotBroken
08-13-2011, 02:57 PM
I am most likely purchasing a Merlin ExtraLight to be my main ride and then I will use my Cervelo to race with. The Cervelo is built up with 2011 Record 11 and the Merlin will have 7800. I am a Campy guy and since the Merlin won't be my race machine, should I build it up with Chorus compared to spending the extra dough on SR, Record? I am of course putting 11 speed on there so I can flip wheels easier. My Cervelo weighs something like 14.2 and I am not sure what the Merlin will weigh afterwards. I was going to put a bombproof 1600 gram wheel set on it, and not go for weight weenie but I love my Record stuff..how should I build this rig up?

Thanks ahead.

AngryScientist
08-13-2011, 03:35 PM
i've used both, chorus is absolutely as functional as record, period. record and SR weigh a bit less, but functionally, they're all the same.

SR is really over the top, consider that quite a few teams in the pro peloton run record, not super-record.

if you can afford it, and thats what makes you happy, go for the top tier, but in the end, you're not losing anything running chorus.

jr59
08-13-2011, 03:43 PM
11 speed athena. It works and is reasonable.

I also have record one 1 bike and chorus on another, and athena on a thrid. It's hard to tell them apart!

flydhest
08-13-2011, 03:45 PM
you could easily go further downscale on the training bike without sacrificing performance.

FixedNotBroken
08-13-2011, 03:47 PM
I am not trying to save weight with this build whatsoever. I do like the looks of the 11' Record over the Chorus just because the red accents and the vents in the shifters but that doesn't make a difference at all. Minus the weight, Chorus feels the same?

avalonracing
08-13-2011, 04:12 PM
More than once I've made the mistake of putting too nice components (wheels, tires, etc) on a training bike (that I keep too clean) and you know what happens... I don't want to ride it when the weather is crappy and I should be riding it as my training/all-weather bike.

bikeman0027
08-13-2011, 04:16 PM
I ride an old Gary Fisher Marlin with slicks and a bad bottom bracket :) On bad days it makes me dream of going fast on my road bike and the weather and pain don't seem that bad anymore.

FixedNotBroken
08-13-2011, 04:39 PM
More than once I've made the mistake of putting too nice components (wheels, tires, etc) on a training bike (that I keep too clean) and you know what happens... I don't want to ride it when the weather is crappy and I should be riding it as my training/all-weather bike.

True..I need to keep in mind a training bike is a training bike.

Charles M
08-13-2011, 04:54 PM
and with that... why not leave it 7800?

bike22
08-13-2011, 05:07 PM
sell me the 7800.

oldpotatoe
08-13-2011, 05:51 PM
I am most likely purchasing a Merlin ExtraLight to be my main ride and then I will use my Cervelo to race with. The Cervelo is built up with 2011 Record 11 and the Merlin will have 7800. I am a Campy guy and since the Merlin won't be my race machine, should I build it up with Chorus compared to spending the extra dough on SR, Record? I am of course putting 11 speed on there so I can flip wheels easier. My Cervelo weighs something like 14.2 and I am not sure what the Merlin will weigh afterwards. I was going to put a bombproof 1600 gram wheel set on it, and not go for weight weenie but I love my Record stuff..how should I build this rig up?

Thanks ahead.

Build the Merlin with SR11s, have 2 sets of wheels, sell the Cervelo and the 7800 stuff and bobs yer uncle.

fogrider
08-13-2011, 09:54 PM
go with athena; I run my legend ti as my training bike with 9 speed chorus and every time I go out when the weather is not good, I never regret not upgrading my equipment. the extra weight is good for 'training' and bulletproof build it key for a training bike. I always feel faster when I get on my 'race' bike.

dhoff
08-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Build the Merlin with SR11s, have 2 sets of wheels, sell the Cervelo and the 7800 stuff and bobs yer uncle.

I am close to of the same opinion. But first, see what fits better. Performance will at least partially, correlate to fit.

flydhest
08-14-2011, 06:51 AM
old potato's suggestion seems interesting. I am curious what most people think. I like having two bikes, one more or less "training" and the other ready for racing. I end up training on the racing bike a lot in season, but (ignoring cost) having a second bike ready to go is a good thing.

Is the reason for the OP (and others) to have a training bike because we here like to own multiple bikes? Because you want a back up in case one gets broken (think Lou Reed)? Because keeping the race bike clean takes up too much time?

My training bike fits somewhat differently than my race bike, a fact that I am coming to dislike more and more and to realize isn't very sensible.

oldpotatoe
08-14-2011, 07:05 AM
old potato's suggestion seems interesting. I am curious what most people think. I like having two bikes, one more or less "training" and the other ready for racing. I end up training on the racing bike a lot in season, but (ignoring cost) having a second bike ready to go is a good thing.

Is the reason for the OP (and others) to have a training bike because we here like to own multiple bikes? Because you want a back up in case one gets broken (think Lou Reed)? Because keeping the race bike clean takes up too much time?

