PDA

View Full Version : iMapMyRIDE+ Reviews

bikeman0027
08-13-2011, 11:10 AM
I saw the iMapMyRIDE+ for my Android smartphone advertised during the Tour and just recently downloaded it. I have only been out on a few rides and have mixed feelings.

I don't have the extra dinero laying around to buy a Garmin. Is this my best option for now? What does everyone think?

GuyGadois
08-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Strava for smartphone is nice and free too

GG

kramnnim
08-13-2011, 11:48 AM
How's the phone battery life with these? I have neither Garmin nor smartphone, not sure which to get first.

mgm777
08-13-2011, 12:58 PM
I used mapmyride on my iPhone for short rides, but not for longer rides. It is a battery suck on my iPhone. Now, I use the Garmin 500 and have been very pleased.

bikeman0027
08-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Hey Kramnnim, I agree with this one. It has been a battery suck, but produces some good data. I like the ability to share my route/stats via social media.

I used mapmyride on my iPhone for short rides, but not for longer rides. It is a battery suck on my iPhone. Now, I use the Garmin 500 and have been very pleased.

bikeman0027
08-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks GuyGadois. How does it differ form iMapMyRIDE+? Do you think it uses less battery?

Strava for smartphone is nice and free too

GG

charlie68
08-13-2011, 07:52 PM
I have used CycleMeter on my iPhone with some success. Battery use is reasonable and has lasted for rides over 4 hours. I've never used iMapMyRide so I cannot compare.

fireproof1905
08-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Thanks GuyGadois. How does it differ form iMapMyRIDE+? Do you think it uses less battery?

I have the plus and there's not a huge difference between the normal verison but like it's been said before if you don't have money to get a bike gps, then this is perfect and it produces alot of info as well as lets you listen to your music. I would suggest this app it works great. I use mine with an arm band and it works awesome. I've tried several apps and this one seems to be the best to me. sharing on social media is nice to there's a live option that people can see where your at which is cool. it also has come in handy for helping set up rides with friends.. here's a link for the plus telling you more about it.. It looks like the difference between free and plus besides the money is it adds cycling and afew other options..

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/imapmyride-cycling-bicycling/id306561234?mt=8

forrestw
08-13-2011, 08:31 PM
I haven't used the app / don't like the mapmyride website very well (slow and most of it's screen real-estate is ads). I took a look at this app and wasn't much impressed -- as expected you can't use it without a MMR account; also the Market page says 'FREE - for a limited time'.

Look at MyTracks, developed by Google employees. Has support for 2 bluetooth HRMs and SRM powermeter, easy to use and if you want to use it only as a GPS you can put it in 'airline' mode, turning off all radios and it will still track, that would extend battery life, probably to 24 hours or more on my phone.

MyTracks can send your maps to your google acct as maps and / or google docs.

bikeman0027
08-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks fireproof1905, good review. I didn't think about the music factor. Very cool.

I have the plus and there's not a huge difference between the normal verison but like it's been said before if you don't have money to get a bike gps, then this is perfect and it produces alot of info as well as lets you listen to your music. I would suggest this app it works great. I use mine with an arm band and it works awesome. I've tried several apps and this one seems to be the best to me. sharing on social media is nice to there's a live option that people can see where your at which is cool. it also has come in handy for helping set up rides with friends.. here's a link for the plus telling you more about it.. It looks like the difference between free and plus besides the money is it adds cycling and afew other options..

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/imapmyride-cycling-bicycling/id306561234?mt=8

bikeman0027
08-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Do you know if CycleMeter is available to Android? Thanks for your input.

I have used CycleMeter on my iPhone with some success. Battery use is reasonable and has lasted for rides over 4 hours. I've never used iMapMyRide so I cannot compare.

charlie68
08-14-2011, 05:43 AM
According to their website, CycleMeter is only available for an iPhone and works best with the multi-tasking version of the operating system.

GuyGadois
08-14-2011, 10:11 AM

I haven't used mapmyride so I can't tell you about that. I really like the social aspect of Strava and the way they rate climbs, tracks KOMs and efforts (calculate power without owning a power meter - close but not foolproof). I only use the app when my Garmin is unavailable and it does fine with battery. No problems.

GG

beungood
08-15-2011, 12:33 PM
How do you track the ride with the Android? Another App or one already on there? Ive used map my ride but it doesnt seem to work well...

branflakes
08-15-2011, 01:52 PM
i have been using Endomondo on android for a few weeks now and have been very pleased. the interface is simple, their website is clean, and it has even retained my ride stats up to the point my battery died (meaning i didn't lose my ride but rather it uploaded either just before it died, or immediately after rebirth). endomondo also will work with the 2 hrm's with bluetooth, and supports the ant+ standard if the phone has the radio.

i have been a mapmyride user on the pc for a few years but their climbing info is completely off and it kind of skews the experience for me. their android application is very flat and unappealing, and lacks the intuitive design and function of endomondo.

i've just d/l strava to give it a try.

oh, and this is important: i took my fully charged out with me this morning for a ride. total ride tracked via endomondo was 2h30m and it used roughly half of my battery (along with taking about 30 pictures). if i can get 4h30m from a phone application i'll be covered on 90% of the rides i take.

beungood
08-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Om some of my loops (Blue Hills observatory climb) it seem to stop when I get to the summit. I don't know if TV towers have anything to do with it. Some of the data doesnt seem right either.