PDA

View Full Version : rack for commuting FOUND!!!!

stephenmarklay
08-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Do you folks have a favorite commuting setup? I am using a seat post clamp rack and it is OK but not great. The Topeak racks with integrated bags look cool but I read about a bag falling off and bags ripping.

xjoex
08-12-2011, 03:09 PM
I am a fan of the Jandd Expedition racks. They are super stout, and easy to mount. I have used them for commuting and touring.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-0g38WodSHZA/TWQrxth621I/AAAAAAAADMU/WeGvToVpqFw/s576/IMG_3795.jpg

Review and more pics
http://robonza.blogspot.com/search?q=expedition

Bradford
08-12-2011, 05:01 PM
The quick answer is any decent rack and panniers will work well enough. I've commuted on cheapos from Performance and Jandd panniers, both worked just fine. If your load is really light, any cheap rack trunk will work.

I too have a Jandd expedition, and it is the most awesome rack I've ever seen...but it is really heavy. It sits panniers pretty far back on the rack because it is so long, so if you have size 47s like me, you won't clip a bag with your heels. I also find the metal plate that runs down the rack gives better support for rack trunks.

I also have a blackburn, which I've used for commuting and I've toured on it several times. Works just fine.

I also have a Tubus Cargo, really good rack, lighter than the Jandd. The lack of metal plate puts more strain on the rack trunk, and makes strapping random stuff to the rack without a bag problematic, but it works really well.

Most of the time, the Tubus is on the tandem, the blackburn is on the touring bike for around town stuff, and the Jandd hangs on the wall. When I do something like Ride the Rockies or Copper Triangle, I put the Tubus on the touring bike. When I tour, the Jannd goes back on the bike.

How is your budget? Jandd just came out with a ti rack that comes in really light...that would be what I would get if money were no object.

Aaron O
08-12-2011, 05:22 PM
The quick answer is any decent rack and panniers will work well enough. I've commuted on cheapos from Performance and Jandd panniers, both worked just fine. If your load is really light, any cheap rack trunk will work.

I too have a Jandd expedition, and it is the most awesome rack I've ever seen...but it is really heavy. It sits panniers pretty far back on the rack because it is so long, so if you have size 47s like me, you won't clip a bag with your heels. I also find the metal plate that runs down the rack gives better support for rack trunks.

I also have a blackburn, which I've used for commuting and I've toured on it several times. Works just fine.

I also have a Tubus Cargo, really good rack, lighter than the Jandd. The lack of metal plate puts more strain on the rack trunk, and makes strapping random stuff to the rack without a bag problematic, but it works really well.

Most of the time, the Tubus is on the tandem, the blackburn is on the touring bike for around town stuff, and the Jandd hangs on the wall. When I do something like Ride the Rockies or Copper Triangle, I put the Tubus on the touring bike. When I tour, the Jannd goes back on the bike.

How is your budget? Jandd just came out with a ti rack that comes in really light...that would be what I would get if money were no object.

+1...unless you're carrying a lot of weight, pretty much anything is fine, excepting the cheapest junk. It's always ideal for the rack to hook up to eyelets, but for a standard commuter, I really don't think p clamps are that critical.

I also use the SS Tubus racks because I'm hoping to take that bike cross country (it's probably a pipe dream for now). It's honestly overkill for most purposes.

etu
08-12-2011, 05:46 PM
i have a large saddle bag supported by a rear rack - rivendell setup. i found horizontal configuration more convenient than panniers.
you need a saddle with bag loops - Brooks B17

stephenmarklay
08-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Thanks you guys! I had some jandd gear in the past and thought highly of it. Sounds good for me. I like side bags for carrying heavy stuff like milk for better handling. I don't like the high center of gravity and tail wagging with a loaded trunk.

oldpotatoe
08-13-2011, 07:33 AM
+1...unless you're carrying a lot of weight, pretty much anything is fine, excepting the cheapest junk. It's always ideal for the rack to hook up to eyelets, but for a standard commuter, I really don't think p clamps are that critical.

I also use the SS Tubus racks because I'm hoping to take that bike cross country (it's probably a pipe dream for now). It's honestly overkill for most purposes.

Just a note about Tubus. Sold the rear I had on my touring Waterford demo, called Ortleib(Tubus distributor) and they hare backordered for most Tubus rears for a loooooonnnngggg time, like maybe a year..great.

Lewym
08-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Do you folks have a favorite commuting setup? I am using a seat post clamp rack and it is OK but not great. The to peak racks with integrated bags look cool but I read about a bag falling of and bags ripping.
Depends on how much you need to carry. The Topeak set up looks pretty slick. Don't know if they are reliable and they only come in black.

For the past year, I've been using a Racktime Standit (http://www.racktime.com/en/rear-carriers/standit) (comes in black or silver) with their integrated trunk bag (http://www.racktime.com/en/bicycle-bags/trunkit-large). I like the set up a lot. I have a locker at work, so I don't need to carry much and it is nice to put the weight on the bike and off my back. And the integrated bag is slick and super-easy to clip out and go.

Note, however, that Racktime is owned by Tubus, so OldP's comment that Tubus is backordered might be relevant to Racktime as well.