My training bike fits somewhat differently than my race bike, a fact that I am coming to dislike more and more and to realize isn't very sensible.

Well, I don't race anymore but riding and then racing the same bike makes sense to me. There are no 'penalties' if using the Merlin..or the Cervelo for that matter, all the time. Just have some training wheels and race wheels. The weight differences between the 2 bikes is minimal and largely unimportant. Fit, comfort, confidence, function and training, lack of fat, training and racing smart...far more important.

I have 2 main bikes, Moots for the wet, Waterford for the dry.

mike p
08-14-2011, 07:49 AM
My training bike is a 20 to 30 yr old steel giordana. With a mix of old ultegra and dura ace. 8 speed, I did say old! It has a 36 spoke rear wheel and 32 front. I don't feel bad going out in any weather, mud, or off road cond. Also makes my race bike feel GREAT!!

Mike

Scott Shire
08-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Man I hate to do this. Especially to a Campagnista like FnB. But I think you're right in ditching the 7800. The shifting on Shim's first 10sp group just isn't up to the quality level you're used to. :crap: (of course, 7400/7700/7900 are stunningly awesome and could totally convert you)

The Chorus is a nice gruppo, but I know you live by the philosophy "baller or die" :D and if you're going to stay 11s Record might be a better fit for you. I'm just doing my civic duty to prevent the thread "FS: Barely used Chorus11 gruppo".

If compatibility is less of a concern, try SRAM :eek: A package with Rival ders + brakes, Force cranks, and Red brifters would be REALLY nice to train on and would cost almost a grand less than a chorus build.

Kontact
08-14-2011, 11:23 AM
I'd be much more inclined to put the nicer stuff on the training bike, where you'll log more time and be less likely to crash. On a race bike I'd probably use good wheels and a DA crank with Rival, Centaur or 105 for the rest.

forrestw
08-14-2011, 12:26 PM
After ensuring the fit is similar between the bikes (a race bike may want a slightly different setup from your daily ride, probably depends on the kind of racing too) .... Chorus/Athena/Centaur 10/11 speed I think any mix will serve you just fine.

FixedNotBroken
08-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Man I hate to do this. Especially to a Campagnista like FnB. But I think you're right in ditching the 7800. The shifting on Shim's first 10sp group just isn't up to the quality level you're used to. :crap: (of course, 7400/7700/7900 are stunningly awesome and could totally convert you)

The Chorus is a nice gruppo, but I know you live by the philosophy "baller or die" :D and if you're going to stay 11s Record might be a better fit for you. I'm just doing my civic duty to prevent the thread "FS: Barely used Chorus11 gruppo".

If compatibility is less of a concern, try SRAM :eek: A package with Rival ders + brakes, Force cranks, and Red brifters would be REALLY nice to train on and would cost almost a grand less than a chorus build.

Wow..you just peaked into my head about the "baller or die" haha :p I just like nice bikes :cool: oh well. No offense but I have tried SRAM, Red to be exact and I prefer the Record. I guess what I was trying to figure out is on a training bike, should I try to make it light? Chorus isn't that much heavier anyway but the wheels will make the bike heavy i'm thinking.

The one thing I am wondering. Do the Merlin Extralight's flex? I ride a small frame as you guys know so I don't think it will flex but I weigh around 170 and I was hoping it would work.

jr59
08-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Yea, it's going to flex! For sure!

But it will ride like a magic carpet!

binxnyrwarrsoul
08-14-2011, 02:53 PM
I don't race, so I don't "train", per se. So I don't have a race bike and a training bike. What I do have is two very nice road bikes, a very light carbon Chorus, and a very nice riding steel Record, and an older aluminum Veloce road bike. I take the nice/light bikes out when I have a lot of climbing, am with friends or wanna ride fast. I take the older bike out when I don't want to worry about every little rock that gets kicked up and it getting scratched, or if it starts raining. Funny thing is, I tend to go to the old bike more because I focus more on riding than worrying about the nice bike. Dunno what this adds, just my gig. Always thought the move was race bike with training wheels, same bike to raced with light racing wheels.

firerescuefin
08-14-2011, 03:22 PM
The one thing I am wondering. Do the Merlin Extralight's flex? I ride a small frame as you guys know so I don't think it will flex but I weigh around 170 and I was hoping it would work.

You flexing an Extralight is not going to be a problem. I've raced their compact frame for awhile :cool:

FixedNotBroken
08-14-2011, 03:24 PM
You flexing an Extralight is not going to be a problem. :cool:

So are you saying I should stay clear from it?

firerescuefin
08-14-2011, 03:28 PM
So are you saying I should stay clear from it?

No...it's a great frame...you may find that you prefer it to your Cervelo (or not)...what I am saying is that you are not going to generate so much power that you find it flexy. It's made to race and ride hard.

FixedNotBroken
08-14-2011, 03:41 PM
No...it's a great frame...you may find that you prefer it to your Cervelo (or not)...what I am saying is that you are not going to generate so much power that you find it flexy. It's made to race and ride hard.

The one that I am going to purchase is compact as well!