Fixed
08-13-2011, 09:05 AM
I am a fan of the Jandd Expedition racks. They are super stout, and easy to mount. I have used them for commuting and touring.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-0g38WodSHZA/TWQrxth621I/AAAAAAAADMU/WeGvToVpqFw/s576/IMG_3795.jpg

Review and more pics
http://robonza.blogspot.com/search?q=expedition

thanks for the heads-up
i start riding again soon. i am going to start out riding my monocog 29er that rack looks very nice imho
cheers

Aaron O
08-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Just a note about Tubus. Sold the rear I had on my touring Waterford demo, called Ortleib(Tubus distributor) and they hare backordered for most Tubus rears for a loooooonnnngggg time, like maybe a year..great.

If I recall, it was the front I was waiting FOREVER on. I ordered from Wayne at thetouringstore.com (by the way, GREAT GUY!) and it took a solid 3-4 months to get the front rack.

bikeman0027
08-13-2011, 11:07 AM
I really like the Trek/Bontrager Interchange rack with the easy release system. This bag http://bontrager.com/model/07719 has fold-out panniers that are perfect for holding cloths and shoes. The trunk itself is good for valuables.

I have used one on my commuter/trail bike for a few years now. It stays in place and is spacious enough to hold all equipment/clothes.

roguedog
08-13-2011, 11:17 AM
I really like my Nitto Big Back Rack (http://www.rivbike.com/products/show/big-back-rack-nitto/20-022). Been working for me on my commutes. Overkill but hey.. I'm prepared if I ever decide to do anything heftier. And I got off of craigslist for a great price ($50) a few years back.

I've also heard good things bout Old Man Mountain racks.

http://www.oldmanmountain.com/Pages/RackPages/RearRacks.html

6mt
08-16-2011, 05:15 AM
looks like I'm a bit late to the party.

I've came across this new company called Freeload. It's a New Zealand company. they seem to be very well designed, and manufactured. I've just ordered mine through Universal Cycle

and as for panniers, i really like the functionality of Deuter. their rain cover is a nice touch.

http://www.freeload.co.nz/

stephenmarklay
08-16-2011, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Yesterday I saw an ad in my local CL of panniers and a rack.

The rack was the Racktime ADDit and panniers are Ortieb Classic back rollers.

I actually had a set of those panniers in red already stored away. I like the panniers a lot when I used them commuting some years ago but I was thinking they were overkill for my current needs (Waterfproof not really needed :) )

Anyway, I brought them home and got it all set up. Without this thread I am not sure I would have done it but the knowledge of Racktime swayed me. I like the design of the rack as it has lower bars for the panniers to drop the bags lower.

6mt
08-16-2011, 07:01 AM
awesome!! enjoy.

jamesutiopia
08-16-2011, 07:38 AM
My Tubus rack came from TheTouringStore and shipped immediately, but was purchased several years ago so I don't know the current situation. I do know that Harris Cyclery has most of the Tubus racks in stock right now, because I saw them hanging on the wall last weekend.

roguedog
08-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Ohh.. I like the look of those RackIts. Like that you can get them in silver and black.

Nice find. Happy commuting!

Aaron O
08-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Very well done...I think you'll be in great shape. Awesome bags!

stephenmarklay
08-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Ohh.. I like the look of those RackIts. Like that you can get them in silver and black.

Nice find. Happy commuting!

I would have liked silver but the rack was "free" with the bags and the bags were less than new and it all is like new condition. besides with the black bags the silver rack would not make much difference.

Serotta_Carbon
08-16-2011, 05:31 PM
I'm a big fan of Bruce Gordon's racks. They're made from 4130 aircraft tubing and absolutely bullet proof. He also has a great attachment system for his bags which is foolproof, quick, and the bags will never bounce off while traveling over bumpy road surfaces. These bags have none of the plastic clips and brackets that are the failure point on other bags I've used over the years.

In another two weeks I'll be doing some road testing down the Oregon coast on my Rock & Road and my gal will be on her new carbon Tourista all decked out with Bruces gear. (Custom rack & bags....)

Also very important these days....His racks & bags are made right here in America with US materials and as another domestic manufacturer I'm here to tell you we all need and appreciate the business!

Oh...I almost forgot to mention they're priced very similar to the offshore competition but are far superior and will last forever.

Give him a call & keep the dollar$ in the States!

Bradford
08-16-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm a big fan of Bruce Gordon's racks. They're made from 4130 aircraft tubing and absolutely bullet proof. He also has a great attachment system for his bags which is foolproof, quick, and the bags will never bounce off while traveling over bumpy road surfaces.
Those are great racks. I've always wanted a set of Gordon racks.

I didn't know he made panniers, but they look really nice too. The backs look a little small for self-supported touring, but they are great looking bags.

stephenmarklay
08-17-2011, 06:10 PM
I gave this the old testaroo today. Went to the grocery and came out with two paper bags. About 10 pounds each.

Worked perfect. Standing climbing was also pretty good. The low center of gravity helps.

The panniers are a perfect fit for a grocery bag. Drops right in.

Perfect for my needs.

Aaron O
08-17-2011, 06:17 PM
whoops...ignore, made a booboo